drivers license/vehicle registration hoops to jump through.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babbitt

Reaction score
Hey folks
I have a vw vanagon that I'm living out of and recently moved to the portland oregon area.

I gave up my out of state plates, paid for and received/attached my new oregon plates, (good for one year).

Gets kinda messy from that point on.
they say it takes about 6 weeks to send me my title/registration papers, but the address I gave them is no longer available to me.

I'm wondering how I'm going to go about getting my title now?
I have to have an address for them to send my info to, right?
And I don't think they will send it to a post office mail box.

To make things worse, when I tell them I'm going to need a change of address they say that now they'll need a lease agreement or rental agreement.
Wthell?
Is there a way around this?
Ideas on how I can obtain my title now?

And, I tried to get a drivers license today, but they say all out of state folks need to supply either a passport or an actual birth certificate, and then once again, it can only be mailed out to the same address as the one I gave them for the car title.

Must be a way to solve this, huh?
Thanks for any ideas

I think I would look for a room to rent on Craigslist, one that doesn't mind doing it month to month......then you can get all your stuff mailed to that physical address and once you get it you can leave. Or register it out of state in Nevada or S.Dakota like a lot of people here do.

I'm sure others more knowledgeable about it will chime in.

This is one of those reasons I always want some sort of "homebase" I think. Lot's of areas in the country you can buy a house for 25k and under. That solves the needing an address problems. But I know not everyone wants a home or has 25k to spend to have an address.

yeah somehow get a legit address and do a change of address. I know this might not help you at the moment but it's what you have to do. highdesertranger

Does Oregon make you get a new title?

I'm registered in South Dakota but still have the title from when I bought my van in North Carolina. SD never asked about my title. I just showed them my NC registration.

In KS, we were able to use a PO Box giving a street address of the RV park where we were staying. I don't know if that would work elsewhere or not. Just to get the PO Box at the US Post Office required the street address.

babbitt said:
I'm wondering how I'm going to go about getting my title now?
I have to have an address for them to send my info to, right?
And I don't think they will send it to a post office mail box.

I don't know if Oregon will do this.  In Florida I kept my old address on my Driver license.  They set up a profile so all my mail goes to mail forwarding service.

I want to welcome you to the CRVL forums babbitt! As you can tell from the responses so far, each state is different. Maybe someone who keeps an Oregon residence will speak up. Otherwise, contact the Oregon Department of Vehicles directly.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

akrvbob said:
I'm almost certain you can use any legal mailing address, that's not an issue. The issue is proving your residence address. Here is the into page for getting a Oregon DL. Follow it's links for details of what they require:
https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/pages/driverid/licenseget.aspx

Here is their list of acceptable proof of residence:
https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/pages/driverid/idproof.aspx#residence

Google is the first place I go when trying to figure these things out.
Bob

A big thank you to everyone that replied with ideas and info, I appreciate it.
The infamous THEY have me running in circles, but with your help I'll get it figured out.