Electrical and work

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arizonatruck

Reaction score
Unsure on where to put this.

I plan on working and living out of my 20 foot enclosed trailer. I am a mechanic/technician. One of my tools is an air compressor. I am trying to figure out how to the compressor without needing to run a generator. To do solar would seem to be way to expensive and need way to many solar panels. I figure it would take at least .5 to 1kw in solar and at least a 200 amp hour battery pack just for the compressor.

The only other things I would usually use are battery powered drills/impacts as well as ham and handheld radios and some lighting that only take approximately a total of 150 watts.

Trying not to have to consume as much fuel, although costs for it have gone down. I also don't want to have to keep so much fuel on hand except for my vehicle. Plus, I don't like the fumes or the noise of the generator.

Look up inverters capable of generator support. The least expensive model I know of is the newer Conext series by Schneider Electric - still pricey though.

I don't have enough information on your system to know if it's a good fit. However, FYI, the system AC couples a battery/inverter system with a small generator such that both power the same loads simultaneously. If a solar array is producing, then its output will displace fuel otherwise consumed in the genny. Benefits include high current surges for starting motors and the ability to keep the generator loaded where efficiency is optimal.

You would have to see a fairly high sustained average output (and during daylight hours when a solar array is producing) to justify this kind of system.

With the newer battery operated tools, available now, they can do as much work as the air tools, (of the past) I use Dewalt drills, impact drills, battery operated impact wrenches, battery operated skil saws.
With multiple batteries that can be charged while the sun is out I can keep all tools charged using 280 watts of solar and a single deep cycle group 31 battery, with that much solar and a 1000watt inverter, I can also use my Mikita 4 inch grinder, and a small air compressor, die grinder, sabre saw.
The air compressor is mainly used to keep the tires full of air.
I am sure you would be able to keep the tool batteries charged with about half of the solar I use.
I have also charged them with a 65 watt solar panel for small jobs

Gadget

so I guess a gas powered air compressor is out. how much air do you use? how about on board air with a large tank? I am going to post pics of my on board air system on my rebuilding a 14 bolt thread on the mechanical sub forum. highdesertranger

gsfish said:
I have a friend who uses a scuba tank for air tools when he is away from his shop. You don't detail your air requirements (pressure and volume) so it is hard to advise. Could a small, quality, 12 volt compressor charging a portable air tank cover it? If you are talking about using a generator and inverter to run a compressor, then why not have a small gas powered compressor? More efficient and cheaper too.

Guy

Impact gun, air wrench, tires, i would need a rather large tank.  I am looking into gas powered compressors, especially since my current compressor is getting a little aged.

the gas ones work good, but they have all the negatives of running a generator, that you said you didn't want. if it was me I would use a gas one it should be more efficient than a generator. highdesertranger

I, too, seriously considered working out of a trailer. A mechanic's kiosk of sorts. Gas powered air compressors are harder to come by and kinda spendy. I couldn't find a smaller one that started up on its own when the air pressure got low. It idled until it needed more air then kicked in. And it does only one thing: compress air. A generator can run all sorts of stuff; much more useful in that respect.

Compressing air takes a lot of energy as you know. People are off grid and running large air compressors, but for a mobile application, having enough battery and solar would be tough. Then you would only be able to reasonably run it during the day.

I saw a guy use an automotive ac compressor to compress air. It was cheap and worked fantastic. He was a mechanic and used it a lot. It lasted for years that I know of. It may have lasted many years.

You need air. No ifs, ands, or buts about that!

the best on board air compressors are the York type automotive air conditioning compessors.  like this.
008.JPG
010.JPG
they are twin cylinder and have there own oil reservoir.  they only problem is you must be running your engine,  not very practical for using like a shop compressor.  highdesertranger 

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    911.4 KB · Views: 8