Drop Down Beds

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradKW

Reaction score
I've been debating what bed style to use in my upcoming Sprinter build, and am really intrigued by the full drop down beds I see installed on some commercial conversions. This is where the underside of bed serves as your ceiling when not in use, complete with lighting, etc, and then bed lowers on 4 rails (manual or electric) to a variety of heights.

Has anyone seen this done on a DIY conversion that might have pro/con points and hardware source info? 

I also find the Murphy bed option to be appealing in a few ways, but seems like it might sacrifice storage space in the bigger picture. Having not yet moved past concepts, I'm not really sure.

Thanks for any info, and thanks for this website being such a great  resource!

This is strictly my opinion but one of the most important things in a home on wheels is storage. Also important is ease of use.

Both a Murphy bed and a drop down one sacrifice both IMO.

Let's take my bed for example -  the underside of which is 100% storage, some accessible by lifting lids which are the bed base, some open from the back. The only wasted space is the dividing walls which are also what forms the bed supports.

What both the murphy and drop down one do is leave you with lots of open floor space but the question remains - where do you put all the stuff.

Ease of use, well, I don't know about you but setting up the bed each night and putting it away each morning would get rather old for me after a very short time. When I want to go to bed, I'm not wasting time, moving things around and opening beds up. Heck, making the bed in the morning is about as time consuming as I want to go. And heaven forbid you want an afternoon nap.... :D

While everything in a mobile home needs to be carefully thought out and minimalized, there's a point where too much minimalism can go sideways. I guess it depends on what uses you'd have for the open floor space.

Thanks for your input...ironically enough, it was the idea of pushing a button instead of having to make my bed that first appealed to me with drop down bed! Presto, bed vanishes ;)

When you say that is sacrifices space, could you be more specific? I was thinking that the area under the bed would be the "low level" stuff such as countertops on one side and side entry door on other.

But you're right, maximizing storage will be a primary objective, and I can certainly visualize how a Murphy bed would compromise that. Too bad I'm getting too old to just be happy with a hammock ;P

Here's the big question...

Will you be full timing in your Sprinter, or using it for other uses as well??

Almost There is right with his analysis, however, I prefer a Murphy style, fold-down bed, as I like to keep my floor space open to haul bigger stuff around, like motorcycles.

If you have a high-top Sprinter you'll lose some interior height to insulation and whatever you will finish the ceiling with. A drop-down bed is do-able but there goes your high ceiling.
Do a search for "Drop down RV bed" and look at the Google "image" tag. Several examples there and on Pinterest.

BradKW said:
Thanks for your input...ironically enough, it was the idea of pushing a button instead of having to make my bed that first appealed to me with drop down bed! Presto, bed vanishes  ;)

When you say that is sacrifices space, could you be more specific? I was thinking that the area under the bed would be the "low level" stuff such as countertops on one side and side entry door on other.

But you're right, maximizing storage will be a primary objective, and I can certainly visualize how a Murphy bed would compromise that. Too bad I'm getting too old to just be happy with a hammock  ;P

Ha, you'd still have to at least pull the blankets up and smooth things out, remove the pillows etc or the bed won't go all the way up or in!!

Countertops sounds like a good idea but then they'd have to be cleared off for the bed to sit on them..no?? I know I use my countertop for piling stuff on when I'm headed to bed. The countertops would also have to be at the right height for the bed to sit on whether that makes them practical for counter height or not.

As a frequent (well as often as I can do it) hammock hanger, you're never too old to sleep in a hammock. You're probably thinking about the backyard ones - there's a whole 'nother world out there in hammocks. I considered hanging mine inside the van but then figured out that I'd again be sacrificing storage space because I'd have to leave a diagonal swath for the hammock and everything would have to be low enough that my butt (and shoulders) wouldn't swing against it every time I rolled over during the night.

I'm not trying to be a negative nelly about it but there's a good reason why RV's have them as a secondary bed meant for occasional use and rarely as the main sleeping unit.

