Dogs boondocking

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oneleggedcowboy

Reaction score
Hello boondockers! I will be starting my Great Western Trip on March 1st with my lil Sadie dog.. My question concerns her safety around coyotes, she goes camping here in the east with me all the time but although we have a few coyotes there are not many. My little Pug dog Sadie Mae Monster will be my traveling companion and I am concerned. What is yalls experience or opinion???

Don't leave food outside at night. 40 plus years, never had a coyote problem. Keep her close, hug her, everything will be good.

Hi!

I used to travel with a yorkie and two shihtzus. The yorkie and older shihtzu have crossed the Rainbow Bridge so I am left with one shihtzu now.

Barkie little dog, fearless/stupid. I have certain rules with her when boondocking...well...all the time.

1) She is ALWAYS leashed when outside the van or if the van door is open, she is leashed to the inside of the van. Once she jumped out to greet a friend, so now she's attached to the van if the door is open. NO exceptions! ALWAYS! I can't control what other animals do, but on a leash, I can control her. And she wears a harness. A collar can slip off.
2) I am always close by, especially if the doors are open.
3) When she is outdoors with me, I carry pepper spray, bear spray, or a big stick.
4) I walk her only in daylight. If it's dark, she stays inside the van. Period.

Wild animals have never been a problem. Other campers' dogs off leash have been. I have had to pick her up to keep her safe from them. She is my best friend and closest companion. My travels are often planned around her comfort (we go where the weather will be okay for her). I wouldn't have it any other way.

Best wishes and happy trails with your little friend!

be wary of coyotes out west with dogs. especially small dogs. in areas where coyotes are shot at it's not so much a problem. the coyotes usually stay well away from man, they are not dumb. it's were they a protected that's where the problems start. also be aware that the gov still puts out poison in some areas. baits that attract coyotes also attract dogs. most of these areas are posted just giving you a heads up. I take my dog everywhere with me. so I am not trying to scare you just beware. highdesertranger

Highdesertranger,

I didn't know about the bait! Thanks for that info. Even on leash, a dog could sniff out bait and gobble it down before you know it! I have had her ingest something from a dead campfire (chicken bones?) once.

I now do a walk around my campsite looking for garbage, for that reason.

Also, watch for snakes. I've never yet encountered a live one but I know someone whose little dog was bitten by a rattler in a rest area. The dog survived but scary scary! So I don't let her get near brushy areas.

Thanks again, HDR.

This may sound scary, but bear in mind that very few others here have spent anywhere near as much time walking the back-country as my dog and I have. We've walked over 10,000 miles in National Forests and BLM desert land in the last 6 years.

My dog is 80 pounds and is almost NEVER on a leash. We've had more encounters with coyotes than I can count. Many times he has chased them and one time a pair chased him and there is no doubt they intended to kill and eat him. After he ran up to me they hung around on the hill above us trying to lure hum back out. Another time I was a campground host and we had a campground where the coyotes came right into the campground to catch little dogs.

We have had 6 very close calls with black bears, two of which could have gone either way whether the bear charged or not. One of them my dog decided to play games with a black bear cub and chased it up a tree. The other my dog chased a bear off the mountain straight towards me.

We've had numerous encounters with rattlesnakes. Fortunately my dog is naturally leery of snakes and wants nothing to do with them.

I know that sounds bad, but every one of these encounters occurred in their homes and you can't go into their country and blame them for being there.

Most importantly, nothing bad has every happened to either one of us.

I wouldn't trade any of those memories for anything they are my greatest treasure and I am tremendously grateful for each of them.

I could play it safe and keep him tied up, and not walk--but what kind of life is that for either of us? No, I'd much rather be mauled by a bear than have that kind of a living-death of fear.
Bob

Down near San Diego, coyotes can be a real problem. I saw my boss' dog get attacked by one in broad daylight a few years ago. I went after the coyote with a 2x4 and it ran off. The dog was rushed to the vet and survived. A neighbor of ours wasn't so lucky, losing 3 of her small dogs in about a year. One was taken in the middle of the day right in front of her.

This is horse country, though, which means the coyotes come in to raid trash bins and whatnot, making them less afraid of people. Out here, the 'yotes in populated areas are far more bold and dangerous than the ones in the back country. Something to remember if you boondock in suburbs or semi-rural places.

With a small dog, I would definitely keep her leashed and close to you. A large dog has a chance to defend him/herself until you can get there, a small dog doesn't.

Wow thats a lot of good info. I agree that I would never have worried about poison baits! Sadie is almost 5 years old and probably not been leashed 12 hours total. She is not going to like this but maybe she can run loose a little in a few places. I think I will do like Rvsue and get a portable pen so she does not have to be restricted totally with a leash. Do yall get quedtioned about dog license and rabies shots? Sadie has hers but lord only knows where that little metal tag is....

I did not mean to scare you on the baits the areas that they use them are few and far between and are supposed to be posted. coyotes can't read. I like bob let my dog run free 99.9% of the time. I always have my license and rabies records with me just in case. highdesertranger

I've yet to see a pen that would stop a yote and all it does for the little dog is to keep it from running and hiding.

