energy efficient refrigerator

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K1ngN0thing

Reaction score
I'd like to replace my stock RV fridge with a more efficient one. DC fridges are out of my price range, so I'll need to go with AC. What are you all using?

Best way would be to use a Kill-A-Watt meter.  It'll give the true story.  The data plate on the fridge will give the manufacturer's ratings for voltage and amps, but this is usually wishful thinking on their part. 
I have a 3.2 Cu In minifridge at home here, but am loking at the Haier 1.7cu in for van duty.  Don't need much size.  I have the 12V Koolatron cooler, but they are energy hogs, and cool only 40 degrees below ambient - not good in a hot Florida summer!

120 volt fridge, plus inverter, plus enough battery, plus charging. Go for a 12 volt compressor box like Bob sells.

If the fridge that is in it is stock, are you sure it's not gas also? I'd never swap out my gas fridge for a all electric one personally. The electrics have their advantages but what a hassle to keep going. An older gas fridge with a pilot and no control board can be started and left on using little gas over time.

What I've generally done, upon buying something with an ammonia cycle (absorption) fridge, is to tear it out and sell it to someone via Craigslist for $150-200 and then (if I don't have one already) buy a Waeco/Engel off Craigslist. The most I've ever paid was $520 for the basically brand new Engel I picked up last year. Before that, I bought a Waeco CR-50 for $220 and, ten years before that, a WAECO CF-50 for $350.
I basically had that Waeco CF-50 running 24/7 on solar for 10yrs.. hardly a hassle to keep going. This was, originally, running off 45W. ..Willy.

How many amps do those pull in a day on average. We get monsoon seasons here and may have heavy cloud cover for a week or two.

This is what I currently have Engel and 2.5 A draw.. but might have a 30% duty cycle during the summer days. Even during the dead of winter, up here in BC, I get enuf solar to run it and whatever else I've got. Would also like to point out that I paid Canadian bux for it and, being used, no taxes. For me to buy new would be well over $1000 CDN. ..Willy.

jimindenver said:
If the fridge that is in it is stock, are you sure it's not gas also? I'd never swap out my gas fridge for a all electric one personally. The electrics have their advantages but what a hassle to keep going. An older gas fridge with a pilot and no control board can be started and left on using little gas over time.

Eventually the cost of the gas will outweight the cost of a new fridge and batteries. I also need the extra space for a battery bank.

ccbreder said:
120 volt fridge, plus inverter, plus enough battery, plus charging. Go for a 12 volt compressor box like Bob sells.

Can you link me to it? I see the text on the store page but there's no link.

take it from some one who has tried to run those dorm refers off an invertor and solar, it ain't worth it. if you are in any type off hot weather you need a lot of solar and a lot batteries. I have 2 of those units that willy posted, 2 of those use less power than 1 of the dorm refers by a long range. I never did a study with numbers to back me up, all I can tell you is from experience. there is no comparison the 2 engels just sip power the dorm ate power like a hungry dog that hasn't eaten in a week. I would just keep the ice chest and save until you can afford a 12v compressor refer. I consider my attempt to save money by going with a dorm refer as a total waste of money, I would be dollars ahead if I would have just bit the bullet right off and gone with 12v refers. highdesertranger

Oh wow, I had no idea the difference was that big. In that case I guess I really should just take the money I'd spend on batteries for the dorm fridge and put it towards a 12v. The waeco aren't sold in my area and are scarce online, not to mention very expensive. Are there cheaper 12v compressor fridge alternatives?

I would never replace a propane fridge with an electric only version. Long term the propane one will save you money. I eventually got tired of replacing electric fridges and went back to a plain old ice chest.

You're likely to regret going smaller too.

K1ngN0thing said:
Now how would I go about directly connecting that to a battery?

The thermo electric coolers are bigger energy hogs than the 120vAC dorm fridges powered by an inverter.

Inverter is going to be at best about 85% efficient.  Probably a little loss in the wires from the battery to the inverter too.

So figure you are using 100 watts of battery power to deliver 85 watts to the refrigerator (a reasonable figure for what they would draw).

The 12V/24V compressor fridges using the Danfoss brushless motor compressors draw about 60 watts straight from the battery.   Quite a difference.

Ah screw it. I'm just going to drink room temp water and eat dry goods for a year until I can afford a compressor fridge.

I've used a cooler for the last year+. Tried putting ice in it a few times but not worth the hassle to me (emptying the meltwater, buying the ice, dealing with mold). I keep water bottles, fruit and veggies, anything chocolate, applesauce and fruit cups, etc. in the cooler. The temperature stay low enough inside that the water taste good and I seldom need to throw food away. I'm mostly in the cities so I can buy perishables fairly often.

K1ngN0thing said:
Are there cheaper 12v compressor fridge alternatives?

Edgestar is another, sometimes cheaper, version of the same thing. We have an 85 Qt that's been both a fridge and a freezer at different times. After having one of those I'm spoiled. Will be getting a 45qt for my new build.

Latest posts