Escape from New York...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy N

Reaction score
I live in Central New York, and 3 of my 4 kids have moved west, plus I visit a friend in Seattle every year. At first, I thought I would build a tiny house, and I took a workshop and all. So now I could build one -- but it's just me and the parakeet, so I'm thinking the logistics on the road are not great for one woman alone. Van life is something I could do. I have a 2009 Toyota Sienna, and I can see myself on the road soon with a "no-build build", with one exception. I'm going to try my building skills on a very compact towable bathroom unit. Wish me luck!

Welcome to the CRVL forums Amy! I don't think anyone on the forums has built a towable bathroom unit. Make sure to keep us updated! And good luck!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Good luck, and welcome!

A note about traveling with birds, my mom always had birds and wouldn’t take her birds when they went RVing, something about stress from temperature char gets/extremes. I know nothing about them but seems like a good thing to look into.

Ah, my bird is half the reason I want to travel by car. Can't get her on a plane or on Amtrak even. And I really miss her when we're apart. She sings to me!

you mentioned your bird in another thread, I responded just google 'Tioga George' cause he traveled with his bird all the time. That bird and him got around in fine shape. Sadly he passed but he has alot of info about his bird on his blog IF IT is still up? but Tioga George took his bird everywhere!

best of luck on your new adventure!

I think you could easily rig such a trailer.  The Toyota is supposed to be good for towing 3500 lbs.

If your trailer had a shower stall, chemical toilet, water tank w/pump w/ house battery, an on demand
water heater, and LP gas tank.....you would have all you need.  A 12volt DC lighting fixture and perhaps a roof vent/fan could round out the build.

For really low bucks,  you could find a large plastic basin for the shower and form a square frame of electricians conduit pipe the same size as the basin to hang a shower curtain from you could have a shower stall.  You'd have to mount the frame on cross bars across the side walls of the trailer.  Then make one of those 2 gallon garden sprayer showers that uses a kitchen sink sprayer/w hose spliced to the 2 gallon garden sprayer.  This could eliminate the big water storage tank, pump, battery, and on demand hot water heater.  And it would be a quick build.

You would only need to figure out a drain system for the basin.  I have a large one that was my old Tom Cat's liter box when he was around with me.  "rip".  That box was probably 30 X 30 X 8. 

Thetford RV plastic toilets makes some inexpensive chemical toilets.  Not difficult to care for and can be emptied in  restroom toilets or campground chemical toilet dump stations.  They are in two pieces, the seat & lid and the tank below.

Here is a 2 1/2 minute Youtube Video that shows all of this:

Thetford Chemical Toilet Eaplained

Latest posts