Dually Skoolie question ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eDJ_

Reaction score
A friend of mine called me today to ask if I'd go look at a "Short Bus" with him.  The price was right at less than
$1000 for this diesel workhorse.  He thinks he can get it for $800.

Here's the rub.  It had dual rear tires like this one.  It runs great up to just over 55 mph where it tops out.

chevrolet-mini-bus-02.jpg

and the question is if it is practical to convert it to where it has an axle with a higher (numerical) ratio
and single rear wheels.

Like this one

latest

Since the seats will be removed and the coach converted to be more like a small RV it won't be carrying
the heavy loads after it is converted.   It would carry one Guy and perhaps a Girlfriend on occasion, but the rest would just be  RV gear.  The idea is to increase the fuel mileage potential with 65 mph being the target high way top speed.

Given these parameters,  what would be the best way to go about a rear axle swap and have a higher gear ratio at the same time ?   Where would you begin to even look to find out what the factory installed as rear axle ratios for Skoolie's used in mountainous areas or flat land areas ?

Anyone have any experience or ideas ?   It would seem like the single tires on the rear would be more fuel
efficient than the dually set up. 

This will be set up to travel mostly on highway's and improved gravel roads in National or State Parks

It would be nice to ring another 10 or 15 mph out of it on top end.   Think it's possible ??

That has a 4.10 or 4.54 real axle with a 70% overdrive and if it will not run past 55 MPH its next stop should be the scrap yard.

Yes, changing the gears in the pumpkin is easy. You can also replace the whole axle too. These things are pretty simple.

If you are not going to load it to a capacity that requires the dually, you can change the hubs, or put the inner rims on sans tires to space the outer tires properly. I don't know if this is legal, but I have seen it done.

You can also convert it to a super single.

trey3.jpg

Though I'd do it in an emergency, methinks having a single dually on each side would introduce some godawful stresses on the wheel bearings and axles.. maybe even to the gear cluster and assorted parts too. ..Willy.

The shorty may or may not top out at 55mph. Many school buses have mechanical governors on them. You should be able to have the governor removed. As for speed, my 40 ft bus will get up to 65-70 on the flats. Does down to 25 on the hills. It ain't lightweight. Ratio is 5.29 (?). God help the moron who stops short in front of me. You will pay for going faster at the pump. As for duallys. I would keep them. Those buses are heavier than you might think. The info for the rear end ratio should be on a plate in the bus.

You might want to try checking out the Skoolie Converters Facebook group. If you can't answer Terry's questions, then you don't get in. Keeps the rude, crude and other riff-raff out.

It would be nice to ring another 10 or 15 mph out of it on top end. Think it's possible ??
:D :D :D

dang had a big ole long post typed out and when I went to post it my internet went out. so I will try again.
1. you can change axles or change gear ratios what cheaper depends your axle.
2. you can go with super singles, but they are very expensive.
3. if you change the rear axle or put super singles in the rear what are you going to do with the front? you will have to do the same or you are going to have 2 different rims/tires. then what are you going to do, carry 2 different spares. that means you are going to need to buy 5 tires and rims.
4. another point your tires and rims better have a greater weight rating then your GVWR plate. even if you think it will be lighter the tire/rim combo better match the plate.
5. you better look into why it only goes 55 mph a little deeper. because it's a school bus it might have a governor that limits speed to 55 mph.
so that's the major points. if it was me I would leave it a dually. highdesertranger

I'll have to get in touch with him tomorrow and see when he wants to go back there.  Get the VIN then if
he's still interested or hasn't found another one with the single rear tire.  I think having all 5 tires the same
size is one of his priorities.

Thanks HDR for that VIN decoder site.  Handy thing to know about.

....and thanks everyone else. 

I'd figured the ratio would be on the pumpkin.    I'lll have to ask about a governor being on the engine
or if it was removed.   I used to drive a delivery truck in High School that had a governor on it....but I knew how to get under the hood and set it for higher speed. LOL    Just had to remember to reset it before I brought
it back to the parking bay at the end of my shift.  Ahhh to be a kid again. 

We'll see what tomorrow brings.

There is also a reasonable chance that it has a governor on it.

Dually to single conversion kits are available.

some one else gave the VIN decoder site. the ratio might be on the pumpkin, it might also be on the inside of the glove box on the build sheet. highdesertranger

Double check with an insurance company to see if anyone will even cover it and the Bus-to-RV conversion.

Well, this morning we talk and says he's going to look at some others.  He's in early retirement
and his wife wants to snowbird in Florida.  He thinks his wife would rather buy something already
built and ready to go.   Something proven to work.   They have talked about leaving it in Florida
year around and using the car for the commute.  I told him to look into RV storage places if he
had to remove it from a park or camp for the summer where they were intending to stay. 
They've been renting a cottage for the past couple of years and they have reconnected with
some older friends he used to work with.  

He likes the idea of being able to take it to the fishing spots or traveling around the state during
the slower times of the week.  Then returning to his park on the week ends.   He says he'd like
to travel the state and see different places they may want to spend future winters there.

I read him the replies and he agreed to have me thank everyone on his behalf. He may
come around and join the board in time. 

He has a line on one that's already been converted and ready to use, so we'll
see what happens with that.

We pretty much agree that 4 tires on the ground will be the way to go and re-gearing
the rear axle may be the only concern.   If he buys this skoolie we'll see what it would cost
to ship it to Florida on a Semi after he drives it some to figure the mpg he can expect from it.