Does vandwelling make as much sense for me as I think?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchan

Reaction score
As I get crunched by rising rent costs, increased medical expenses etc, I keep thinking about making the switch to full-time vandwelling. The idea of buying a "house on wheels" for a sensible amount of cash is appealing, especially when I could be putting my rent money toward other things more vital to my well being. It looks like I'd be saving about 9 grand a year even without factoring in utilities. (Of course, gas would become my "utility.")

I live on my own and am well established as a Texas resident. I work as a freelance writer, doing all my work over the Internet, so my work can travel with me. I have no physical mobility issues; most of my health expenses are dental and manageable, if pricey. Even if I stay in my part of the state, there seem to be a fair number of truck stops and other urban stealth camping options to keep me in range of civilization. I currently have a Ford Expedition but could eventually upgrade to a van.

Opinions?

Financially, in your situation as a freelancer who can work from anywhere, it makes a lot of sense. Vandwelling is much cheaper than living in an apartment or house in most cities. Add up all of your living expenses that will not change, then add in what you think you will spend on gas, occasional campground stays, etc. You may be paying more for internet. Food may also be more expensive depending whether you have to shop often, buy in smaller quantities, or eat out more often.

Emotionally it's a different story. Some people can not adjust to the lack of space, the rootlessness of not having a stationary dwelling, the opinions of other people, and the challenges of living an unorthodox lifestyle.

I say try it! If you're really unsure, keep your apartment. Go on the road for a week, a month, longer. See if you like it. Even if you give up your apartment you can always find another. This is not an all or nothing proposition without a way to go back to your former life if it doesn't work out.

Also factor in hygiene issues. Join a local gym to take showers, and as a benefit to also work out on their machines. Potty issues are real, but not insurmountable. Trash also becomes an issue to be solved. It's the little things that can trip you up if you don't think about them while making plans.

The fact that you are renting means that money is going away. If you can live in something small and be comfortable is one question you need to answer for yourself. Another aspect of that answer is "How much is it going to cost to be comfortable?" gym memberships and etc. You may find living in a camper trailer (like jimindenver) which can be pulled by your present vehicle might also work better for you if you require more room than a van.

only thing I haven't heard in your first post is that you want to wander. You want a nomadic life. You want to downsize for a real freedom life. Yea financially it is very appealing but honestly if this life doesn't interest you in any way shape or form as a vandweller, an rv person, a camper at heart etc....then I would find another way to downsize my life. It can easily be done without going into the abyss that might not suit ya. So think long and hard what do you truly want to do....don't jump before ya really think about it. But if you find this life will suit ya, go the heck for it!! :) best of luck.

What type of writing do you do?  If you are writing for some other organization, such as tech documents for a software firm, then you might need to be physically close to the development team.  Also you need to think in terms of how you will be able to do internet connectivity.  If you have to be online to do your writing, then you might not be comfortable with time delay.  It’s much easier if you can work offline and then later synchronize your work.  

Also you need to think of how you will be able to physically work in a vehicle.  That might require somthing a bit larger than a car or SUV.  You would need a workspace.  

You would also need to think of how you are going to provide power for the equipment that you will need to write on.

I've been doing 2-week road trips to various parts of the Southwest and Southeast, and so far it's felt just fine to me. My only complaint, oddly enough, is a certain feeling of lack of privacy, but that's because my Expedition isn't because enough to really use as a residence; it's more of a large metal camping tent for sleeping in, so I have to spend the majority of my daytime writing at cafes, restaurants, libraries, etc. Which can be okay, but sometimes gets noisy/chaotic. I can also write at Planet Fitness because I have access to the Wifi lounge as a Black Card member.

I do like to travel around; I don't feel particularly loyal to any part of the country, and I do want to see many of the major U.S. cities. Currently I'm attached to a weekly business networking meeting, but that could change down the road if I find myself making business connections through other organizations.

I already use a coin laundry at my apartment, so that expense at least would remain the same.

Sound like you have got this pretty well figured out. I haven't done it but others have, have you considered going to Mexico for dental treatment? If you can sleep in the Excursion and need more space maybe remove some seats to create a little office space? Or a lap top desk mounted to the dash board maybe? In urban areas with health clubs, food and work areas available why would you buy a van if you are already comfortable in the Excursion? With privacy curtains you have almost as much space as a van and really if you don't draw attention to yourself probably less obvious. It sounds like you would be a good canidate for a hightop van only if you wanted sranding room with less set up. Good luck!

Assume you have looked at the various conversion tabs at the top of the page. Look at Suanne’s Prius. That just amazes me. Anything else is a palace.
There is an YouTube video she does with Bob where they talk about essentials list and I think that’s the one where she does some showing of her setup, how she moves things around during the day so she can work on the computer (a phone) on her projects. She also has a blog but doesn’t write to it much, still it talks about living in that small space. She recently took everything! out and repacked. Interesting photos.

The above suggestions from others are very good about trying this out in bits.
Another option, renting a room in a stable home could be inexpensive enough you could travel and still have walls not metal around you all the time.

You have time, options. Just don’t run off and buy something with monthly payments for the next 10 years and a cellphone or hotspot plan with a 2 year lock in.

Right, I don't necessarily want to do something that's completely irreversible. If for instance I decided to return to apartment life, I'd need to figure out what to do about the gap in my tenancy history.... as for the vehicle (if I get another one), I'll want to buy something used but mechanically sound, in cash. No sense in trading one hefty monthly payment for another slightly-less-hefty monthly payment.

also if privacy is an issue with writing as you mentioned, be sure you address it head on. Don't be shy in your thinking. What irks you now a little, when full blown will drive ya batty later down the line, so be aware of what it will take for you to be ok. Sounds like you know what you want, now find the right way to make it all work for ya and not against ya.

ganchan said:
...it's more of a large metal camping tent for sleeping in, so I have to spend the majority of my daytime writing at cafes, restaurants, libraries, etc. Which can be okay, but sometimes gets noisy/chaotic. ...

To be honest, this is a red flag to me.  Your job depends on your ability to write and that means to concentrate.  If it seems noisy and/or chaotic now, then I'd be concerned that it would seem even more so over time - especially if this is the only means that you will have to do your job.  Also, if you are going to have to be at cafes and/or libraries to do your work, then you will be limiting the places that you can travel to.  

I'd spend a bit of time to determine how/if you can work within your vehicle.  You will probably be more successful if you have a means to have more than one place where you can work.  Also that would allow you to go into more free parking locations and still be able to maintain your work levels.

mpruet said:
To be honest, this is a red flag to me.  Your job depends on your ability to write and that means to concentrate.  If it seems noisy and/or chaotic now, then I'd be concerned that it would seem even more so over time - especially if this is the only means that you will have to do your job.  Also, if you are going to have to be at cafes and/or libraries to do your work, then you will be limiting the places that you can travel to.  

I'd spend a bit of time to determine how/if you can work within your vehicle.  You will probably be more successful if you have a means to have more than one place where you can work.  Also that would allow you to go into more free parking locations and still be able to maintain your work levels.

I can work within my vehicle as long as it's not sweltering in there. I may have to snowbird to manage that issue.

There have got to be a lot of answers to the "gap" in tenancy. IMO, yours would be something on the lines that you're a writer and just finished travelling the country working on a project.

Latest posts