Here's a couple of pics of my bed while it was being constructed. As you can see there's a cavernous storage front/middle - that's for one of my compressor coolers. Over the left wheel well is a lift top compartment that will likely be my laundry hamper/storage for laundry supplies just because it's the right size and I can. At the right side over the wheel well and in front of it is another storage compartment reached by lifting the lid - it will likely be used for excess kitchen supplies and other not needed often storage. Parts of it are 12" deep over the wheel well, the other part is full the to floor. It's huge!!

The bed.jpg

Here's a view from the back of the bed - again substantial storage.  4 standard milk crates will fit in each compartment but each will likely get one each of my sewing machines. I'll probably end up with a shelf in each so that I can add small totes above the machine cases.

100% of the underside of the bed is storage.
Rear Storage.jpg

Attachments

• The bed.jpg
    The bed.jpg
    120 KB
  • Rear Storage.jpg
    Rear Storage.jpg
    138.9 KB
It's certainly doable, but if you're looking to motorize it, you're looking at a significant investment to make it happen. If it's going to be supported by a counter or some other structure in the down position, you only need to spec out a motorized winch or winches that will support five times the weight of the bed structure and bedding. That's a built in five to one safety margin. Seven to one would be better. If the motor or motors will be supporting the bed in the down position while it's occupied, you need to spec out a motor or motors that will support ten times the weight of the bed, bedding and occupants. You want it over engineered to this degree because you don't want to get hurt due to equipment failure. Also, the structure itself needs to be built to these same specs. Now here's where it gets tricky. Every rope, every cable, every pulley, your anchor points, every nut, bolt and every piece of mounting hardware needs to meet these same specifications.

In the setup supported from below, you're looking at a setup that needs to be able to support 500 to 1000 lbs. depending on the weight of the bedding to get a five to one safety margin. In the supported from above scenario, in order to get your ten to one safety margin, assuming two average size adults plus the bed structure you need a system that can support about 6,000 lbs.

None of this is as difficult as it would appear based on my description. For the bed structure, you simply need more framing than you would use if it were supported by a structure from below. As for the hardware, the only real difficulty is that Home Depot and Lowes don't stock hardware that meets the safety requirements, so you're looking at using industrial suppliers like Mcmaster-Carr or Grainger. Still, if you're willing and able to throw enough money at it, you could have a very nice, bulletproof system for rising and lowering your bed.

Almost There said:
This is strictly my opinion but one of the most important things in a home on wheels is storage. Also important is ease of use.

Both a Murphy bed and a drop down one sacrifice both IMO.

Ease of use, well, I don't know about you but setting up the bed each night and putting it away each morning would get rather old for me after a very short time. When I want to go to bed, I'm not wasting time, moving things around and opening beds up. Heck, making the bed in the morning is about as time consuming as I want to go. And heaven forbid you want an afternoon nap.... :D

I 100% totally agree with this and couldn't say it any better!

Everything yo do in a van is harder, GOING TO BED SHOULDN'T BE ONE OF THEM!

Bob

akrvbob said:
I 100% totally agree with this and couldn't say it any better!

Everything yo do in a van is harder, GOING TO BED SHOULDN'T BE ONE OF THEM!

Bob

yeah, that under-bed storage looks great. What do you use for a comfortable place to sit for workstation, TV, eating, when inside? thanks for input!

BradKW said:
yeah, that under-bed storage looks great. What do you use for a comfortable place to sit for workstation, TV, eating, when inside? thanks for input!

I had a swivel base modified to fit my passenger seat. It doubles as a chair for eating and working with a portable table and as a recliner for reading. TV to be added later will be viewable both from the bed and the passenger seat.

My beds in my trailer are built in a sort of Murphy style. Once I discovered I could get my KLR down the aisle between them without folding them up, they have rarely been raised since. I definitely use the space under them as a large part of my storage, mostly in milk crates so I can just pull out what I need like drawers. If the occasion ever presents itself that I need to haul 2 motorcycles I still have that ability, so long as I don't mind rearranging my storage temporarily. I definitely like flexibility in a build.

