does a gap effect my insulation?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob-Goose

Reaction score
I'm using the 1" thick r5 foam board, I started gluing an forgot to measure the depth ribs in the van where ill be installing my wood walls to cover it up. iv got about 3/4" gap between the insulation and where the actual wall will be. will this cause a problem for moisture or anything ?
i will have the same problem with the roof seeing as its 2 1/4" depth from the van wall to the edge of the ribs.

The gap itself is not a problem if you have a completely sealed up moisture barrier that will prevent any moisture getting into the gap. However if warmer than the dew point moisture does get into that gap then it will develop condensation on the below dew point temperature metal surfaces.

For anyone who is seeking to understand this physics issue just do some edcational, internet research with the keywords....dew point condensation moisture barrier. That will help you understand how condensation happens and what can be done to prevent it. Those types of articles include illustrations and pictures are worth more than a thousand words in a forum posting.

so basically i have to put in a moisture barrier then on to of the insulation if theres going to be a gap.

Pretty much that is how it works. If moisture in the interior air hits the cold metal that is dew point or below in temperature it will condense. It will also do the same thing to the window glass. Or you can look at an alternative insulation that is adhered directly to the metal surface since that is both a moisture barrier as well as insulation.

I get the dew point stuff but I am not sure if it was me that I would worry too much about this gap, the ribs are metal so you will be moving cold air through them anyways, it is not as easy as in a house to stop all the condensation from forming, the best I think you could do is have good ventilation, opening windows and or vents, not use too much non vented propane and if possible use some kind of dry heat heater, vented propane, deisel or wood. If it is easy to put in a vapor barrier then by all means, I am sure it will help,

flying kurbmaster said:
I get the dew point stuff but I am not sure if it was me that I would worry too much about this gap, the ribs are metal so you will be moving cold air through them anyways, it is not as easy as in a house to stop all the condensation from forming, the best I think you could do is have good ventilation, opening windows and or vents, not use too much non vented propane and if possible use some kind of dry heat heater, vented propane, deisel or wood. If it is easy to put in a vapor barrier then by all means, I am sure it will help,

ya i plan on keeping the windows open and always have some sort o wind flow going threw the van as much as possible. how ever i did stumble across this thread https://faroutride.com/condensation...Fnl_X7GsigZ1ilBwMDGFGyLocY75DSHkk6QlUrL2npYC4
and it gives some pretty good insight, so i may pull out the little bit of foam board i have now, and buy rockwool boards, they are 2 inchs and i can just lightly compress them with the wall, this will help with the gap i think.

I posted somewhere elso on here to use Thermax as it's fire resistant & if you're asleep & a fire starts it's the fume that kill you before the fire does. Most non expanding spray foam won't burn wither.

flying kurbmaster said:
I highly recomend the deluxe chinese (same place espars are made) , comes with all the parts you could ever need diesel 5kw heater with the digital contril & key fob controller you just point & shoot. Shipped &  got it in 2 dayscan't wait to install it.

Gr8ful said:
I highly recomend the deluxe chinese (same place espars are made) , comes with all the parts you could ever need diesel 5kw heater with the digital contril & key fob controller you just point & shoot. Shipped &  got it in 2 dayscan't wait to install it.

You shouldn’t be recommending something you haven;t even taken out of the box. It may very well be the best heater ever made for the lowest price, but you won;t know that for some time yet. Comparing it to an espar is a bit unfair to Espar as well as to the readers of this forum. Just because it’s cheap, has a lot of new shiny bits and arrived on time should not rate in highly recommended heater category. It may well get there but not as long as it is still in the box.  No one rates a new car by looking at their reflection in the chrome.

Rob-Goose said:
ya i plan on keeping the windows open and always have some sort o wind flow going threw the van as much as possible. how ever i did stumble across this thread https://faroutride.com/condensation...Fnl_X7GsigZ1ilBwMDGFGyLocY75DSHkk6QlUrL2npYC4
and it gives some pretty good insight, so i may pull out the little bit of foam board i have now, and buy rockwool boards, they are 2 inchs and i can just lightly compress them with  the wall, this will help with the gap i think.

That was an interesting article so what I got out of it is that  you attempt to move the line where cold meats warm somewhere in the insulation.

