Electricity or Gas cooking?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

If connected to shore power or&nbsp;possibly generator&nbsp;in the van for camping, would you rather cook with small gas bottles&nbsp;(gas grill, gas stove, etc.) or electric options like&nbsp;(electric burner, electric frying pan, electric&nbsp;oven, etc.) ?&nbsp;<br><br>90% of the camping would be on grid shore power availability like RV parks or State parks. 10%&nbsp; would be off grid (boondocking) at the beach or some where else.

Propane all the way!<br>20lb tank will last you about 2-3 months of cooking and heating/boiling water. I also think it is much hotter than the electric and the only draw back is the added heat in the summer time.<br><br>Use a connector hose from Coleman which will cost about $30-35 then connect it directly to the propane stove. Keep the bottle outside for added safety and if you have a BBQ, then get a two way connector at the bottle and run another line to it.<br>Happy Camping! &nbsp;

What Wild e says. &nbsp;I almost bought a cheap connector hose. Don't do that. Get something good.

&nbsp;Gas all the way. Aside from not having to plug in, I get instant control of my heat, which is nice when I do my so-called cooking. ..Willy.&nbsp;

A few of us cook on wood. I do when I can. Look at StoveTec stoves. A branch the size of your thumb will cook you 3 meals.<br><br>James AKA Lynx

I prefer propane but I have been using denatured alcohol in my Trangia Spirit Burner for the last few months. I drive semi trucks and the places I go to the propane canisters are not allowed.

Propane. I like instant control of cooking heat. We don't have a lot of room for all that electric cooking stuff anyway.

James AKA Lynx said:
A few of us cook on wood. I do when I can. Look at StoveTec stoves. A branch the size of your thumb will cook you 3 meals.<br><br>James AKA Lynx

I have long fingers, but I can't imagine any stove making 3 meals with a stick the size of my thumb. I'd have to see that one in action.

The more I use my (electric) really cheap induction cooktop the more I like it. I intend to buy a more expensive higher end model.
Small propane stoves have their place. As do wood fires.

Zil said:
The more I use my (electric) really cheap induction cooktop the more I like it. I intend to buy a more expensive higher end model.
Small propane stoves have their place. As do wood fires.

Electric is ok if you have shore power or wanna run a genny.
Propane is the easiest for off grid cooking. Gotta love easy.
Wood/charcoal is good outdoors, but I don't want the stuff in my (RV) house .

In my testing different configurations in my van, I have found that a simple Coleman 440 stove works best (one or two windows cracked open). I also have a Russian built cold war era camp stove that I keep around just incase I'm out of Coleman fuel (Naphtha) because it runs on regular unleaded gasoline. I do have a hot plate that I can use when I'm on shore power (rare)