Dylan

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optimistic Paranoid

Reaction score
Bob Dylan just won the Nobel Prize for Literature.  The Swedish Academy believes his lyrics are true poetry.

I guess I'm unusual for my generation, but I utterly loathe his music, his "voice", and his sound. But I also hate Woody Allen movies and think the Stones are overrated.

Me too Queen!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Call me biased (or unbiased?) but I think all music has it's merits .
OK , I like some more than others....these days I listen to new releases (most everything else is permanently etched into my brain , if I think about it , it starts to play in my head..... )

Do not know how to respond to loathe, Dylan is a vocal stylist and many do not appreciate his vocal stylings. I was trained to sing early on never made the cut, i have always liked Dylan and his lyrics, still listening after all these years. It was rather comical when he went electric to see the fervor created by his loyal folky following, all I was thinking was chill out people.

I have to vote with Queen on this.Don't know how this guy ever made a living singing.

Music to the ear food for the brain, but then I like anything for about 20 minutes even Bluegrass because all songs seem to bring back memories.

[video=youtube]

Yes, I wish that for just one time
You could stand inside my shoes
You’d know what a drag it is
To see you

He won the award for literature; the Nobel folks called him the greatest poet alive today. He was a visionary in the '60's. You might not like his musical style, but his essence is in the message of his words.

IMHO, it is about time.  

People are now understanding that the music from the Baby Boom generation was more than just a call to "Tune in, turn on, and drop out."  It was an indictment of those that use people and throw them away.  

Look at the words with a fresh eye, and get beyond that voice that made our parents cringe. . . Pure poetry.   :cool:

Once upon a time you dressed so fine
Threw the bums a dime in your prime, didn't you?
People call say 'beware doll, you're bound to fall'
You thought they were all kidding you
You used to laugh about
Everybody that was hanging out
Now you don't talk so loud
Now you don't seem so proud
About having to be scrounging your next meal

]How does it feel, how does it feel?
To be without a home
Like a complete unknown, like a rolling stone

Ahh you've gone to the finest schools, alright Miss Lonely
But you know you only used to get juiced in it
Nobody's ever taught you how to live out on the street
And now you're gonna have to get used to it
You say you never compromise
With the mystery tramp, but now you realize
He's not selling any alibis
As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes
And say do you want to make a deal?

How does it feel, how does it feel?
To be on your own, with no direction home
A complete unknown, like a rolling stone

Ah you never turned around to see the frowns
On the jugglers and the clowns when they all did tricks for you
You never understood that it ain't no good
You shouldn't let other people get your kicks for you
You used to ride on a chrome horse with your diplomat
Who carried on his shoulder a Siamese cat
Ain't it hard when you discovered that
He really wasn't where it's at
After he took from you everything he could steal

How does it feel, how does it feel?
To have on your own, with no direction home

Ahh princess on a steeple and all the pretty people
They're all drinking, thinking that they've got it made
Exchanging all precious gifts
But you better take your diamond ring, you better pawn it babe
You used to be so amused
At Napoleon in rags and the language that he used
Go to him he calls you, you can't refuse
When you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose
You're invisible now, you've got no secrets to conceal

How does it feel, ah how does it feel?
To be on your own, with no direction home

Songwriters: Bob Dylan

Rap & hip hop are "musical styles" too, but you won't see them in my playlist. Many of my buddies that are about 10 years older than me, really like Bob Dylan. I don't particularly dislike him, but he's definitely not really my favorite musician.
The great thing about music is how it moves YOU!! If you can relate to it, listen to it. It's all good!

[video=youtube]

modern music is as good as ever,it is selective memory,dont remember all the 60/70's crap you had to listen to before the beatles /doobie bros came on

I worked Farm Aid in '85, he was one of the acts, I took a nap in the truck when he came on. It's something about him, I mean Willie has an awful voice too, but his sets were fantastic.

Personally,I think Slim Whitman should get a Nobel prize.He did protect us from the Martian invaders.

Does everyone know how the Nobel prizes originated? Alfred Nobel made money off inventing dynamite and didn't want to be remembered as the guy who invented dynamite, so he founded prizes in his name. So when you think of Nobel prizes, think subterfuge and stuff blowin' up. Just a bit of side trivia there for you.

Neil doesn't have the best voice but he has soul. even Richard Nixon has got soul. highdesertranger

gsfish said:
TMG51, you beat me to it. Don't forget that Nobel was thinking that dynamite (stabilized nitroglycerin) was such a terrible weapon that it would end all wars........ kind of like atomic weapons were seen at one time.

It's funny, both Gatling and Maxim thought the same thing about their machine guns . . .