Dometic and Power

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tam O'Bedlam

Reaction score
I just got my Dometic CFX50 Fridge (the last big thing before I move in to the van next Friday!) I have solar/batteries/charge controller all hooked up and running various things already.

Is it possible to wire the fridge directly to my bus bar if I cut off the 12v adaptor thingy and crimp on ring connecters? Should I just install one of these somewhere close instead? I would prefer to just hard wire it, but my electrical knowledge is very basic and I don't want to cause myself problems (or cut off the end of the cord if that won't actually work).

The adapter probably contains a fuse so you'll want to think about that. I think you'll probably want a fuse and a off/on switch. Then it should be fine.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

if you would read about electronics here you would know that 99% of the people hate ciggy plugs. things to keep in mind,

does cutting the cable and hard wiring void the warranty?
does the male end have a fuse?
how are you going to shut the power down if you need to?
also if you read here you would know there are a few options for plugs that are much better than a ciggy plug and also much better ciggy plugs then the one you posted a link for. Blue Sea makes a better Ciggy plug. highdesertranger

Yes hardwire is best, quality ring terminators.

If warranty is a issue, see if whole harness removes set aside if needed.

If quick disconnect desired, use Anderson PowerPole

I suggest that you get a Blue Sea Systems fuse block and hardwire all 12v loads to it.  

I replace ciggy plugs and the SAE connectors that are on portable battery chargers right away with the Anderson powerpoles.  Far superior.

I hate ciggy plugs and as I said in my original post I prefer to hardwire if possible. But the only 12v cord it comes with is for a ciggy plug. 

I am already using a Blue Sea Bus Bar and have hardwired my Maxxair Fan and LED lights and a set of USB chargers. I want to hardwire the fridge as well. The question is, can I use the provided cord if I cut off the ciggy plug end of it and wire it directly to my bus bar (with a fuse of course)?

Attaching (hopefully) a photo of current wiring/bus bar.

Attachments

• Bus Bar.jpg
    Bus Bar.jpg
    491.5 KB · Views: 16
I see your "buss bar" is really a 12 position fuse panel. Terminology is important to get your ideas and questions across clearly.

Yes, you "can" cut off the ciggy plug and direct wire to your fuse panel. Cutting the cord will more than likely void any warranty.

Here is the plug in question if that helps.

My experience with warranties is that the manufacturer will ALWAYS find a way to weasel out of actually fixing/replacing whatever the issue is. So while I don't go out of my way to "void the warranty" I also assume that the likely value of said warranty is nil.

Forgive my poor terminology/explanation, I am "self taught" at 45+ and doing the best I can all on my own.

Attachments

• 12v plug.jpg
    12v plug.jpg
    518.9 KB · Views: 6
Well since that's a modular cord, can always replace if you need it, or just say you lost it.

Not sure why you are asking the question?

The answer is yes, do what you like.

short answer is yes, you already have a quality fuse panel, so unscrew the ciggy plug that came with the refer and check to get the specs of the fuse. then hard wire it and use the appropriate fuse. let us not be so harsh with the newbie questions. highdesertranger