Cable Length Question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrailerManNJ

Reaction score
I'm getting a cheap 12v fridge & small 150 watt power station soon. Instead of running the fridge off a larger capacity power station that would be tied into a solar panel on my Prius (original plan), I've decided for simplicity, and will instead power the fridge directly through my car's 12v port, since I'm pretty much inside my vehicle 90% of the time. The power station is for the couple of times per week that I go into a Starbucks to work. Since my 12v port doesn't function when the car is off, I can simply plug it into the power station for the 3 or 4 hours that I'll be gone.

I'd prefer to have the fridge in the cargo area in the back of the car, but the 12v port is obviously up front...specifically, inside of the center console. Questions are...

*Do they make extension cords for 12v ports?

*Are there any safety issues/hazards from running a long cord like this (maybe 4 or 5 feet in length)?

*If I forego the power station and left the fridge off while away for a few hours, would the insulation be enough to keep the food cold in 90+ degree temps until I powered it on again?

Thanks!

Your power cord now is probably a 14 or even 16 gauge wire, take it with you to a hardware store and have the electrical store staff find a equal or thicker gauge wire to extend that, and learn where the fuse for that plug is as that will be the first thing to go if it’s drawing to much power. I would not forego the power for a few hours, spoiled food isn’t worth it.

if its only 5 feet distance, use 10 to 12 gauge pure copper (primary) wire to keep the voltage drop to a minimum. Some fridges don't like voltage drop, my 26 liter 12volt joytutu fridge compresser would cycle back and forth when the battery was in the 12 volts range. Right now I have about 5 feet between the battery and the fridge but I use a boost/buck converter to keep the voltage at 13.2 volts, if your fridges compresser start cycling back and forth, you might need a boost buck converter to keep the voltage up. The 12 volt fridges love stable power.
Years ago when I was using lead acid, sometimes my battery would get too low and the fridge would shutoff at night but the temperature in the fridge was cold enough that the stuff inside didnt go bad, it happened many times with no problems.

Just about all commercially available 12volt fridge/freezers will not stay cold for long inside an enclosed vehicle in 90deg. ambient outdoor temperatures without copious amounts of ice or power.
Now add 20+ degrees inside the enclosed vehicle and the cooling efficiency is even lower.

In my years of experience, the only way to safely store foods needing refrigeration for any length of time more than a few minutes here and/or there in daytime summertime heat is to keep the unit powered or iced up.
I use a Jackery to keep from using the 12v. vehicle port when stopped/overnight.

They do make extension cords for 12 appliances, but the fridge should have come with a long enough cord to reach anywhere in your Prius? Amazon is a good source for 12v. cordage:
https://www.amazon.com/EPAuto-Exten...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Naturally, YMMV. Good luck...

Last edited: