energy efficient refrigerator

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a 4 cf dorm frig that came with the camper.Whenwe travel,we borrow 3 100w panels from home to power it with.Works pretty good but a 12v would be better.Since the setup we have didn't cost anything,I guess we'll stick with it for now.Sure beats the ice chest deal.

highdesertranger said:
off grid you must be pretty close to town.  where do you get block ice for 1-2 bucks?  never ever drink the water from your ice chest,  ask me how I know.  the only way I have ever got a week out of ice is when I seal up the ice chest and buried it.  highdesertranger

I'm usually in a town or within 20 miles or so of a town.

In my experience, many of the convenience type stores that have the big ice bin displays out front, have the block ice in them.  They usually don't have it inside, and you have to ask for it.  If you're staying in an area for a while, most of the stores can get it for you if you ask also.

I keep my ice in a separate container within my cooler.  A 5 gallon cube type water jug with the top removed.  This seems to help make the ice last longer, and it also keeps my food dry.

If the weather is really hot, I will also wrap my cooler in a moving blanket.  This normally isn't a huge problem though since I usually try to park in the shade in the summer.

I would never drink normal ice chest water that has been mixed with food, but since it has touched nothing but a water jug, I consider it safe and have never had any problems doing so.

When I was hanging out in canyonlands Utah the Monticello gas station had block ice for like a buck twenty. I thought it was a very good deal. NJ is in the 2.50 range.

out here in the desert block ice goes from 3.50 to whatever they can get for it I have seen it for 7 bucks plus. last year I saw one of those water machines in front of a store that was .55 a gallon. another note if there is only one place in town to get ice you better hope they got their delivery on time, ran into that problem before. highdesertranger

IGBT said:
Yes, there is no way ice could beat a small 12V refrig and solar panel.   After 2 or 3 days our ice has turned to water and well before that anything you wanted really frozen (like ice cream) is half melted.

Let's not confuse a cooler with a freezer.  If you want one to be a freezer, then that requires dry ice.

2-3 days is typical of cubed ice, block ice lasts longer.

If I'm boondocking I'm in a forest parked in the shade, with no sunshine nearby. I simply refuse to park in the sun to have power.  That is not a worthwhile trade off for me.  In the winter yes, in the summer, NO WAY.

I ran powered fridges for many years, and I have plenty of power to run one if I choose to do so.  I just got tired of replacing expensive powered fridges.

For many many years, with or without a powered fridge, my routine has been to go shopping once a week, refill my water and any other needed supplies.  So adding ice to my list wasn't even an inconvenience.

steveh2112 said:
if i might summarize what i think are the options available from low to high

I have a option not listed. I think its the least viable, but have no idea about the efficiencies.

Countertop icemaker, generator, and cooler.

Probably horribly inefficient compared to buying ice. But I already own a honda 1000 genny.

Looks like counter top ice makers make a little over a pound of ice in an hour and pull less than 200w. So maybe 6 hours and a half gallon of gas to a bags worth of ice. Its an option if you're really far off grid I guess.

Hank

Off Grid 24/7 said:
Let's not confuse a cooler with a freezer.  If you want one to be a freezer, then that requires dry ice.

2-3 days is typical of cubed ice, block ice lasts longer.

If I'm boondocking I'm in a forest parked in the shade, with no sunshine nearby. I simply refuse to park in the sun to have power.  That is not a worthwhile trade off for me.  In the winter yes, in the summer, NO WAY.

I ran powered fridges for many years, and I have plenty of power to run one if I choose to do so.  I just got tired of replacing expensive powered fridges.

For many many years, with or without a powered fridge, my routine has been to go shopping once a week, refill my water and any other needed supplies.  So adding ice to my list wasn't even an inconvenience.
Off Grid - what size is your cooler or measurements? I'm trying to visualize a 5 gal water jug fitting in a cooler plus food. I'm just now getting ready to buy a cooler soon. I remember reading from HDR a comment that a larger cooler is more efficient than 2 smaller coolers, which makes sense. I received 2 smaller coolers for free & was planning on using them. On my first trial trip one cooler didn't really work for me so I'm not confident 2 will work. So I'm in the market for a quality cooler & looking for a recommendation or at least a link of similar size to what you use. I like the idea of separating the block ice in a container above the food to be cooled. I'd like to buy one large enough to be of use but as small as possible. I seem to be running out of precious space in my new home. Thanks in advance.

Mine is a 40 quart 7+ day extreme cooler. The cut off water jug takes up just about half of the cooler, on one side, top to bottom.

Mine are Igloo Maxcold that I bought at a Walmart maybe 10 years ago. I see the newer ones are being advertised online as 5 day coolers. I have one for food and a second for my 12v A/C.

I stack mine to create a night stand beside my bed. I try to have only things that can serve double or triple duty to conserve space. The coolers can also be seats, foot stools, tables, many things. Truly versatile items.

Latest posts