Of course what no one knows from their article is that the insulation in the Boeing aircraft is very thin, only about a half inch thick, and it is a fiberglass mat encased in a thin, sewn together covering. Those big jet engines provide all the power that is needed to keep the interior air cozy, oxygenated and dehumidified. Comparing insulating a Boeing aircraft to insulating a van seems rather odd to me as Boeing is barely insulating the planes, they don't have to. They are not intended to be lived in on the ground and they try to spend a minimal amount of time on the ground with passengers inside them.

flying kurbmaster said:
That was an interesting article so what I got out of it is that  you attempt to move the line where cold meats warm somewhere in the insulation.
I like cold meats & warm cheese.

flying kurbmaster said:

more or less, i dont know how well it will work tho, until i try it out and see for myself. i just want to tr to minimize the exposure to the metal as much as possible, and even still this may not even work lol.

It is not too difficult or expensive to keep moisture from the surface of the metal interior and also decoupling from the metal. Coupling just means metal directly against metal will carry the cold into the interior. Decoupling means putting a material between the metal that slows down the transfer of heat or cold.

As far as keeping moist air out of ribs that is very simply. You can caulk along the seams where the sheet metal body pieces meet each other. A tedious job but done in a few hours at very small expense. Metal duct tape can cover over any openings on the ribs. Small weep holes at the base of walls and ribs or inside of doors should be left open but they are so tiny they will never create a significant issue of moisture infiltration behind insulation panels so don't worry about them, their function by far overcomes the very tiny amount of incoming moisture those openings might create.

The video mentioned using a product that had foam sandwiched between foil. The foam is the important component. You don't need anything fancy in the way of an insulating product although they of course do work. You can purchase 1/8" or thicker EVA foam. That is a closed cell foam that does not absorb moisture. It works nicely for decoupling and facing the front and side of ribs or even the larger metal surfaces of panels. To avoid condensation that is actually sufficient. To slow down heat transfer and keep the interior warm then thicker insulation will work better.

So where to find EVA foam? A lot of self adhesive foam weather stripping is made of EVA or other types of close cell foam so that works nicely for many small gaps between materials. You can also get rolls of EVA foam sheeting, it is sold in hardware and home goods stores as shelf and drawer lining. In craft stores it is sold in sheets and rolls for craft project. In places such as Lowes, Home Depot and carpet stores it is sold as as rolls of underlalyment for the snap together flooring systems. In auto parts stores it is sold coated with thin reflective metal, the stuff that controls heat and deadens sound. You can also buy it from auto upholstery sources in various thickness where it is sometime called Landau foam. For attic insulation and such it is also sold in rolls with metal on both sides of it for suspending between framing members.

But for the vans to prevent condensation you don't need a metal surface coating on it, the EVA foam itself is sufficient for covering the metal to prevent the condensation.

The thin headliner types of carpet that can take some forming around curved surfaces is also a sufficient for preventing condensation. If moisture does get on the surface it won't drip down on your head unless it was a major leak coming in. The fine particles of moisture will cling to the fibers. If you are not looking for thick insulation it works just fine for a van interior surface as it is easy to clean and does help deaden the sound transfer of road noise. It too is easy to cut and adhere to metal surfaces.

Thanks for all the tips!  i dont know if ill go as far as the chalk thing, but the ribs are insulated already, i ended up putting rockwool in the gaps as lightly as i could, i was just worried about the gap of space between the insulation and the wood wall on the inside. (if that makes sense?)

Re headliner, I had some loose batt insulation in my roof, it was ok but I decided to add another 3/4 inch of foam board, and 5mm tung and grove boards, over that. It made a huge difference, I used to get a bit of condensation on the edges inside some of my cupboards in the morning before turning the heater on every once in while, that doesn’t happen anymore, they are dry and the whole van feels warmer, and cooler on hot days, I lost a bit of headroom but it was worth it.

good to know! ill make sure the gap s completely filled on the roof then, thanks for the info!

Rob-Goose said:
so basically i have to put in a moisture barrier then on to of the insulation if there's going to be a gap.

There is a lot of debate as to moisture barriers in vans. Lots of people assume the same rules apply as in homebuilding... but they don't.... at least not exactly. 

