• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Dry camping in exchange for campsite improvements

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmnasman

Reaction score
Just exploring to see if there is any interest. I'm purchasing property north of Lake Havasu City approximately 36 Acres in size. It is 300 feet off of a nice paved road. I'm buying this specifically for a place to stay warm in the winter and not have to move every 2 weeks on BLM land. However the property borders some BLM land, so there is access. 

I will be drilling a well and there is a power line running through the property, so there will be power and water on site. In addition to this I will be putting in a septic tank and drain field, so there will be a sewer dump. 

I am retiring due to disability and cannot physically work on improvements myself. However, I would like to explore exchanging camping for campsite improvements. Perhaps such things as gathering rocks for a fire pit, spreading some gravel, fence work, digging for a water line to a community refill location. Extending a sewer line to a dump station. Maybe building a shed for a community laundry. 

I value my privacy like Bob does, so solitude recharges me. I need peace and quiet in nature. So I'm looking to create a space for like minded people. I don't want ATVs or motorcycle dust and noise. Loud music or problems associated with alcohol and drugs. Basically a drama free place of peace for those who value raising their vibration and conciousness.

I am interested if you have the following:

* Core values of kindness, compassion and empathy. 
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]* Talents or abilities to share. [/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]* No gossip, backbiting, drama[/font]
* An open mind and heart
* Creative spirit
* Value friendship
* Enjoy peace and solitude
* Respect other people's privacy and space
* Forgiveness
* Random acts of kindness
* Good food and cooking
* Collaborating and brain storming

I'm interested to hear any feedback or interest

Thanks,
Jonathan Nasman, RN

This type of offer really peaks my interest.  I will be out in mid March. Please contact me if you'd like to discuss.

Good luck and best wishes with your endeavors! It really is a beautiful area in the winter. You might want to try your luck at fishing for Red Ear Sunfish in the River!

jmnasman said:
Just exploring to see if there is any interest. I'm purchasing property....

I'm interested to hear any feedback or interest

When do you plan to get things rolling?

Sounds like a great place to hold a van-build party!

Out in the desert! Near Lake Havasu! What an original idea I have!

:D

I can't do physical work because of my senior disabilities, but I share the values you've expressed. If someone doesn't barter for the work, I could however help you organize a fund raising capitalization to hire the work out in return for some type of occupancy agreement for the investor (somewhat like a time share, but not the legal hassles). If you'd like to talk about it, reply and I'll send you my contact info.

I gotta say sounds like a pretty cool idea. Would love to know if this works out for you. Who knows maybe there's the chance to set up a whole network of like-minded folks. Yes, I know there are a couple websites out there for people offering camping on their land. The difference with this I think is that it's more of a barter/work trade thing. I could see it MAYBE working for people who have some land and maybe aren't on the road full time like myself. I know that as I've gotten older and the stuff I carry on my shoulders hasn't gotten much smaller that I could sure use the help in exchange for a space to park, top-up, and down time from the road.

I think though that my biggest concern would be one that I've developed over time because of first hand experience. The fear of being used or taken advantage of. I've made "deals" with people in the past where my place is concerned and so far they've all led to grief. Taking the benefit and never holding the other end of the bargain. Being selective is the key. But that's hard. I've trusted everyone I did deals with and unfortunately in the end that trust turned out to be unfounded.

I know I sure wouldn't be opposed to a spot to overnight/short term in exchange for a bit of help cutting some brush or fixing some stuff up or what not. There was a time that that's how folks got through the hard times and in some ways I think it's a shame that's gone away even though I do understand why. People have changed, risks have changed, and people take things for granted more I think so it's not worth the risk.

So yeah, I'd love to know how this works out for you.

Hmmmm... Until there's a well, power or septic you're not offering anything in exchange for the work that isn't already available for free in the area — except some quiet and not needing to move around every couple of weeks I suppose there are people who value those things enough to dig ditches in exchange for them.

Now, it's a different matter if what you're offering is the right to use the property, with its improvements, for as long as you own it.

I let people camp on my land a lot. I enjoy having them and they only have to kick their pets poop into the woods and clean up after themselves. I have a fire pit and plenty of firewood and a river for fishing or boating nearby.

If you want, we can find some work. I need to hire a strong back to help install some solar panels.

Latest posts