Corky

Well it seems this is a definite concern but Sadie n I shall prevail. She is my service dog. She lowers my blood presdure, seriously it works! Well she is my lil shadow, guess its time for me to be her protective shadow.

As they said don't be afraid, be cautious and in control. Never leave the dog unattended. Not even to go over to the trash can or outhouse or whatever for a few minutes. The dog is either 100% protected by you or its not 100%. If you have a big dog, well, its more along the lines of what Bob said but a pack could even attack a big dog.

I was working in Birmingham Michigan and pulled up to a house that was 200 feet from Woodward ave and watched a coyote walk across 3 properties and go into someones backyard. It had come from the direction of one of the busiest highways in the state. This is not rural its along Woodward ave, an area of hot rods and cruising and dream cruise fame. All business and house after house. I then went on Birmingham's website and they warned about coyotes and said to NEVER let your dog out alone as they can be attacked. I never would have guessed.
When thinking of packing heat, my main fear is a pit bull or whatever coming after me or my dog, second is people. With that said, you DO NOT have the right to defend your dog, (your property) but you do have the right to defend yourself against a dog attack. I wont say any more about that as you have to figure it out for yourself. This can vary from state to state so I don't want to start on that whole thing. Know your state laws. Even if its a Moderately priced .22 or .380 pocket rocket. No I don't want to start in on the pros and cons of a .22 Know the state laws as far as carrying on state land and concealed carry. If it comes to a dog attack or coyote a .22 is cheap to buy, effective, cheap to practice with alternative. I also have a good spare tire, fix a flat, tire plugs, tow strap, jumper cables, tools, bailing wire and duct tape, insurance..................:)

Forgot to include those dead set against delivery devices. Get a walking stick. It will steady you on the trail and be your weapon. I'm not a wood expert so others will have ideas on this. It needs to be the right type of wood and I guess not too dry so it wont crack if you whack some dog in the head with it. Don't get a piece of wood that appears to be a club as some state will call it a weapon just like a knife or gun. Remember, its a walking stick.
I was pulled over for speeding by a state officer and she spotted my sawed off shovel handle and said it was an illegal weapon. I acted totally shocked and said its there because it broke and I have to stop at the hardware stop to match it up with a new one. Only thing she didn't notice is that it was the top foot and a half or so and would in now way be helpful or needed to buy a new one. Still got the speeding ticket and was happy. I know, I know, I "bent" the rules. I said I wasn't perfect. Seriously, know the laws.

Yes I agree on the walking stick. I have one thats made from rock maple root. It a tough one, I used to bend the aluminum canes I walked with because they would get in a spot between rocks or roots and cause me to stumble and throw my weight on them to keep from falling. The rock.maple id hanging in there so far. Hey I gotbone real leg, you know what active one legged people with a prosthesis learn to do first in rehab???? Land rolling, dont fall on your front and put your stump in a leverage situation, it hurts! Land rolling to take the blow glancing and not direct. We have coyotes too, the fox hunters turned them.loose about 10 years ago. My vet says they are Carolina dogs and have been here before Columbus. Who knows, they seem to be a lot bigger than the ones I saw in Pa. when I was there losing a leg.

Small dogs being taken by coyotes is a real concern. But honestly, it is highly unlikely. Just use common sense and you will both be fine.

I have a friend who lives in a Class C in the Southwest and for the last 5 hears he has had a cat that spends most of its time outside. You would think that a coyote would get him right away and yet it hasn't happened yet.

Use reasonable caution and your furry friend will have a wonderful, long life!
Bob

Sounds good Bob. Maybe if I ever get on the road Sadie Mae can meet up with Homer. She likes bigger dogs, shameless to say but once they get comfy with each other Sadie either naps in their shade when hot or on top of them when its cold. She is a mess! LOL

I almost always boondock......I'm on the eastcoast (n.East N.H @ the moment)....I have a service dog onboard....if the door is opened the dog is on a leash period. most places its the law anyways.. It is safer when you are in an unknown area , as others have said a good walking stick will help and I walk with a can of long range Wasp spray it does the job in a hurry if not I have a Bic lighter and the can of wasp spray will have a better effect!!..

leaving food outside is a bad habit along with trash....

if your running the dog ,do it later in the morning when game is gone into hiding your less apt to have problems and never run them after sunset......

Oneleggedcowboy wrote:
Sounds good Bob. Maybe if I ever get on the road Sadie Mae can meet up with Homer. She likes bigger dogs, shameless to say but once they get comfy with each other Sadie either naps in their shade when hot or on top of them when its cold. She is a mess! LOL
==============
She is a very smart girl! Sounds like my first two wives! :p
Bob

Good advice Mike about when the wildlife is less active. Bob you crack me up with the wife thing! Sadie has been to so many werkend camping trailrides and she will disappear instantly when she gets loose because she goes scavenging the campsites! I try to keep her leashed but I for sure will have to have a foldup wire pen for the Great Western Trip.

Latest posts