Driver side brake light grounding issues

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iggyp

Reaction score
I have what is basically a 1984 Chevy G30, and it has the following issue: during normal day operation everything is fine, but when the headlihts turned on it ceases to work. I have been told this is a grounding issue but have no idea how to fix it.
I have retwisted the tri-wire connection I found bu still the same.

Any ideas?

Try connecting a new wire from the frame to the ground connection on the light..

so iggy the driver side brake light doesn't work when the head lights are on. are there any other issues? does the blinker on that side have the same problem? have you tested the ground on that socket? does your blinker indicator on your dash come on with your headlights? do the front blinkers and side blinkers work with the headlights on? answer these questions. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
so iggy the driver side brake light doesn't  work when the head lights are on.  are there any other issues?  does the blinker on that side have the same problem?  have you tested the ground on that socket?  does your blinker indicator on your dash come on with your headlights?  do the front blinkers and side blinkers work with the headlights on?  answer these questions.  highdesertranger

No blinking. Turn the headlights off, they start blinking immediately.

Does the light use an 1157 dual filament bulb? If so, the problem may not even be the brake light it might be the tail light circuit is bad or the bulb could be in wrong. Does the tail light work properly when you turn on the parking lights, but not the head lights? If the tail lights work at all, the answer is probably yes. Check the brake lights to make sure both are equally bright with the parking lights off. Then turn the parking lights on and see if both are the same brightness. Let me know the answers to these questions and we can go from there.

Haha, yes the bulb could just be in backwards...sigh!

Hand up, confessing to the sin!... :D

I replaced a bulb in one of my vehicles once. Things like no blinking when something else turned on, etc.

I took it in to my favorite mechanic, he looked at my funny, reversed the bulb, smacked me upside the head for my blondeness and sent me on my way!!

It's been a few years since I was a parts guy, but unless my memory is REALLY playing tricks on me, the 1157 bulb has it's two side pins at different heights so it's IMPOSSIBLE to put it in backwards . . .

John

iggy please answer ALL my questions. I need all the info to make an assessment on the internet. highdesertranger

if the socket is worn/damaged the bulb can be put in both ways and the wrong bulb can also be installed. highdesertranger

Optimistic Paranoid said:
It's been a few years since I was a parts guy, but unless my memory is REALLY playing tricks on me, the 1157 bulb has it's two side pins at different heights so it's IMPOSSIBLE to put it in backwards . . .

John

I have done it.  Old equipment and stubborn installer.   :blush:

That is why they went to the T wedge type base  Idiot proof.  ;)

Same kind of thing happened with the driver side rear taillight. While signaling the 3 signal lights (side red brake light [1], red signal/running light [2], amber emergency light[3]) flashing in a 1-2-3 order. I tried many different grounding combinations, figuring electrical conflict in relay(s) or something. Tried loosening the screws for the respective lens and that solved the incorrect signalling. This was on a 1986 DODGE B250 van with 5.2L engine.

Try loosening the taillight lens screws and see if that fixes the improper signaling.