Don't lock your keys in your home/car.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KIMG0002.jpg
I've also bought colorful skins for my keys and the dog tags.  Makes it easier to find dropped keys regardless of whether they're in high grass, snow, desert sand, etc.

Attachments

• KIMG0002.jpg
    KIMG0002.jpg
    855.3 KB · Views: 2
When Ford started chipping keys for Crown Vics, a lot of cab drivers, after paying for a new key, got non chip keys made, and zip tied the chip keys into the ignition switch
I heard taping the chip key to the lower dash worked, too, but never actually saw that

ArtW said:
When Ford started chipping keys for Crown Vics, a lot of cab drivers, after paying for a new key, got non chip keys made, and zip tied the chip keys into the ignition switch
I heard taping the chip key to the lower dash worked, too, but never actually saw that

I've heard of the same things.  Sort of defeats the whole purpose of the keys in the first place - keeping your vehicle from being stolen.

^ I was thinking they used the nonchip key to get in the door and start the engine. if they lost the key they lost the nonchip key. lot cheaper to replace... as long as nobody broke in and found the chipped key.

bigsallysmom said:
^ I was thinking they used the nonchip key to get in the door and start the engine.  if they lost the key they lost the nonchip key.  lot cheaper to replace... as long as nobody broke in and found the chipped key.

Placing a chipped key in close proximity to the receiver in the steering column would allow a non-chipped key to work, since the receiver was getting the "go ahead" signal from the chipped key.  Or so I've heard.  I suspect - but don't know - that you could start a car with a screwdriver if the chipped key is defeating the anti-theft.

In point of fact, I keep my spare chipped key in a magnetic hide-a-key box INSIDE the truck, in such a place that it can't be reached with the door locked, and carry a non-chipped key in my wallet to open the door.

DuneElliot said:
Always a good reason to hide a key somewhere. Plenty of imaginative places to put them...sure you might be crawling around in the dirt and getting greasy but beats the alternative. I've found attaching them with tie wire vs the magnetic "Hide-a-Key" boxes is more secure and reliable, or even using a coded padlock.

Do you change your own oil?

I was talking to someone else about this, and he pointed out that the minimum wage help at the local oil change place will all know how to help themselves to your keys if they want them.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Do you change your own oil?

I was talking to someone else about this, and he pointed out that the minimum wage help at the local oil change place will all know how to help themselves to your keys if they want them.

Generally, yes. It depends on the timing. I have a shop I trust and it only costs me $10 more than doing my 7.3L diesel oil change myself so I do use them. Any other time I have done it myself if I can borrow an oil pan large enough for 15 quarts.

Queen said:
I like that!  It would fix the issue of what to do with my stupid expensive key when I'm out kayaking, no need to take it with me and hope the salt water doesn't get to it, just leave it locked on land.

You've got a Toyota, right?

With my 2012 Ford, I found I could get the hardware store to cut a plain, non-chipped key that would still work just fine to open the locked doors.  Just can't start the truck with it.

If the same is possible for you, you could lock your expensive key in the glove box and just hang the simple door key around your neck.  Be a lot cheaper than that hitch key safe.

^^^ I have a Nissan, but I'll check on a non chipped key and see if it can be done.

On my Toyota you need the chipped key to START the vehicle, but a traditional cut key will unlock the door. So you hide a cut key outside the vehicle, and hide a chipped key inside the car to use for starting and driving away.

Why not just hide a chipped key outside? Because should the key hidden outside get lost I'd rather loose a $5 cut key than a $$$ chipped key. Also if someone finds the outside key they still can't drive off.

ArtW said:
Anything in a box marked BMW isn't cheap

LOL!  Very true Art!  LOL!  I just went for a look over on the brakes and estimate on my car yesterday!   :s

akrvbob said:
My 2015 GMC van only came with 1 key, which terrifies me. It's laser cut and chipped so I had a really hard time finding a dealer who could do it in shop. Today I found one in Prescott AZ and two keys cost me $100!!

I asked him what would happen if the van was locked and the key was lost. He said I  would have to stand in front of him with ID and the title and registration or he couldn't give me a new key.

I'm going to guard these keys with my life!!!

Hi Bob.

$50 per key is very expensive, but $250 for one for my car (which I have heard has gone up) is outrageous!  I think you/we need to go into the key-lockout business!  LOL!  REALLY!  Why not!!?  "Traveling Lock-out Service At Your Service"?    I am planning on doing locksmith school.  If you decide to seriously do this Bob, or anyone, maybe you could hire me in the future.  Please keep my name or private message me.  Thanks and keep one key on Cody's collar, the other, wherever you want, Thanks, Sandi

My camper won't lock without a key....I keep an extra in there, somewhere!

The other way to look at this is to never lock your vehicle without using the key. We have all gotten into the habit of just hitting the door lock key in the door, but if we stayed old-school and only locked it with the key we'd never run the risk of being locked out.

The dogs are constantly locking me out of the motorhome.  They sit on the seats with paws on the lock button.  No problem, I hid a set inside one of the compartments below.  I've had three hide a keys attached to my van and every one has fallen off.  Now I have one ziptied to the frame.

Just an FYI, I have a 2007 Ford E-150 bought new with an alarm system. I found out at home while working on some electrical projects that this particular alarm requires the key FOB when the battery is connected. If you don't have the FOB your not going anywhere as the starter relay is disconnected!!!

so in my case not only have an extra key but an extra FOB as well. some folks said there key boxes fell off, My key and FOB are in a sealed plastic bag and I used a magnet out of a hard drive.
It's tucked away where it is completely un detectable. I replace the battery every couple years on the FOB. Been there now for years and ran over some pretty rough stuff and it has not come loose.

Latest posts