Dog breed ideas?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kitt said:
EDIT: I wrote this yesterday but my laptop was glitching and was unable to post it until i got off work today and we got a new modem for our internet. But seeing the reply from GotSmart, i feel this should still be posted. But let me see if I can find a site ending in .edu.

HERE WE GO!

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.523.3931&rep=rep1&type=pdf

i just scanned but seems well written and reserched with lots of reliable sources :)

That was an extremely well researched and referenced paper.  Take the time and read it slowly.  I will not go deeply into it as that would disrupt this tread completely.    A wolf in the wild behaves differently than one in captivity.  I enjoyed it and have it bookmarked for further use.  :D

My observances of "rolling" have lead me to believe it is more like a kid saying UNCLE!

That has been trained out of a service animal while in harness.  

Masterplumbers post serves to reinforce my belief that attitude is everything.  If you show a lack of fear, and tend to assume a leadership roll, it will be accepted.  I have been bit only twice.  Once was a mother with pups by the front door that caught me by surprise, and the other was a Chihuahua.

masterplumber said:
Kitt, I think you and I may be using the term Alpha differently. For me it just means I am the leader of the pack. That means not just in charge, but also protector and provider. I think most dogs naturally recognize a leader, whether dog or human. And you are correct in that most wolf packs are family units. I can't really explain how I work with my dogs, I just love them and provide for them. I've had dogs all my life - grew up on a small farm and at times we had as many as 14 dogs. I also managed a kennel on the weekends when I was in high school. My wife jokingly calls me a dog whisperer. I don't know, I think I just understand dogs better than people. LOL. Dogs for the most part are totally honest creatures. If you pay attention you can usually read a dogs intention. And if you speak in a calm but firm voice without fear you can even get someone's trained Doberman guard dog to obey you - I can tell you from experience that it really irritates the owner when they get to the door and their trained watch dog is sitting in front of you quietly enjoying being pet. Also, rolling a dog on it's back can be play also - dogs do it to each other and I've played with my dogs also - just not in a mean manner to gain control.

The tendencies of huskies to run away off lease and chase small animals is true, but not 100% Wolf will chase squirrels and rabbits, but seems just curious about  cats. He has wandered off when he's had the chance a few times, but it is usually just nose to the ground not paying attention to where he is. As soon as he hears my truck driving around looking for him he comes running so as not to be left behind.

I think so too LOL. Most cases where i have talked to someone who uses terms like "alpha" and "leader of the pack" they also tend to use heavy handed, outdated training methods that provide lasting harm to the dog *cough cough* cesar milan *cough cough* (but i digress, i will not get on the topic of that man ahah)

so its very interesting (and rare) to me when someone uses such terms, but is more modern in their training, since dominance based training/theory tend to go hand in hand with outdated, heavy handed discipline.

and that's hilarious about the doberman. just today i was taking the trash out and a neighbor down the alley was walking two of his bullies and they were jumping on me and loving on me and he's hollering at the to get off and yanking their leash, and i look at him and tell him "don't do that, dear. I don't mind but if you really don't want them jumping on me.." and i hold my hand up and firmly tell them "OFF" and they both drop into a sit. a very wiggly butt sit, but sit nonetheless. His face was priceless.

I think this was just a classic case of miscommunication, and i absolutely apologize!

But thank you everyone for you advice, and input. I think that for now, I've gotten what i need :)

Perhaps if you can find one of these talking dogs.  It looks like a Shepherd mix, but ? 

(Video about 1 minute long)

The good news is that now they are starting to prosecute owners of aggressive dogs that maul and/or kill individuals. Hopefully, that will send a message.

Kitt said:
But now to my question. I'm in need of a psychiatric service dog. Kind of stumped on breeds that would also be suitable for van living.

Has there been any movement on this since you first posted? I'm not sure (yet) if what I'm thinking of will help you out. I'm still waiting on a few more details but wanted to reach out to at least find out if you've resolved this or not.

Steve

sl1966 said:
Has there been any movement on this since you first posted? I'm not sure (yet) if what I'm thinking of will help you out. I'm still waiting on a few more details but wanted to reach out to at least find out if you've resolved this or not.

Steve

What other details are you needing? I'm happy to provide any other details that will help!

And I'm planning on getting my van and renovating it sometime in the summer of 2017 and getting the dog any where from October 2016 (I'm going to Ecuador for about a month in July through the Tandana Foundation) and I'm currently living with my mom and our rental company won't let us have another dog. They are letting us slide with our cats (we aren't supposed to have them either) and my mom doesn't want to push it with another dog since they can evict us for our cats. She has Section 8 and as soon as we find a place that meets the requirements we will be moving and she said I can get an SD candidate then. So it could be anywhere from October to when I actually move out in to the van.

So I'm trying to do as much research and get and get as many different perspectives as possible, both from vandwellers and other people who owner train their service dogs.

