Easiest, simplest, cheapest power set up?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man SternWake has some great information, I am getting my stuff together for my build and will be using it while I am converting as well. I just found this and there are some cool features on it, it does cost 65.00 but in a way it can almost be an all in one solution.

Newport Vessels Trolling Motor Smart Battery Box Power Center  --  Pretty neat box with external lugs for hookups, a USB port, 12v charging port and a charge meter. It                                                                                                    fits group 24 and 27 batteries.

Pros:
It is a vented box that has terminals on the outside for charging and hookups. (designed for a trolling motor but just as good for a Van Dwelling scenario) 
It has a 12v plug for charging devices or people have used it for charging the battery as well 
The USB charging port could be used during the build and then if the box is getting covered a USB extension cable could be used as well to make it more accessible. 

Cons:
A battery box is 15.00 and this is 65.00 so it is an extra 40.00 for the ports, charger, and the meter which will probably be redundant eventually. 

I am thinking I may get it and mount it in the van close to its permanent location, but then it is covered and protected until I get the platform and everything else built around it.

Great conversation thank you for all the advice. I feel like I am back in school trying to absorb all this information and make the best decision for me.

I am also looking for a basic set up. Right now I want something that will let me go car camping or sleeping in my car when traveling 2-4 nights a month. Would like a set up that I can expand later when I am traveling more and living on the road and/or camping in the desert.

I have a brand new 2017 Honda CRV so I don't want to damage it and want to keep it "pretty" and not do anything that will hurt its longevity or violate its warranty. I tend to keep my vehicles 15+ years though so am willing to spend a bit of money (LIMITED) if there is something that I should do now.

Right now today I need something that will power:
* My CPAP (medical device used for sleeping so it will need to run 8 hours a night - I posted the specs at the very bottom)
* Wilson Electronics weBoost Drive 4G-M Signal Booster Kit - should be here in a few days
* 2 cellphones - camera batteries
* Laptop - not required just yet - I am still working full time and can work from anywhere so this would really allow me to travel more
* Will charge what I can when driving. Will probably only drive 1-2 hours a day though.

Later may be living in and out of this vehicle as I go from place to place so I want a system that will grow with my needs. I am trying to avoid buying anything that will be a waste later.

This is what I am thinking... please give me any feedback you have.
*When this SUV battery dies (that will be awhile most likely) get the marine battery. I believe there is room in the trunk for a second battery. Will this void any warranties? Potentially damage my SUV?
*DC converter for my CPAP ($100! ouch - what do you all think about this?), DC converter for my PC ($30 or so), DC converter for my camera batteries (already have)
*LED lights with AA batteries, fan with D batteries
*Battery jumper pack that will power my CPAP for two nights with AC, DC, and USB chargers (need to find and figure out how much I need and my options. advice appreciate). Like that it is an extra safety jump feature.

Think my next step would be to get another battery and a battery box hooked to the main battery (still learning and trying to figure this out. I am not handy...buy my boyfriend is so he can install it.. hopefully). The next step would be to add a flexible solar panel.

Thoughts??

Thank you again!!!

My ResMed CPAP
Adapter (power cord thing) says 90 watt adapter and says Ac output 100-240 v~50-60hz 1.0.1.5 a 11v -400 Hz 1.5A,
DC output (would need to buy a $100 adapter from Resmed to do this) +24 v =3.75a
The CPAP machine (not including the removable water heater section- not planning on using the water heater) says DC24v 1.25a 3.75 sys

Think my next step would be to get another battery and a battery box hooked to the main battery (still learning and trying to figure this out. I am not handy...buy my boyfriend is so he can install it.. hopefully). The next step would be to add a flexible solar panel. 

Thoughts??

Thank you again!!!

My ResMed CPAP
Adapter (power cord thing) says 90 watt adapter and says Ac output 100-240 v~50-60hz   1.0.1.5 a     11v -400 Hz 1.5A,
DC output (would need to buy a $100 adapter from Resmed to do this) +24 v =3.75a
The CPAP machine (not including the removable water heater section- not planning on using the water heater) says DC24v 1.25a 3.75 sys