Electric Point of use HW Heater powered off of solar set-up

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weight said:
As 5 minutes equals 1/12 of one hour. 1/12  is  0.0833 decimal. 148 amps times 0.0833 hours is 12.33 amp hours. If I planed to use 13 amps for my microwave the fuse would open. No fuse? The wire's insulation would melt and burn.

Fuses and wire capacity are not rated in amp-hours so that part makes no sense. Unless that was your point?

:huh:

Yes that last bit didn't make sense to me either.

But AH are AH, wH at a given voltage, a "quantity" of power, whether discussing what you use or what a battery holds.

Just like gallons "the school buys 2 50gal drums of milk every week" and "on weekends and holidays the boarders consume over 10 gallons each day".

I have an 850AH bank, and my fridge consumes 40AH/day on cool days.

All technically true, none of it helpful to help newcomers understand and use their systems. In fact, mostly just gibberish to make their eyes glaze over and give up on understanding solar.

Telling a new comer that my microwave draws 2 amps per minute helps him understand that if he has the same microwave he can run his microwave for 5 minutes and draw 10 ah out of his battery. No, he doesn't understand every possible thing about that event, but I don't want him to, I want him to go away understanding that simple concept.

Had I said my microwave draws 2 amps per minute out of the battery when it runs it would have been technically correct but was totally unnecessary.

I believe making it as simple and plain as possible is the best way to teach a subject as difficult as solar.

Ok, next time I will simply answer with:

It won't work. 

Next question please.

:p

Seriously, I think the vast level of knowledge here is vital to providing correct answers. We constantly check and verify statements made by each other so that published errors are minimized and/or corrected. This results in a knowledge base that can be relied on, especially when a consensus is reached. Pride in the final product.

This seems like a desirable way to do things here. 

Yes, we could 'dumb things down'...but is that really the goal?

Maybe there is a happy middle ground?

Ex: 2 formulas per person per week or something like that...

:cool:

There is no greater complexity in saying:

"The microwave draws around 100 Amps while it is running.

With inverter inefficiencies, that is about about 2AH per minute, so a 100AH battery, with 50% usable capacity, would be "flat" in less than an hour."

Maybe even showing the calculation if they seem interested.

When you say "uses 2A per minute", it is not just meaningless but wrong, and more likely to cause confusion for a noob trying to wrap their head around these new measuring units.

Latest posts