Dual fuel generator (propane). Thoughts?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMG51

Reaction score
I've always said I never wanted a generator. But as I consider gray skies, intermittent generator use would be necessary. I am considering a small, portable propane generator, so as to keep my build plans to two fuel types (diesel and propane).

Anyone know anything about this generator? I'm not going for cheap -- but I don't see a more extensive portable propane option!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sportsma...Generator-for-Sensitive-Electronics/701680657

It is the big brother to the 800 watt Sportsman that I have. I would love it if it were dual fuel.

No such thing as dual fuel " diesel / propane " , but gasoline / propane - yes .
One of the businesses I've been in , auto repair has prove to me over 50 yrs. " spend the money once [ buy quality ] ,
rather than buying cheap and frequently .
Also buy from a place you get service , parts , repair --- this does not happen with Walmart , Amazon etc.
Many of the Honda , Yamaha , Suzuki inverter generators can be set up for dual-fuel , and the best part is you can buy parts , or get repaired easily .
Most of the others you can not get most of any repair parts - so most small engine repair shops will not accept these units in the door for repair .
And they fail sooner generally , and a lot sooner , I have tried to repair many of the off brand stuff .

Champions I know you can get the parts for. They are getting good reviews on their customer service. I do not know about my Sportsman but at $152 it is a cheap rental fee if it only runs a year or two. (one year down so far)

One thing to mention is that you will get less power on propane.

John TF said:
No such thing as dual fuel " diesel / propane " , but gasoline / propane - yes .  
One of the businesses I've been in , auto repair has prove to me over 50 yrs. " spend the money once [ buy quality ] ,
rather than buying cheap and frequently .
Also buy from a place you get service , parts , repair --- this does not happen with Walmart , Amazon etc.
Many of the Honda , Yamaha , Suzuki inverter generators can be set up for dual-fuel , and the best part is you can buy parts , or get repaired easily .
Most of the others you can not get most of any repair parts - so most small engine repair shops will not accept these units in the door for repair .
And they fail sooner generally , and a lot sooner , I have tried to repair many of the off brand stuff .

My post wasn't very clear. I meant, because my next vehicle will be diesel, I would like a dual fuel (gas/propane) generator, so that I can run it on propane (which I will have for other appliances), and therefore I will only have to store diesel and propane. I don't want a gas generator because then I would have three fuel types.

I'm not trying to cheap out - I'd rather buy quality. But my searching didn't turn up many compact propane generator options. How are the Honda's etc set up for that?

There are companies sell conversion kits, google including "snorkel" keyword.

There's another vendor supposed to be top-notch, but I think for Honda's only, will try to find my notes.

It looks great on paper.  If I was in the market for a generator, I'd probably pull the trigger on this on and maybe buy the extended warranty Walmart offers.  I like the champion dual fuel that was offered at Costco, but it weighs 100lbs (vs 48 for this one).

Interesting the description states not carb compliant (not available in CA), but a store nearby me in San Jose has them for pick up...

TMG51 said:
My post wasn't very clear. I meant, because my next vehicle will be diesel, I would like a dual fuel (gas/propane) generator, so that I can run it on propane (which I will have for other appliances), and therefore I will only have to store diesel and propane. I don't want a gas generator because then I would have three fuel types.

Am I missing something here? Wouldn't you need just a LP-fueled generator?

I thought about this one for charging batteries and to run a tiny microwave or small power tools:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-900-Watt-Propane-Powered-Inverter-Generator-RYi911LP/302703564

Wow, that looks wonderful although I know of only one microwave it MIGHT run listed as a 600 watt microwave pulling 850 watts.

Just under the wire? Maybe the small Sharp Half-Pint?

Some of the halfpints are 600 watts as is the Westinghouse WCM660. At 850 watts my solar system will run it mid day with no loss to the batteries during the summer months.

Conversions:

$300 seems a lot to me?

Hutch Mountain has been named as the top lpg conversion vendor by several sources I trust, but maybe Honda's only?
US Carburetion sells kits for many different gennies, many say their snorkel tech requires the least (no?) mods to the genny itself.

Century Fuel is another.

Make sure to do your commissioning break in using petrol, and solutions keeping the dual fuel option eadily switchable would IMO be best.

slow2day said:
Am I missing something here?  Wouldn't you need just a LP-fueled generator?

I thought about this one for charging batteries and to run a tiny microwave or small power tools:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-900-Watt-Propane-Powered-Inverter-Generator-RYi911LP/302703564

Yes, I would just need a propane generator.

I didn't know little generators like that existed. I'm only trying to keep my batteries up on days without sun, so I don't need a lot. Would that little thing (700w running) even power a battery charger though?

A 60A Sterling ProCharge Ultra or ProMariner Pronautic P could be derated to match available upstream power.

Anything non-adjustable stick to 40A.

Run it in the morning to get the bank to 80-85%, let solar do the last 4-5 hours to get it to true 100% Full.

TMG51

Tomorrow we can plug the Sportsman 800 watt in to your rig to see if it will run your converter.

I have to agree with John TF, get quality.

I would recommend getting a duel fuel generator or converting a gasoline to duel fuel.  If for some reason you can't get propane you might be able to use gasoline instead.  Gasoline generates more power, but generators aren't a high performance application.  Engines run on propane last longer, as you can not flood a propane engine, but you can with gas.

I have a Champion dual fuel inverter that is just perfect for me.

Just for the casual reader.

Microwaves can be run on a lower power setting to enable to you to use a smaller generator or inverter. Cook times will obviously be longer, but same result.

No I don't recommend buying any underrated generator, but a microwave can be used at a lower power setting for less amp draw.

Hope that helps.

FWIW, that's a misconseption, microwave ovens run at full power when they are on, they just cycle that full power on and off when set at a lower setting. The magnetron always runs at full power. Check watts at both high and low settings to verify. Same-same just timed differently.
(not to be confused with a “Inverter Microwave” see commercial use).