Generator + Battery Bank?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
12 volt chargers are the way to go if they are available as it is the most efficient I believe. Keeping things simple has always appealed to me. Using as much solar as you can reduces the amount you need to run the generator. Really by using propane for most everything else you can do fine as long as you don’t need air conditioning.

Freelander said:
Depending on which MBP you have. Here is all you need.
I've got the never AIR with USB-C ports. So I can get a USB-C charger and charge with DC.

May take awhile, but should be doable.

I tend to buy things that are USB chargeable or 12v chargeable.

This way all you have to do is keep your batteries charged up which is pretty easy with enough solar and the generator when needed. Charging everything up during the day or when the generator is running will insure you batteries won’t go down as much overnight when your RV heater is needed.

I cut my own hair, and I have a rechargeable Hair clipper I use, it has a 110v plug, but I can use my small invertor to charge it. I use a Swifter WetJet to clean my floors, uses AA batteries. I found a 12v adapter for my CPAP, and a USB powered cleaner for it.

My WIFI Hotspot (Netgear Nighthawk M!) charges with USB.

About the only thing I have that I just couldn't find a 12v version was my little MacMini Computer.

This RV had a DVD player mounted over the door. The spot was just right to mount the little Mini in. I installed a bracket and slid the mini in backwards, and hook it up to a 300 watt invertor. I plug in the HDMI cable, power cable, and a small external HD. I made up a 15 foot pigtail with the HDMI cable, COAX for the TV antenna, 110v for the 43" tv, and 10AWG 12v cable. Ran all of that under the top bunk and over to my TV.

This is an older Mid 2012 Mini with the Quad core I7, I'm going to replace it with a new Mini with the M1 chip.

The TV pulls about 40 watts, and the Mini pulls around 10 watts.

So now I can use my Mini, or watch TV sitting at my desk.

Attachments

• IMG_1281.jpeg
    IMG_1281.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1282.jpeg
    IMG_1282.jpeg
    286.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1283.jpeg
    IMG_1283.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1284.jpeg
    IMG_1284.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1285.jpeg
    IMG_1285.jpeg
    299 KB · Views: 4
ExploringOne said:
I've got the never AIR with USB-C ports. So I can get a USB-C charger and charge with DC.

May take awhile, but should be doable.

If I remember correctly the MacBook Air needs a 60watt charger and the MacBook Pro needs an 85watt charger. And USB C chargers work at 19v, the charger I posted should work just fine, it fact it should charge your Air a little faster. I need to replace my old MBP with a newer model, probably a 13" MBP with the M1 chip. I can no longer update OS X, same with my 2012 Mini. Both are still running OS X Catalina.

I will be replacing it when I get home.

You would think RV manufactures would make their products to be used for boondocking and with larger solar systems by using or supplying more 12 volt DC plugs and equipment. Instead of using high wattage blowers on their heaters, adapting 120 volt AC accessories and mounting one battery on the tongue of the trailer they should come out with soft start AC and small Honda generator models with huge solar arrays already tested and installed powering efficient 12 volt accessories.

This RV had just one 12v socket over the door, it was to power a TV with.

I added a single socket with dual USB's in the back for the CPAP, a dual socket over by my TV to charge my phone and MBP, a dual socket/USB over by the invertor, a single socket under the sink, and the external SAE connector outside to run the 500 watt invertor. And both invertor has dual USB connectors.

I also have a small 300watt invertor with a 12v plug, to charge things that need 110v power to charge, like my hair clippers.

Of course this is a 2012 model, so there probably wasn't a much 12v/USB stuff as today.

My van setup is as simple as I could build it. I do use two 6-volt golf cart batteries to run everything in it. Solar and my little 1000-watt inverter generator works well for me.

The battery box in the RV was designed for Group 24 batteries. Most Deep Cycles at the good ones are bigger than that. In order to install Battleborns, I had to buy the GC2 batteries, these are the Golf Cart replacement batteries. These were the only ones that would fit.

Also when I bought the RV it was supposed to have a Queen size bed in the back, the previous owners added a pathway down the middle and cut the mattress down into two 24" wide mattresses. I can't sleep like that, so I filled in the opening bewteen the beds and added a full size mattress.

The underneath storage is where the pathway was, I opened up one side of it and used it for storage. At the front of this compartment was a spot that was just perfect of a Group 27 sized battery, so I added a third Battleborn. It's wired into the back of the Control Panel, I didn't want to have to run wires all the way to the front for the extra battery, I'm thinking maybe I should have now.

Attachments

• IMG_0959.jpeg
    IMG_0959.jpeg
    410.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0961.jpeg
    IMG_0961.jpeg
    318.8 KB · Views: 4