Efficiency in a van electrical system?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding warm feet, many here love wool socks.

There are also these, and similar battery heated socks.

Savior Heated Socks,Rechargeable Electric Heated Socks for Men Women,Winter Foot Warmers,Suitable for Outdoor Work,Skiing,Skating,Cycling,Camping,Fishing,Hunting,etc. https://a.co/d/fHCnveO

To give a little more information on what I am thinking for this project and how that applies to the topic.

Currently, I am working full-time while working on both an associates in App Development and a Bachelor's in Enterprise Tech Integration (ETI). These will both fulfill personal goals for me that I couldn't accomplish when I was younger, and also before children. My background is in R&D engineering, machining (manual/CNC), fabricating, and 3D design.

The plan/goal: I am looking at designing and building my own custom van as a part of my first retirement. With my experience(s), and degree areas I am hoping to be able to transition to being a digital nomad where my plan is to begin a "second career" as well as freelance work with the freedom to only have to work as much or as little as I choose.

My desire is to build out the van myself using my experience in engineering, custom home building, and other trades. I plan on basing most of it on 80/20 extrusions as I have used them a fair amount in the past and they are extremely versatile. I am currently spending some spare time designing the build in Fusion360 and could post some screenshots if there is any interest.
Do not discount using Aluminum angle. The cost is substantially is lower. The weight is considerably reduced compared to 80/20. The framing takes up less space and it is easy and inexpensive to rivet pieces together versus the cost of buying joining fittings for 80/20. You can also now purchase rivet pullers that are used in cordless drill drivers. So handy not to need a compressor hoses and an expensive pneumatic rivet puller or hand operated pullers! Rivets are far less likely to come loose from vibrations on the road than the fasteners on 80/20.

So I choose to use T6061 for my cabinet framing instead of 80/20. But do purchase a set of cleco clamps and pliers to make the river joining quick, easy and accurate. For slats spanning across the bed platform U channel is perfect! I also used aluminum and full extension slides to build a pull out drawer for my fridge. All design work was done in 3d CAD 🙂
Airplanes are not built with 80/20, they are built using riveted together aluminum angle. What works for aircraft certainly is viable for Van builds.

Last edited:
Regarding warm feet, many here love wool socks.

There are also these, and similar battery heated socks.

Savior Heated Socks,Rechargeable Electric Heated Socks for Men Women,Winter Foot Warmers,Suitable for Outdoor Work,Skiing,Skating,Cycling,Camping,Fishing,Hunting,etc. https://a.co/d/fHCnveO
Wool socks are one of my most absolute favorite things in the world. I literally wear them year round. I like the way they breathe. The hardest part is finding ones that fit well and feel cozy.

Do not discount using Aluminum angle. The cost is substantially is lower. The weight is considerably reduced compared to 80/20. The framing takes up less space and it is easy and inexpensive to rivet pieces together versus the cost of buying joining fittings for 80/20. You can also now purchase rivet pullers that are used in cordless drill drivers. So handy not to need a compressor hoses and an expensive pneumatic rivet puller or hand operated pullers! Rivets are far less likely to come loose from vibrations on the road than the fasteners on 80/20.

So I choose to use T6061 for my cabinet framing instead of 80/20. But do purchase a set of cleco clamps and pliers to make the river joining quick, easy and accurate. For slats spanning across the bed platform U channel is perfect! I also used aluminum and full extension slides to build a pull out drawer for my fridge. All design work was done in 3d CAD 🙂
Airplanes are not built with 80/20, they are built using riveted together aluminum angle. What works for aircraft certainly is viable for Van builds.
I absolutely agree with the aluminum angle perspective. I was planning on using a mix of multiple different materials from 8020 to angle, channel, and even square tubing. Cleco clamps are invaluable, especially if you are working by yourself. Since I have been doing the R&D work solo for many years, I have gotten pretty adept at "creating" extra hands to aid in assembling different things. I was thinking the same thing for a refrigerator. I don't see the need to have a fridge that looks like it belongs in a dorm or a house, not only that if it goes bad it is easy to pop it off the shelf and drop a new one in and plug and chill. The cost/price of drawer slides can get pretty outrageous as I am seeing. I was thinking of doing a set of long pull out drawers in the garage area for longer term/outside equipment storage.

I am also a huge fan of magnets, not the cheap clip refrigerator magnets. The ones I tend towards start with a minimum pull strength of about 94 pounds. I have created different solutions using articulated camera holders to assist in lending a hand when I need to put things together. I even use the same magnets for phone and tablet mounts in my current vehicle, and also on my person. I took one and mounted it to a clip from a tape measure which hooks to the back of my phone and I can clip it in my front pocket like an EDC knife.

One of the reasons I am taking my time to educate myself, and learn everything I can along with modeling my build. I want to make it a series of solid subassemblies that, should I need to, I can remove from the van and almost slide it right into a new van with minimal modification (I'm not getting any younger). It would also allow me to pull a subassembly out if serious work needs to be done, or even a facelift to change the appearance. I have even considered running a beam of 8020 (1030 series) right down the middle along the roof simply for the utilitarian ability of having a virtually unlimited number of attachment points for whatever may come to mind (TV, monitor, camera, lighting, storage box, etc.). I like to have options.

The one thing I haven't seen much of in any of the videos is the use of Shark Bite connectors? I was thinking of using them sparingly where different subassemblies come together and standard Pex connectors within each sub. Have any interesting thoughts or tips on this idea?

I had even considered using square channel along the van walls both as an attachment point for cabinets and such, but also as a wire chase to help manage the wiring for the components. I have even gone as far as to segregate power and water to both sides to aid in balance and anything that needs water would be along the same wall, reducing the amount of tubing and also hopefully keeping anything from leaking into the electrical area. Even with everything I have learned so far, my current model gets minor, and sometimes major changes made to it each time I sit down with my notes. What I really need to do is tape out a section of floor, and mock up cardboard components to get a feel for how it all comes together (Thanks to Humble Road YouTube channel for this nugget of wisdom).

I have to say I am so very appreciative to everyone on this forum for their experience, wisdom, and willingness to share tips and advice. This is my ideal definition of community. ♥

Just a small consideration when sizing an inverter. The bigger the inverter, the bigger the wire, fuse, etc. Consider what your high wattage appliances are and if they are ever, or likely going to be used together. I have a 700 watt coffee maker. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I usually use it 5 minutes at a time, 3 times per day. I don't currently have anything else that woud drive my consumption past my 1200 watt inverter. If I did, I'm sure one of them could wait a few minutes.

Hi, strongly believe in running everything off DC. I have a similar laptop to you, a 6 core with a Quadro graphics Lenovo workstation with a 230w power supply. I believe your Legion 5 Pro runs off a Lenovo slim tip?

This link will get you started.

Lenovo laptops are easy to hack and make usable from any solar power driven supply. I have done this myself. You could base your solar setup around a 24v battery and then run a 20Amp DC-DC converter which will keep you running as long as you need. Albeit as long as you have a decent enough battery. The link shows you what is needed. Like anything, many ways to skin a cat but the Lenovo slim tip (worst name ever) is easy to get working in an off grid setup.

You can actually buy the 170w cables with decent copper wire and bare wire ends premade from Aliexpress for cheap. 170w is the lowest charging cable (it's a resistor value on the centre pin) where my laptop works without any throttling or charging funny business.

Latest posts