So for an SD candidate I've narrowed my top pick breed choices down to
1. Rottweiler
2. German Shepherd (or a GSD mix)
3. Malamute
4. Northern Inuit dog
5. Native American Indian Dog

I need a large breed, and I adore wolfy looking breeds. Husky is too small. I'm not a big fan of Labradors or retrievers, just my personal preference. My girl is a 10 year old lab/bully mix and I adore her. She is overly protective of me since she was there thru everything that led to my ptsd and current issues. My coworker startled me while at petco (cane up behind me and said hi and scared the crap out of me cause 1. He has a deep voice, 2. I have issues with people coming up behind me (a task my SD will be trained for. Stand behind me and alert to people coming up)) and he reached to pet her and she put herself between us and growled at him.

I'm not allowed to take her when I leave since she's technically my mom's dog.

Yeah sorry I tend to ramble sometimes haha. I don't mind shedding and my stepmom is a dog groomer and used to be a professional dog trainer so I grew up helping her groom dogs and brush them and I did a lot of my pups training myself. Other than growling at my coworker that time she is exceptionally well behaved, has a perfect recall, excellent leave it, walks amazingly both on leash and off. We never really focused on sit or down or stay, but she knows wait, sit, down and load up means get in the car. She knows up and go lay down.

I'm very open to most dog breeds, and if I were to find the right labrador or retriever then I wouldnt hesitate. But I'm willing to go either the shelter route or breeder route. Some breeds I'm interested in are only available through a few breeders in the US. I'm also keeping an eye on craigslist since lots of people rehome their older dogs, and some Facebook groups I'm a part of also help people rehomimg their dogs. I had a lady change her mind on me and give her dog to her friend instead. He would've come free and was a treeing walker coonhound mix, had some training as an ESA and had been evaluated for SD work.

I also love coonhounds. Almost adopted a redtick coonhound but it didn't work out.

Yeah if any of you need any other details I'll be happy to provide them.

Sorry I haven't been on lately they've been scheduling me all these weird hours at work this week for some reason. Manager promised me my hours will get more settled and consistent.

I actually have work in a couple hours and I still have to do the sink and counter full of dishes my family left for me, and shower and wash my work clothes :exclamation: I should probably get off the Internet now!! Or at least make sure the washer is empty and throw some clothes in. Dishes won't take too long hahaha

Kitt said:
What other details are you needing? I'm happy to provide any other details that will help!

Oh I meant that I'm waiting on details about a program which the organization I'm employed by provides. This program may be of help in your search. Once I have those details I'll see if the info you've provided here is a match. I'll be in touch to let you know either way.

sl1966 said:
Oh I meant that I'm waiting on details about a program which the organization I'm employed by provides. This program may be of help in your search. Once I have those details I'll see if the info you've provided here is a match. I'll be in touch to let you know either way.

Oh alright! Thanks!

Kitt said:
Interwebz, find me a good service dag!

Ok Kitt. I think our program may be of help to you along with the self training you wish to do. Also your timetable may lend itself to finding (potentially) the right dog. This would most likely be a mutt, but there's a chance of a pure breed as well. You mentioned something about wanting an Indian dog (we call them res dogs since they come from the many nearby Indian reservations) which stands the highest chance of happening. I've been given a mountain of info which I've only gotten partially through, but know the contact info is somewhere in there. I'll finish sorting thru after work tonight and drop you another line.

Steve

sl1966 said:
You mentioned something about wanting an Indian dog (we call them res dogs since they come from the many nearby Indian reservations) which stands the highest chance of happening. 

There's a big difference between a rez dog and an Indian dog

http://www.indiandogs.com/

I'm certainly not giving the alleged Indian dog any credence in it's origin. The people who founded the club and breed also decided what's an *Indian* dog. In reality, they have just created another designer dog.

The *breed* is register-able with a couple of sketchy kennel clubs: International Designer Canine Registry, America’s Pet Registry and Certified Pet Registration.

cyndi said:
There's a big difference between a rez dog and an Indian dog

http://www.indiandogs.com/
No worries Cyndi. I'm aware of the "breed". My Navajo friends think it's funny, they point to random dogs wandering the res as Indian dogs.

sl1966 said:
No worries Cyndi. I'm aware of the "breed". My Navajo friends think it's funny, they point to random dogs wandering the res as Indian dogs.

Oh! I'm not speaking of Indian Dogs or American Indian dogs! I'm talking about the Native American Indian Dog! They are (sort of) another designer breed, but a friend of mine owns one from the founder of the breed, majestic kennels! Lovely dog!

There are only 4 or 5 kennels that breed NAID.

http://www.nativeskykennel.com/#!our-breeds-/zudi9

But yeah like I have the breeds I would like to own, but in all reality I'm fine with whatever dog chooses me! I just can't do small dogs because of what I will need them trained for!

Kitt said:
Oh! I'm not speaking of Indian Dogs or American Indian dogs! I'm talking about the Native American Indian Dog! They are (sort of) another designer breed, but a friend of mine owns one from the founder of the breed, majestic kennels! Lovely dog!

There are only 4 or 5 kennels that breed NAID.

http://www.nativeskykennel.com/#!our-breeds-/zudi9

But yeah like I have the breeds I would like to own, but in all reality I'm fine with whatever dog chooses me! I just can't do small dogs because of what I will need them trained for!

