Enclosed Awning or tent at Side Cargo Door

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinDerSmokDat

Reaction score
Is anyone using any kind of enclosed awning or tent at their side door to give them a changing room/added space?
(Note, I'm looking for solutions that work on a full-sized van with side cargo door.)

Ideally I'd like a hard cased option like the Thule or Fiamma but they start at $800 and up.
Smittybilt and ARB make awnings for just a few hundred, but then you need to add a combination of $200-400 worth of mesh walls/floor or netting to enclose them.

I currently use a 10 x 10 sun shade pop-up that is light weight steel legs and frame and does good for sun or light rain, but can't take heavier downpours without collecting water and sagging or leaking.
It's also too frail to add side panels for privacy/wind blown rain.
In addition to those limitations, you can't get the edge over the van so there is always a gap for rain to run off right where you want it least.

I like the idea of rolling up an awning into a package outside of the vehicle, so I can reclaim interior storage space where the current pop-up lives. 
I also like the idea of not having to put a wet (or worse, caterpillar/bird dropping covered) pop-up or tarp inside a vehicle when it's time to pack-up.

I'd like to buy a turnkey solution instead of engineering something, but if someone has a slick idea for something homemade that saves me some engineering, I'm game.
I've thought about a piece of 4" PVC with caps with a slit down the side.
Then install a pipe or drape rod with a nut on the end inside the pipe to make my own hard sided drill-powered roll-up awning.
Not sure if I have the engineering skills or time to make that happen.

I looked for such a thing a few years ago when I was starting out. I had no luck. The closest thing to it I saw was a tent room designed to go on the back of an SUV. Someone had sort of force fitted it to the back of an older van.

I like the CLAM "Escape" which is a 12' octogon shape enclosure that seems to hold up to bad weather, and has available sides for it. They aren't cheap, or homeade, but well built, and easy to set up in less than a minute.

Many of these types of projects have been done using electrical conduit (plastic, and thin wall metal), and also in PVC plumbing pipe. Lots of YouTube videos.

I've just been having a similar discussion with buster1903 on the newcomer's section. Those 10x10 popups have multiple disadvantages. You might consider a standalone 10'x10' 6-man tent as a relatively inexpensive alternative. Pitch it alongside the van. Many will have front and back doors both. Plus you can leave it setup when you go off for the day to the store or wherever.

The "Bus Depot" makes some that can attach to the side door. Not just for VW buses, they can advise you on the fittings you need to adapt the products to your van.

http://www.busdepot.com/ADDG

I was at a overland rally this past June. There was a vendor there that  makes these awesome non traditional awnings. They had one attached to a Promaster and another to a Sprinter. They do not have sidewalls but are adjustable to form various  protection. The ties to the poles are attached using heavy duty bungee straps, not cords. They attach to the rig using a low profile slide track that adheres to the van via 3m Adhesive backing. The track is sized by your specification for length. They cut the awning fabric where it attaches to the track as required. They also attach hooks for lights etc... where you specify. I believe they are made in Idaho. 

A friend of mine ordered one at the Rally for their van and loves it. They are made of super light weight yet can withstand up to 40 mile an hour wind. They custom make them for you with different colors and color combos. My friend ordered a $18.00 mosquito netting for attaching to the sidewalls. The name of the Company is Dragon Fly. I am still tempted to purchase one for my rig. I believe they are around $600.00. I am going to wait ans see how my friends faire.