Abnorm-al DIY Awning and ShadeSail

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abnorm

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like my awnings.......I've spent a lot of time refining them for MY usage........check them out

SUNSHADES/SUNSAILS

I hang a large "Cool-A-Roo" from the Transit Van......the rear mount is the strong Solar roof rack......... (I added eye-bolts as fasteners)

shade.jpg

shaderope.jpg

The two outboard corners are held with a painters pole.....a carabiner.....and adjustable rope with "stake"....It takes a lot of tension to hang these 

shadefrontrope.jpg

The front mount was a problem......the SunSail was so big and the Euro-style roofline sloped quickly.......I opted for an adjustable rope with a S-hook that could be hooked onto the Wheel and adjust to fit.......(I think this rope solution could be applied to other dwellers and their tarps ?)

AWNINGS

awningandshade.jpg

I like CHEAP........I start with a HarborFreight Grey waterproof tarp.......To become an AWNING it needs a mounting method......I SEW a seam along the edge of the tarp that meets the van.......into that seam I place a flexible yet sturdy support........It's thru this "sandwich" of tarp/pipe/tarp that I make my attachments.......It looks like this

awningsewnedge.jpg

I machine sew a seam (or 2 for strength) near the edge of the tarp leaving a pocket..........

awningrooftop.jpg

Here is the awning attached to the eyebolts on my roof rack........Notice the carabiners capture the flexible pipe.....It can't rip

For the pipe I've been using discarded Yellow Fiberglass Tent Poles...........I think PEX plumbing pipe is the real answer ....I'm still testing
You also need to sew the pockets closed or the pipe moves.......The flexible pole allows you to roll up the awning and THEN just bend the whole thing to fit inside the van !

awningcorner.jpg

I also found the outside tend to pull-out.........I fold the corner over....sew a pocket.......insert "pipe" and sew up pocket  Add a carabiner and Bob's-yo-uncle

I'll add some more pics later

Attachments

• shade.jpg
    shade.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 157
  • shadefrontrope.jpg
    shadefrontrope.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 129
  • shaderope.jpg
    shaderope.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 135
  • awningandshade.jpg
    awningandshade.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 147
  • awningsewnedge.jpg
    awningsewnedge.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 120
  • awningrooftop.jpg
    awningrooftop.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 126
  • awningcorner.jpg
    awningcorner.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 129
No fair, you can sew.. Sweet set-up. :D
The pocket spreads out the stress = longlife.

Couldn't quite make it out so I'll ask, will the carabiner slide up/down on the top of the painters pole? Meaning, does the tarp flapping in a gust of wind loosen the pole tension enough to allow the carabiner to slide down the pole?

In the picture the carabiner sits above the guy rope.

I am filing this idea away for when I get a rig (hopefully October)

The guy rope is put on after the carabiner. This holds the carabiner down on the pole when the guy line is tightened. No way for the carabiner to come off unless the guy line is loosened or the bottom of the pole is moved enough.

Nice. You did a good job. I'm still trying to get mine right but still have some work to do. I like how you have the ties over the top.

You got me on the thread title. I thought I was missing something when I didn't see anything too terribly abnormal about your setup. Good'un :p

That is a wicked amount of shaded space on side. You must be strong as an ox to get that length of shadesail taut enough. I was thinking about using a rope system over our roof to secure a shade sail to van since we don't have a roof rack but am deathly afraid of any movement of rope ripping into the paint.  

And great idea using the carabiner with the piping to prevent ripping and keeping it snug against vehicle for rain protection. A roof rack makes all the difference in the world with DIY awnings. So many options.

Good job for making it work.

Both those awnings are awesome. I have plans to do an awning too but was a bit stumped as to where to start.
You have given me several ideas.
I am currently placing artificial decking planks across the roof of my cargo carrier trailer to mount the solar panels on. I am staring with just 2 with a view to expanding the length of the trailer. They would be perfect places to mount eye-rings for an easy attach awning.
Just a little worried about the guy ropes standing up to a strong wind. One good gust could collapse the whole thing.

I've been in the mountains without internet...............con't

I've had a lot of tarps in 50 years of camping......my BIL was a quadriplegic who loved van camping....I've made some for waterproofing....some for Modesty/Health care....I've had many success and failures

Joining the poly tarps is challenging.....failures include numerous glues/clamping.....heat/ironing....Stapling had limited success....physical joining with grommets works sometimes......SIMPLE machine sewing has been my go-to

Sewing phobia ?.....ask a friend...you need Quilting thread and a heavy fabric needle.....and a sewing machine......

To get started beforehand....on the ground fold the seam over and use duct tape to hold the long straight line......

Feed the tarp into the machine using a large stitch and full bobbin.....get to the end, cut the threads and repeat the entire long seam from the start for strength......insert your pole and stitch the ends closed

Taking the PEX idea further...you could add a rope down the entire pipe...Leaving a mounting rope extending from both ends?

Here you see my FOLDED Awning inside the rear of the van.......the sunshade is in the green bag

Awning folded.jpg

The next project is HOW to hold it all down.......Ropes and Screws

I pre-make a huge pile of adjustable ropes for the camping bag.......I also like a pile of these screws for "stakes"....add some fender washers if you have Tents with LOOPS for stakes 

screw 2.jpgscrew3.jpg screw 1.jpg

I always have my impact driver around so power-driving them is no problem......They're sharp and fit IN a flattened chain link......Two links gives me both a Rope PivotPoint and a Screw AnchorPoint.......add Old-Style ropes.....10' of HarborFreight utility rope and a wooden dowel with two holes drilled and you've got your rope......I add a Velcro "tool tie".........keeps the ropes from tangling in my bag

Out in the desert we fasten our windbreaks to the desert floor with those screws passing thru 2x lumber......trapping the tarp to the ground

IZ.........you 'd be surprised how much wind these can take...........Why planks.......aluminum angle is my go to for exterior vehicle mount.......

THANK YOU ALL for looking ...............

Attachments

• Awning folded.jpg
    Awning folded.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 86
  • screw 2.jpg
    screw 2.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 80
  • screw3.jpg
    screw3.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 73
  • screw 1.jpg
    screw 1.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 77
A recent Awning follow-up:

WINDS...Dateline Nevada
Shade cloth............ NO Problemo

Grey "tarp"........those sewn/reinforced outside corners were no match for the violent winds we've seen in Nevada

I've got some thinkin-to-do..........(the top held fine)

I was guessing the shade cloth was less durable than the tarp. Did the tarp fabric fray apart?
~crofter

I think you could recycle old tents instead of using the tarp. You can usually find tents in park dumpsters near urban areas: people try it once and into the dumpster. Also the tents have those stake straps pretty well reinforced at the bottom. 
~crofter

Did you use your featherweight to sew that?

I still haven’t used mine or found a space big enough to sandwich the quilt I made for Lillian. I have those two big tables and think if I add one more that might do it. Don’t want to lug them around though.

Just a comment on the thread that was s uggedted. Quilting thread is made of votton and it is not all that UV resistant. You can get sun rot with cotton and nylon thread. Heavy duty, 100% polyester thread is a better choice for outdoor projects that you would like to hold up for frequent use over the years.