There should only ever be one moisture barrier because, once moisture gets between the two barriers, it is very hard for it to get out. That's when you get mold and mildew. In a home, that barrier is close to the inside in areas where it gets cold. And it is close to the outside, in hot, humid environments. Basically, the barrier needs to be on the warm side of the insulation, so the barrier itself doesn't get cold and cause moisture to condense on it. Some people are going to challenge this, saying that Tyvek House Wrap is put on the outside of houses even when there is a moisture barrier on the inside. But the first line on the Tyvek web page says it, "helps prevent the infiltration of air and water, but lets water vapor escape to prevent rot and mold inside walls."

However, in a van or car, you already have a moisture barrier: The metal wall of the vehicle. In warm environments, this works great, but in cold environments, this is a problem. One that I don't believe is solved by adding a second moisture barrier. If you do choose to install a second moisture barrier, you have to make dead sure that you have an absolute seal, That space between those two barriers must be utterly hermetically sealed. If you do that, then it can significantly increase the R-Value of your whole installation, because no air can get through. Here's the rub. Almost no one can do that. If you have to put a screw through your vapor barrier, well now moisture can get in there. And, in a vehicle, those things are almost certain to eventually get damaged. 

Now, lots of people will jump in here and tell you that the metal wall of the vehicle is not a complete vapor barrier because there are drain holes at the bottoms of the doors and such. But, if you look carefully, those drain holes are between two separate layers of the metal: The outside of the body, and the inside structural frame. The inside of the vehicle is still usually pretty well sealed from the outside of the vehicle. 

So, if you install an additional vapor barrier, you are just adding work to your project and increasing the chance that you will get mold and mildew in that space between the two barriers. 

So, what do you do?

First, leave out the vapor barrier. You already have one. 

Next, you want your insulation glued as closely to the wall of the vehicle as possible, so no moisture can get between the insulation and the wall of the vehicle. Yes, this is a bit of a vapor barrier, but it is localized to each separate piece of insulation, so it is easier to keep a handle on. Then seal between every piece of insulation, all the way down to the metal wall. The idea is to keep as much air from inside the vehicle from contacting the inside surface of the metal wall of the vehicle. {But don't use Great Stuff foam sealant. That stuff is open cell foam (despite what their web site tries to trick you into believing) and will hold moisture. I have read old posts about people ripping out Great Stuff foam and finding rust all over the inside of their vehicle, but only where that foam was.} Just use flexible sealant like silicone. My favorite is Lexel, because it stays more flexible than silicone and sticks better to more stuff, but it is pretty expensive to go squirting it all over the inside of a vehicle. But be careful using cheap household caulk. That stuff gets stiff and will eventually pull away from the metal. 

Finally, build your actual wall so it will breathe. Now that you have done everything you can (other than an easily damaged moisture barrier) to keep air from getting to the metal wall, you need to accept that some moisture will get between your wall and your insulation. The point is to make sure it can find its way back out again. My preference is simply a fabric wall covering with quilt batting behind it. But that can be hard to keep clean. Only put solid paneling on the parts of the wall that you will see. Behind all your cabinets, just put some strips of wood or fabric or netting to keep the stuff in your shelves from beating up the insulation. Or maybe drill a bunch of holes in the paneling back there. Instead of solid paneling, use strips of paneling or thin wood, or even plastic strips. Just make sure that any air that gets behind the paneling can easily get back out. Remember, the paneling is really only there to protect the insulation (and for better looking YouTube videos). The insulation is really doing all the work. 

Now, around your cooking area, you will want to keep that large amount of moisture from getting behind the wall, if possible. In this case, the interior surface of the wall (the surface that is facing you) should be your only additional moisture barrier. That way you can clean it as well as easily see if it is damaged. But, you will still get some moisture behind that wall. So you still want the space behind that area (between the paneling and the insulation) to be able to breathe. 

Don't let people with tough-guy sounding user names fool you. And remember, X years of experience in construction does not mean someone truly understands the physics of what is going on and how building in a van is different from building in a house. I am sure at least someone is going to get in here and aggressively challenge my intelligence or experience. Yeah, don't let that fool you either. Just think about the science and make your own decision.

Good luck.

this is very helpful thank you. my initial thought about a second vapour barrier is what you first stated, hense whey i came here to see what everyone was doing before i did my installation.
i wish i read this last night before i bought my 4x8 sheets of panelling hahaha. i will prob end up cutting them into strips at this point

Latest posts