Dog ramp and other stuff

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking at these dog ramps online as I am planning to take my 12-years old golden retriever for a long ride next month. He is not as playful compared before wherein he can run and jump. I would like to know your opinions about these pet ramp as I am not sure whether it will work with my RV. Any other suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

I tried to use one for my last collie as he aged!

He hated the darn thing with a passion...sigh! Hopefully your golden will be more amenable to the assistance. Kenzie was just one plain stubborn old guy... :)

Do you have any carpentry skills? You can make one of these for allot cheaper than they sell for.

Dgorila1 said:
Do you have any carpentry skills? You can make one of these for allot cheaper than they sell for.

Is it really possible? I guess my brother can help me in creating one. What are the things that I need, in order to create a dog ramp?

You could probably make one out of plywood with a decent piano hinge in the middle for folding, underneath. Cover with rubber matting (ridges should go side to side) or roofing shingle material. Make it long enough not to be too steep; if the dog has to lunge forward, it's too steep.

my brother found a nice 'telescoping' aluminum model on craigslist for cheap.

word of caution for these telescoping models...first time i used the thing i held it wrong at the back of his station wagon, the 'inner' half slid out and down catching me right in the shin...peeled off about a 1 inch square of skin....OUCH!

hadn't felt that since my softball days...gettin the 'high cleat' to the shins from the runner slidin into second.....[still turned the DP, tho] :cool:

We use a ramp to get in the tow vehicle and used it when one dog hurt her leg. They work fine, BUT both of our dogs, a 12 year old and a 13 year old (one 65 lbs and the other 80 Lbs), prefer to have their leases on and be guided up. I don't blame them. I would go a little higher than the weight of the dog as the one we got has started to crack on the side guards and it should have been sufficient.

Good advice, SnowGypsy! The older dogs that would require something like this probably don't have the greatest eyesight, either. Having your 'human bean' beside you can prevent painful and expensive accidents.