Engel Refrigerator sale

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. Substantial discounts. I am making the whynter 65 quart dual zone work for now. I figured I'd run it until it dies and then look into a different model. I only have 100 watts of solar and putting more on my particular van is non-trivial.

I do fill up the 65 quart sometimes. But some of that food could go in a soft bag, or remain in refrigerated.

I am starting to think that an ideal setup would be a small efficient compressor fridge for those things that truly need constant refrigeration, an ice cooler for when more capacity is needed, and a soft refrigerator bag for minimal refrigeration. Plus, the ice cooler and the bag could go outside at night, or could be placed on the north side of a parked van.

I sometimes meditate on the folly of keeping a refrigerated box inside a van that heats up in the sun.

towhee said:
I sometimes meditate on the folly of keeping a refrigerated box inside a van that heats up in the sun.
Even better, snowy winter outside, heated camper with a fridge, inside that your compartment to keep the butter soft. :cool:

The 45 is now out of stock....

Murphy's law right? Find a good deal and I'm either broke or it expired, lol!!!

That's ok, not exactly ready today anyway...

But soon!

galladanb said:
Murphy's law right? Find a good deal and I'm either broke or it expired, lol!!!
That's the same kind of luck I have. :(

jimindenver said:
Ordered the MT-45 and having it shipped to Cottonwood

So when does that mean you'll get here?... :D

PM on the way with my phone number.

I'm waiting for the we have shipped email and a check to get here at the park. I'm tired of this heat.

Just called this AM, the 45 is back in stock. Have one on the way! Thanks HDR

Engel called me today to confirm addresses. It will ship tomorrow and be in Cottonwood next Wednesday. Too bad I didn't call them Friday, it would have been at this park this week.

When does this sale end. Im in the market for one, and this is a great savings, but wont have enough to cover it until saturday.

I wonder why they are having this sale.

Moving out old stock? Getting ready to launch a new model line?

Pretty significant price cuts on this sale.

SternWake said:
I wonder why they are having this sale.

Moving out old stock? Getting ready to launch a new model line?

Pretty significant price cuts on this sale.

I was wondering the same thing.

For those who have experience with both, is Engel worth the extra $$ over Whynter?

Well right now there isn't the big difference in price. I'm told the Engel will be quieter. Otherwise I probably would have been happier with the dual zone except it's rated for twice the consumption.

mayble said:
For those who have experience with both, is Engel worth the extra $$ over Whynter?

The steel case Engels are significantly more efficient than pretty much everything out there as the condenser is very large and the hot air that comes of of it can go straight up and out without the use of a fan.  I'm not sure that there is any other 12v fridge has the thermosiphon setup as described above to allow the compressor to run without a cooling fan most of the time.  There is a "Turbo" fan in them that is temp controlled, but it has to be rather warm for it to come on.   Because the fan runs so little, a whole lot less dust is drawn into the works of the unit.  I cleaned my ten year Engel a couple of months ago and it was not very dusty inside.

When the fan does run it is super quiet, one really has to pay attention to tell if it is running.  The Engel steel units only draw 2.66 amps when running, I am told that the Whynter uses nearly double the current when it is running.

The swing motor compressor, designed by the Nazi's in WWII, has nearly no start up surge draw.  Rotary compressors have a significant amount of extra surge draw.

The Engel fridges are designed to be user serviceable. Engel USA will help troubleshoot the problem and they actually have parts on hand for their units.  In the worst case, the entire sealed cooling system can be user replaced and costs in the mid $300 range.  No messing with refrigerant, the replacement system comes charged.

I bought my first Engel mt35 in '07.  It has worked perfectly since then.  It is very quiet, I have slept with my head right next to it many a night w/o any issues in my 1985 Tercel 4wd wagon car-v conversion.  I recently bought another mt35 to use in freezer mode, wish I could have taken part in the sale!

Be aware that any fridge will run a fair amount more of the time, have a higher duty cycle, when set to freezing temps. 

Enough?

mayble said:

The big difference is the amps used. My Dometic 15 qt uses 5 amps per hour. The Engel uses .7 on refrig, or 2.8 on freezer when running. Big difference when you are on solar. There are several posts on this forum about refriges that run batteries down in a 24 hr period. My 200 watts couldn't power my Dometic for 24 hours. All of the Engel users said they had no problems. Thanks for posting about the sale. I just ordered my Engel.

Mine has left Florida! Woohooo

I sure wish I had it already. Frys had a sale on chicken thighs and breast of buy 1 get 2 free.

So jealous, not just the fridge, but having an offline Frys nearby :cool:

Latest posts