Drinking water in Quartzsite and on the road [split] Quartzite question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no Walmart in Quartzsite.

First rule is that you will always find an exception to every rule if you look hard enough.

Not so much as they used to. See my post on the subject elsewhere on this thread.
Check inside the store. The WalMart near me has the water station located on the back wall in the grocery dept. next to the dairy and sour cream.

For lists, see iOverlander.com. Make sure that Place Types, has 'Water' checked along with anything else you want.

For Quartzsite, I like RV Pitstop and I have never heard of anyone having an issue with the water. Up to 40 gallons of filtered salt-free water used to be $2.00 at the large drive-through kiosks, but it went up to $4.00. These have a hose and faucet with shut-off. Filters not allowed. There is also a smaller kiosk that has 5 gallons for 25 cents, no hose, but you can use your own. Careful - the water starts flowing as soon as you insert a coin and there is no shut-off! It measures the volume by time. Again, no filters allowed.

I have a Berkey Filter I use if there is any question. Have done this for years, no problems and I never buy bottled water.

How do you find outside water dispensers in different areas?

Generally I just head towards the local grocery store and keep my eyes out, I usually find one on the way or find one @ the grocery store. If I still have no luck I can look online or ask someone, by heading to the local library and asking them. Librarians are better than an encyclopedia or Google for local knowledge usually. Plus you get a whole library full of books and stuff to explore!

Dollar Tree's and other stores that sell food stuff also sometimes have the outside water dispensers.

In general I never have much trouble. If I ever got past a librarian without coming back with water(so far has never happened) I'd just wander on down the road, clearly that community wasn't setup for someone like me to succeed.

One way to find drinking water kiosk is enter "glacier water" into the mapping app on your cell phone. But they are often out in front of grocery stores.

Last summer I was able to find spigots for drinking water at some of the highway rest stops. Also found that I could fill up gallon jugs at the tourist info centers and at the visitor centers at National Parks and Monuments. Last June all the paid water kiosk in Williams AZ were out of service so I had to go to the water fountain inside the visitor center and they did not mind letting me fill up 3 - one gallon jugs. Those are set up so visitors can refill their water bottles. Same thing was true in the Grand Canyon National Park. You can usually fit a gallon jug under those special type of water fountains. At the parks COVID changed the water dispenser types over to ones for filling bottles instead of the old type where you drank directly from a water fountain. A terrific advantage for travelers!

One way to find drinking water kiosk is enter "glacier water" into the mapping app on your cell phone. But they are often out in front of grocery stores.

Last summer I was able to find spigots for drinking water at some of the highway rest stops. Also found that I could fill up gallon jugs at the tourist info centers and at the visitor centers at National Parks and Monuments. Last June all the paid water kiosk in Williams AZ were out of service so I had to go to the water fountain inside the visitor center and they did not mind letting me fill up 3 - one gallon jugs. Those are set up so visitors can refill their water bottles. Same thing was true in the Grand Canyon National Park. You can usually fit a gallon jug under those special type of water fountains. At the parks COVID changed the water dispenser types over to ones for filling bottles instead of the old type where you drank directly from a water fountain. A terrific advantage for travelers!
I think they are called hydration stations...