Electric Help Needed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bailman

Reaction score
Well Im almost ready to start full time RVing.

I bought a 95 Jayco.

I had it plugged in for the last week while cleaning and getting ready to leave.
Then all of a sudden. The lights starting dimming. So I called the local RV PLACE, the mechanic came out and said i needed a new battery. I bought a new Interstate n installed it.

I was happy and decided to turn on the heat to make sure it worked. It did great for about 15 mins, then the power went out in trailer.

After checking the battey, I noticed the 30amp fuse was blown and melted a little bit. So the fuse is hard to get out.

Any help????

Or should I trade it in for a newer model??

Dont really have time for constant problems.

You may need to look a little deeper with this issue bailman. After working as a professional mechanic for nearly 33 years (auto's, trucks and bus including appliance repair, HVAC, small engines, plumbing and electrical) there is a reason the fuse blew and melted. Think of it this way, look at a toaster. The small wires inside glow red and get hot because you are sending a lot of electricity through those wires and because of this resistance, (blow through a small drinking straw and with the same amount of breath, blow through a paper towel tube) we can control it and have toast for breakfast! Now the point of this psycho babble is that you may have wiring or a component that is damaged somewhere, somehow, causing this resistance to get very high which in turn blows the fuse (in your case the protection from fire is the 30amp fuse.) My concern is that you find the root of the problem for your own safety. I would suspect the problem is in heating system. If you replace the fuse and fuse holder(you did say it melted a bit) and it blows again, a deeper issue is confirmed, but I wouldn't recommend that. Of course, without being there and knowing more about your situation and the condition of the vehicle, I can't be much help. Good Luck my friend.

Fuses blow when something is wrong. You have a short (path for electricity going wrong place) some where. Unplug everything that has a plug, &nbsp;turn off everything that has a switch. Use your fingers to touch everything quickly that you have turned off or unplugged, to see if warm or hot. If anything is warm it may be the source of your short.&nbsp;<br /><br />Plug back in the fuse. See if it still blows or if it gets hot.Should not be hot. Visually inspect all recent work repair areas, and all dents to see if you could have a crushed wire. &nbsp;Turn on all lights and make sure they all work, none are dim. Dim light could have crushed wire to it. Try each electric device and see if it turns on and behaves normal.&nbsp;<br /><br />Keep notes. If all this testing fails you will need a rv repair dealership to service it.&nbsp;

Thanks for the replys. I will start right now looking into it. I was supposed to bo on the road today, but I want it fixed.

I will give an update soon.

*** I forgot to mention, I have the TT , plugged in to with an extension cord ( bought new from RV dealer) .

Update: I replaced the fuse with a new fuse holder n fuse. It Worked for about 6 hrs ( all lights, everything), then the lights started to dim again.
I have a mechanic on the way today. He said it might be the converter.

More updates later.

Im ready to start my full time RV lifestyle, I just wish the TT thought the same.

More updates soon

Final outcome: It was the converter. Mechanic never showed up so I installed it myself. Everything works great!!