Essential Apps and Websites?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramblin McPete

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've been trying to find the best android apps and Websites to get myself oriented and organized. So far, this site has been a wonderful source of info, as has been Youtube. For apps, Free roam looks very useful. There are tons of apps out there but many look weak or not very popular...I tried freecampsites.net but when I registered the map went away and all I have are text pages, so not sure how to use their site.

So, what sites or apps do you rely on for navigating and finding places to stay? Please list your daily essentials! TIA

McPete

Rest Stops shows where the rest.stops are and if they.are open along the interstates.

iExit shows what is at each exit along the way.

campendium is like Free campsites. I usually cross reference between them.

Trucker Path shows where truck stops are and where rig parking is. If you register and pay it has more features but I don't need most of it since I'm in a car.

I use:

Google Maps
iOverlander
AllTrails
Campendium
FreeCampsites
US Public Lands
Gas Buddy
Weather Underground

Benchmark maps also show the BLM and NFS as well as the variousother federal and state lands places where their is camping allowed. Pretty useful to have paper maps for planning when internet service is limited or not reliable. Also a good resource as you can plan out travel in a less frustrating and calm way see ing all the roads as well as towns at one time.

The thing I like best about the PocketEarth app is that it tracks your location in real time, without internet access.

Users can download countries, states, cities to use offline, and you are then never, ever lost.

It pinpoints your exact location, then tracks your every step.

I am old fashion, I primarily rely on,

Experience
Instinct
Good old paper maps.

I will do research on the internet but I don't rely on it.

Highdesertranger

Thanks again for the suggestions....howver almost all turn out to be for iPhone. I am specifically looking for Android apps.

I totally agree on the paper maps and some hard copy resources too. It's great to have both physical maps and Internet tools.

just looked on my android...all on android except allstays, campendium, pocket earth....lol

Yeah, all the ones I listed are on my Android phone.

OK, well I was confused...some are on Android, and others are not apps apparently, but rather websites...So when I looked for a Gasbuddy app for instance I don't see it on the Google play store. But it is a website, so I will check through these again. Thanks folks! :)

Wow, that is bizarre. On my 6 year old tablet, a lot of these apps do not appear in the play store. They are not there. But, if I search on them in my browser, the sites pop up with a link to the app in the play store. Very weird. Anyhow, on my new phone this isnt an issue, so all is well.:)

The android operating system has to be new enough to support the app(s). Some will run on older systems and some will not. I would guess apple is the same way.

Yup, I think that is exactly the issue, old tablet. I was doing research on that, and then only putting the most useful stuff on my phone. But now I know...

Thanks again everyone for the excellent suggestions. This makes it so much easier than traveling back in the old days.