Ok, if it's any consolation. The Res dogs that I've worked with are far more intelligent than most of the mutts on average.  Most are of a decent size too.

sl1966 said:
Ok, if it's any consolation. The Res dogs that I've worked with are far more intelligent than most of the mutts on average.  Most are of a decent size too.

Yeah I absolutely adore res dogs. When I was 16 I spent a week out at a village on 3rd Mesa in Hopi Nation. Made best friends with a wandering dog out there. I named him Jeffrey and my group all adopted him as our own. Wasnt allowed to let him in the tent with me but he slept right outside all night and still managed to keep me warm! (I slept right next to him by the entrance) and he would nose the zipper open (I may have also always left it open a bit) and I would get to wake up to doggie kisses <3 then I would climb out and wander over to the cliff and we would sit and watch the sun rise every morning. Every night at circle he was right here with a head in my lap.

Thanks for bringing that up, I totally forgot about Jeffrey, the reservation mutt who was my constant companion for a week. There was also Oso, a little puppy who would always chase us when we were trying to do our service work.

I miss that Jeffrey boy.

A friend who was in the group I was in decided to sleep in a wheelbarrow (why none of us know, not even 4 years later) and we wake up at 3 in the morning to a crash and him screaming "NO JEFFREY GODDAMMIT WE CAN'T BOTH FIT HOLY SHIT NO DON'T AHHH *CRASH* KIKI COME GET YOUR DAMN DOG WAIT NO JEFFREY WHAT ARE YOU DOING NO KIKI KIKI KIKI KIKI GET YOUR DOOOGGGGGG" we all scramble out of our tents and the wheelbarrow is knocked over and Tito is tangled in his sleeping bag and we turn our headlamps on and tito is incoherently shrieking at this point and we look and Jeffrey the 90 pound plus mutt has him pinned and is humping him... that is a sight I will never forget and will always make me laugh. I literally collapsed laughing and Jeffrey saw me and ran over and just licked me to death.

Oh goodness I completely forgot about that.

Sorry I got VERY off topic right there but that is honestly my FAVORITE travel story ever!

When my G/F and I started looking around for a dog, we originally wanted an Australian Shepherd, or regular Collie. We decided on a Border Collie because I had one before and knew exactly what I was getting myself into, and we both wanted a more energetic dog that kept us both moving and running around. I'd say that Zia being 42lbs is perfect for van living. Shes not so big that it causes problems in the room we have, yet not too small. Shes a real doggie sized dog.

The only thing I insisted on, no matter what dog we got is that it be an adult rescue from either the SPCA, or or breed specific rescues. Having a puppy in a van would be horrible. I remember this from the last time I had a Border Collie and she tore EVERYTHING up for he first year and a half I had her.

We lucked out. Zia was an agility trained Border and already knew many many commands. She's really perfect for how I live in the RV.. She doesn't bark hardly ever unless there is a skunk, or deer, or person outside my door.

Yeah I was thinking about a border collie, as well as an Australian Shepherd but I just don't think I could keep up lol.

I've kind of settled on a standard poodle. I'm thinking about purchasing from a breeder, a reputable breeder of course. I've found a few that breed some really healthy and gorgeous working line poodles, one that breeds more for conformation/show lines and one that's a bit of both.

All 3 come highly recommended from someone I trust. Poodles are a lot more mellow and one of the above actually breeds poodles close to a Moyen size (it's between miniature and standard. They come in around 20-35 lbs)

And contrary to the reputation as a frou frou dog, Poodles are actually some amazing working dogs and are one of my favorites.

I'm not a fan of how the fur feels but it's okay. I won't have to deal with them shedding!!

I have had a few different breeds over the years, border collies, german shepard, blue healer, husky, all nice dogs, I really like the blue healer very loyal and the border collies, real clever, but the last dog I had for 11 years was a Border Terrier not my choice originally, I had to go along with my partners choice if we were to get a dog at the time, compromise, what a great breed, she turned out to be the best little dog, smart, fun, obedient, loyal and mischief, fun mischief.

I think a Mastiff would pick up on all those traits you described. They are very velcro, mine never left further than 5 feet from my side.

Every Road Leads Home said:
I think a Mastiff would pick up on all those traits you described.  They are very velcro, mine never left further than 5 feet from my side.

I love mastiffs and great Danes, but what worries me the most is canine hip dysplasia as well as their short life span. It takes 2 years on average to fully train a service dog, sometimes longer.

I'm still keeping my options open, and I know when it's the right time it will work out how it's meant to, but my top candidate so far is a standard poodle. I grew up helping to groom dogs and watching my stepmom train her standard poodle. Her dog did amazing with public access and passed her public access test after about a year.

Standards are pretty big and are some amazing outdoors/working dogs. A huge plus for me us also being able to control their coat length. When it's hot I can keep it short and when it's cold I can let it grow out.

I'm still welcoming any and all suggestions! Like I said I'm keeping my options fairly open!