apps for nomads

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeke1953

Reaction score
well, its almost time!!  I'll be starting off on the road in just a couple of weeks. 1st stop will be southern  Maryland, where I'll be doing a remodeling project for my daughter. Then I hit the road as a full time Nomad. I can't wait. I'm looking for help/advice on using the search function on this site. I want to find out what apps are essential, which ones are nice to have.  ya know, like dump stations, boondocking, etc.  I'm sure that has been covered here at one time or another, but my search skills are a little lacking. can someone point me in the right direction? either apps or search parameters.  Thanks.

Ultimate Campgrounds
Displays campgrounds in any price range you select in the filters from expensive to free. Displays all types of campgrounds from private RV parks, National Park, State Parks, Forest Service, BLM. Even shows LTVAs and dispersed camping areas

iOverlander
Displays user based campsites from wherever users have camped. Also shows places to get propane, water, mechanics, and dump stations. You need to be careful with this one as some of the people using the app are serious off roaders and some of the sites listed are pretty difficult to get to. Most sites however tend to be pull offs from roads.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I use gas buddy to find the best gas prices

My favorite apps are:
Gaia GPS — a really good app for mapping out routes.
Avenza — this is the app to use for finding BLM land, national forests, and places where dispersed camping is allowed. This app, in combination with Gaia GPS for mapping the route is my most used pair.

For weather I really like Dark Sky.

An app called The Dyrt is good for finding camp sites and has quite a few reviews of the sites.

All of these are on the App Store. I am guessing they are also available for Androids.