Don't Park Your Van Just Anywhere

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
don't you know, if we are not in a house we are supposed to be in a campground? whaaaat. I can't even remember the last time I was in a campground. highdesertranger

ToasterVan said:
It is what it is.. and I'll not debate the issue. Merely pointing out that when tramp vans show up in our neighborhood they "will" be towed at the owners expense and promises this. Nothing more to say Van Tramps you're not welcome in our neighborhood.. Period.

That's interesting because I have spent a fair amount of time there without a single problem...

Of course, I also do not try to hide...

Are you having problems with excess tourists in Baltimore lately?

ascii_man said:
Are you having problems with excess tourists in Baltimore lately?

hehe This is something that occasionally crosses my mind... Oh you don't want me spending money in your town?

First they holler they want tourists, then when you get there, they want to impose restrictions and rules that will cost you extra money...  I don't like hotels or RV parks thank you very much...

dhawktx said:
That news story has issues on both sides. It's basically confronting city stealthing, which is always going to be a mixed bag of experiences, differing from neighborhood to neighborhood, city to city, state to state.

Toaster, I, personally, would never choose to park in a neighborhood with 'neighborhood patrol' signs all over, but if I were hustled by the cops on or after one day? I'd move on. Your S&B statements and attitude are totally contrary to the stated goals of this site. Why are you even here?

Seattle has a problem with a lot of homeless people, rent is to getting high for low income workers. This guy stayed too long in the neighborhood, should have moved after the first night!

"IF" her statement about used needles around the van is true and there are children around the area, I would have called the police. Aren't you glad you are not living next door to this person? That's the nice thing about having a house on wheels, you just up and leave people like her behind. I hope she enjoyed her 15 minutes of...infamous.

Spirituallifetime said:
Seattle has a problem with a lot of homeless people, rent is to getting high for low income workers. This guy stayed too long in the neighborhood, should have moved after the first night!

Yep.

I full time in Seattle and so long as you avoid garbage-strewn areas and don't stay more than a brief night (if that) in front of houses, you're pretty much good.

The news articles (here's another one) are slanted heavily in the woman's favor. She "tried to confront them"? That's leaving a note on the windshield, knocking on the door, calling out "hey, anyone home?"

Smashing windows is an attack, pure and simple. How she can claim she's been attacked, and for the media to buy it and repeat it, is absurd.

According to the owner of the van he's been in the hospital for 2 months. That should be dead easy to confirm. So, then he had squatters in his van? Loaned it out to some homeless folks?

She says she has no memory of it, and apparently there were several vandwellers parked on the same street. I wonder if more than one came to the rescue of the vandweller(s) when they heard the windows breaking?

ToasterVan said:
I can guarantee you that if one shows up uninvited in Baltimore County or any other surrounding counties in their van/car etc, your van/car will be reported to the police and may even be towed while your in them.. just how our neighborhood watch works.. We know each other, see everything thing and we'll not hesitate to contact our friends, the police officers.. The police in our area does not tolerate these types of traveling tramp car/vanners. So finding a stealth spot to sleep at night or for several nights is risky.. I doubt I would have done what this lady did.. but I would have been on the horn about this vehicle parked outside out home for weeks on end. More than once I've exited our "Home" and took note of the car/truck or van's licenses plate and once I was noticed they drove away. There is the correct time and place for everything.. and it's called a camp ground..

I feel like you're against the very heart of this website.  I feel bad you don't trust your fellow man/woman and live in a constant state of worry over it.

Perhaps a good old fashioned "Van-in" on her street would be fun :p

ZoNiE said:

That is a very good idea, have the media there to film the van-in event, Let the general public see first hand what nice people van dwellers are.

ZoNiE said:

With proceeds going to repair the damaged windows in the van and other homeless people?  

Good luck getting permits. 

Hate and exclusion is wrong.  So many people are stuck in a lifestyle not of their choosing.  Most here who are dwellers chose the life, but others are just surviving as they have no other choice.  

So many claim to be good people, but have not read the guidebook on how to live among people.   

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]11[/font][font=Trebuchet, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]12[/font][font=Trebuchet, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]13[/font][font=Trebuchet, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And now stays faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.[/font]

[font=Trebuchet, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Peace people, do not put the love of money ahead of the life of the life of your neighbor, even if they live in a  van.  :cool:   (Or just do it for fun.) [/font]

HoboJoe said:
Call the police? Why?   Hobojoe

Because the people parked in front of her house all the time were 
Hyperdermic needle using yahoos leaving needles and garbage laying around and making a ruckus. 
Also she called the police to begin with and they didn't do nothing about it , so she lost her mind and made a stupid decision to smash there windows to try and run em off.
It seems Smashing there windows out just pissed them off .
She needed to calm down and think logicly and come up with a way to
Get them to leave by making them dislike the area , maybe like a extremely loud annoying horn . 
Or find a song that extremely annoying and play it through loud speakers over and over and over until they leave .

Wanderer said:
She's lucky the person wasn't armed. What she did, is a shooting offense on the west coast.
id'e atleast be carrying a tazer for self defense and she's very lucky the person wasn't armed

highdesertranger said:
don't you know,  if we are not in a house we are supposed to be in a campground?  whaaaat.  I can't even remember the last time I was in a campground.  highdesertranger
whaaat stop swearing who in the hell ever heard of such a thing :D . i refuse to pay for a camp ground for what i can get for free!!! and besides there be no loud ass kids running around and i won't be so close to my neighbors that our awings are touching and they can see me in the shower.. and these people call that living WTf is this world coming to :huh:

Been a Van Dweller since 1970 . working ,traveling , and love it .

I feel bad for this lady , stupid and wrong as she is in the way she handled this , she is a victim too .

All of the Van People i know hate the misfits in this case , that give us a bad name and do not respect the locals .

These van folk were a community problem . 

There shall be No Van rally for van rights over this Van incident . I am old and not taken back that some Van Folk are responding 
 with a bad attitude .

D