does an inverter drain power from the battery anyway?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ella1

Reaction score
I had a GEN2 battery charger installed a few weeks ago. One bank attached to main battery, other to auxiliary battery.
I have not used the auxiliary batttery at all (an inverter is attached to it). When I plugged the charger in yesterday, both lights were red, indicating being charged. Why, since no use of the aux occurred? Or does the inverter still use some power? Thanks.

A inverter that is powered on, does use some power... depending on the size of the inverter. A tiny one (100 watts) will typically use only .1 amps per hour to be on. However, a larger 1000 watt inverter may use closer to 1 amp just to be powered on. Your inverter paperwork (or sticker on the inverter itself) should say how much it uses.

When you first hook up a inverter it has to charge capacitors which is why you can get a spark while connecting. The inverter can have a draw on going if it is left on even while it is not running anything. If you have a modern RV with a fridge and propane alarms, they will use power every day. Last thing is the batteries will simply slowly lose their charge over time if not kept up with a battery tender or solar.

No, the inverter is not turned on. Hooked up to the battery of course, but not turned on since nothing is being used.
There is a cable attached to the battery that is, at present, not connected to anything. The end is covered with I think, electrical tape.
Could that be the draw? There is no on/off switch to it, but also nothing connected to it.

Hooking a charger to a charged, rested battery will, typically, start a charge cycle. A generic explanation is that the float voltage put out by a charger is about 13.8 volts. Some smart chargers will put out up to 14.2 volts when charging a dissipated battery as a way of getting charge in quickly. After taking a battery off charge, the battery terminal voltage will drop a little as the surface charge (technical term) on the internal bits (non technical term) dissipate the surface charge until the battery reaches a rested state (technical term), probably in the 12.6 to 12.8 region. Individual setups vary a lot in those quoted numbers.

When you connect a charger to a rested battery, it will typically see a battery terminal voltage that is lower than the charger's idea of what is fully charged and start a charge cycle, on that basis. If the battery is, in fact, charged, the charge cycle will terminate quite quickly, indicated by the charger going in float. The forgoing may explain why you saw the charger indicate charging was happening.

Inverters often consume a "standby" current just by being connected to a battery. That current is typically quite low but will drain somewhat over time. A large inverter that is turned on using some deliberate switch operation, but not supplying an appliance, can consume upwards of an Amp just sitting there ready to go.

My answer to your original question is that you may be seeing normal indications of charger operation or the inverter is using some standby current and is draining the battery.

Thanks. And again, I left info out. It's a 400 watt inverter. So that light coming on red is okay.
Thanks.

Yes. If you do not turn the inverter switch off, or if your inverter doesn't have a switch, it will use power from the battery.