Don't lock your keys in your home/car.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's exactly what I did. I bought blanks off Amazon and had them cut locally and since they are small put one on a necklace and that was my emergency key.

I was getting my tire repaired at a tire shop yesterday and dude locked my keys in my trunk. They had to crawl through to the trunk to vrab the emergency release.

I had to use my hidden spare a couple of days ago. It was probably the fifth time in four years.

I can unlock my truck with my phone. As well as start it, check my tire pressure and oil life remaining, I think it can trouble shoot some engine codes too.

I don't know why, but i've always been paranoid of locking my keys in the car so I check like three times to make sure the keys are on me before shutting the door. I've never locked myself out, so no idea where that habit came from.

Every Road Leads Home said:
I can unlock my truck with my phone.

Unless you lock the phone in the truck.

It also means that hacker types can unlock and start your truck.

MrNoodly said:
It also means that hacker types can unlock and start your truck.

I think I actually remember reading this has been an issue in some of the more expensive vehicles, like the corvette.  I just googled it for the heck of it and the first two articles that come up

Why Car Hacking in Nearly impossible
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-car-hacking-is-nearly-impossible/

Followed by
The FBI Wars that Car Hacking is a Real Risk
https://www.wired.com/2016/03/fbi-warns-car-hacking-real-risk/

Both 2016 articles.  Who to believe!?

offroad said:
if it was freezing outside and i was locked out, a rock to the window might be a choice. Or if it was over 100 degrees.<br><br>paying for a replacement window is cheaper than hospital visit for frostbite-exposure or sunstroke&nbsp;
I've done the 110 degree day (purse closed in truck).  Got a good sunburn and when they came they couldn't get into my car.  They had to call a flatbed truck to tow it to the dealership.  I had to order a new $250 key.  When it came in a day or 2 later they wanted my ID and registration, which was all in the car!  Go figure!  The window probably I am guessing isn't cheap in a BMW?

Niall-CorollaLiving said:
I usually don't take phone sales, but I was sold on roadside service through my auto insuarnce. It cost like $13.90 a month, I have a one month trial to see if I like it. But it's Allstate Motor Club, sounds better then AAA and payments make it easier... Can't afford it, but I can't afford a misshap either.

I understand the payment plan making it easier, but $13.90 a month ($166/year) seems really expensive.  Unless there is something special in the coverage (other than their standard offering), I'd suggest shopping around.  I changed providers recently to Good Sam and am really glad I did (and the basic plan is half of what Allstate is charging you).  Hopefully, neither of us ever need to use it!

My 2015 GMC van only came with 1 key, which terrifies me. It's laser cut and chipped so I had a really hard time finding a dealer who could do it in shop. Today I found one in Prescott AZ and two keys cost me $100!!

I asked him what would happen if the van was locked and the key was lost. He said I would have to stand in front of him with ID and the title and registration or he couldn't give me a new key.

I'm going to guard these keys with my life!!!

I've been considering storing scans of my keys using "Key Me". Essentially, you do an up-close scan of front and back of your keys and store it digitally. Then, if you should lose your keys, you can have one made via their kiosks or via online order.

https://www.key.me/

There have been concerns raised regarding security, but it does seem that they have addressed these in a reasonable way. No way, of course, to make everything foolproof, but it's not as concerning as being locked out. I'll test it out and report back here.

Always a good reason to hide a key somewhere. Plenty of imaginative places to put them...sure you might be crawling around in the dirt and getting greasy but beats the alternative. I've found attaching them with tie wire vs the magnetic "Hide-a-Key" boxes is more secure and reliable, or even using a coded padlock.

I just keep a spare in my wallet, and spares of my other keys in the vehicle

come on people, everybody should have a hide-a-key. even if the key cost 250 bucks(ridiculous). highdesertranger

I have an obsession over lost keys, so my whole adult life I've carried a spare key to my vehicle and any other critical keys on a string around my neck.

It's been a life-save many times!

The new-fangled ignition keys are so expensive that I've spent a few bucks to have a couple of military dog tags cut so I can put one on each key ring.  They read:

REWARD IF FOUND
MY NAME
MY CELL PHONE #
MY EMAIL
@MY PROVIDER

I will gladly slip somebody $20 for returning some keys that would cost me $50 or more to replace.

The dog tags have 5 lines with a 16 character limit per line.  My email address is longer than 16 characters, which is why it's split on the last two lines.

Latest posts