I also agree with Almost There and Bob, which is why my beds are rarely in the raised position. When I'm ready for bed, especially after a long drive late into the night, the last thing I want to do is spend time setting up a bed. I use a couple of the wood TV trays they sell at Walmart for tables. They work great either inside sitting on the bed, or outside in a folding chair. My laptop sits on one with a little room to the side if I want to use an external mouse. They're also great to eat a meal on ; )

I have a bed that works as a single or a couch with storage under it when I have time, feel like it, want a bit of luxury or have company I can fold it out to a double. this way I have more floor space where at times my scooter fits inside or I can pace back and forth. I thought of a drop down bed, I think it is a good idea, making it work is another story.

I hate to be different, but pulling a Murphy bed down doesn't take much effort for me. OK, maybe a little inconvenient, but that minute for an extra blanket or pillow....
In my case, with a 'twin' Murphy bed, there is storage space left above and below the bed and in a multi-function environment, you can combine the setup with a sofa or maybe a built-in workdesk, giving still more storage space or clean floorspace.

I must say, that these are still layouts and not built yet. But my plans are being finalized as we speak and I'm just waiting for delivery of my van to get started. Here you can see some of the layouts.

Greetings Brad, It's fun to think outside the van-box : )

One of my wife's and my favorite floorplan-doodles includes a rear area with a small two person ~4ft L lounge set in from the rear wall ~3 feet (storage access through rear doors). Above that is a nice bed platform with a full size froli sleep system and pad... lowered most likely by a Thule 571 Roof Box Storage Lift. Super simple and should suit our style of living.

Link to the Thule lift is here:
Thule Lift example

Best wishes on the build,
Thom

If you decide to use the Thule system, make sure you have some type of structure to support the bed in the down position. This lift system is designed to handle a 220 lb. static load, meaning that aside from raising and lowering, the load does not move. An average size adult, plus bedding could easily exceed this load rating. Also, the normal tossing and turning that we all do at times would make the bed a dynamic load, meaning a load that moves, which the lift system is not designed to support.

Now, with the cautionary part of the post out of the way, this actually sounds like a good shortcut to making this idea work. You will probably have to replace some of the hanging hardware and possibly add some extra support structure to take some of the strain off of the roof. I have some half formed ideas on how this could be done without unduly cutting into your storage space and headroom using parts that are available from Home Depot and Lowes.

Having moved my bed in 3 different positions it is permanently (for now) officially 3 ft wide 6.2 ft long and 3ft high. Very important is it is soo comfy,

sephson said:
If you decide to use the Thule system, make sure you have some type of structure to support the bed in the down position...

Yuppers.
The draft-plan includes the idea of the bed frame while-down resting on a ledge ~28" above floor with the ~L seating area at ~22" and a small foot-rest ~6" false floor area filling the "L" (~4ft square). This would allow for a storage area of ~2'h X ~6'w X 3'd through back doors and then two long/tall/narrow areas on each side. I have plans for under "L" area and false-floor. Just a doodle for now.

THX for the tips.
Thom

I put an electric bed hoist in my sprinter, and just put seating under it as the ceiling height is obviously lost. It was a fiddle getting it all square but no harder than any other part of the build.

Theres some pics under the van build section of my site if you're interested (bed hoist, and finished van photos)

http://www.stealthsprinter.com

Cheers

Hey Sparkie, so glad you chimed in here! I stumbled across your build site awhile back, but it was during a late night, cross-eyed surfing session and I failed to bookmark it...now I have :)

I was laughing at myself as I struggled to make sense of you layout while viewing component pics you posted, and realized that your slider door is on the "wrong" side...and realized this was the second time I've gone back and forth trying to figure it out. What I really like about your build is that while its solidly on the "maximized living space" end of the scale, it gives me some really good ideas of how I could keep some elements but still move the slider towards "maximized utility" some.

For example, having a toilet and shower are up on my priority list. Ive recently been toying with the idea of a floor-recessed shower pan, similar to this: https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-TMG-s-Van-Thread-Picture-heavy?page=9

Now I've got an idea of putting it toward back of van in your design, shortening your sofa seating by making the end piece a movable ottoman that hides shower pan, and a curtain/water shield assembly that somehow stores/drops down from underside of the raised bed.

Thank goodness I'm not rushing into this like I usually do with stuff, as it seems every week I'm certain about how I'm going to design something, only to have it change again. Here's to hoping the pieces finally settle into place in my head over the next few months...cheers :)