Dodge Van suspension question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4RunnerBlues

Reaction score
Hey All,
I’m thinking of improving my van ride, especially on bumpy/rough roads. 1990 Dodge B250 extended van conversion. Already have new tires and shocks. Considering Timbren bump stops, rear sway bar or helper springs. Which,if any, might be the best bang per buck? Or is there something else you might recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it depends on what you want to improve on.

does your van sway to much on off camber roads? or when negotiating rut's/pot holes?

do you hang up body parts like on you approach/departure angels? or do you scrap like high center?

do your fillings fall out on washboard roads?

is your suspension sagging from age or overloading?

is your suspension making noise?

etc, etc

highdesertranger

Suspension is not making noise, and van is not sagging. My fillings loosen on washboard roads. When I hit a pothole, the rear end will bounce up and down. The water tank is the rearmost thing underneath, and it has some scrapes on the corners. I’ve had this van about a month and named it Rob for Rusty Old Bucket. Don’t know yet if excessive sway or high centering will be problems.

"My fillings loosen on washboard roads" = slow down

"When I hit a pothole, the rear end will bounce up and down" again slow down. if it bounces more then one time it needs shocks. what type of shocks did you install?

sounds like you could use a little more height. can you get a little taller tire on there?

highdesertranger

The shocks were replaced by previous owner and are brand “Rancho”.
The tires are Michelin Defenders M/S and are as tall as I can get on 15” wheels.

Still sounds like you need rear shocks.

4RunnerBlues said:
My fillings loosen on washboard roads.

This can happen if the suspension is too stiff for your needs. A B250 is a 3/4-ton van, which means it has stiffer springs (though not as  stiff as a 1-ton van) so it can carry heavier loads. The ride will be harsh, jarring, tooth-rattling if it's lightly loaded. 

However, you mentioned bump stops and helper springs. Does the van bottom out when going over large bumps? If so, then it could be that you're overloaded. If you don't bottom out, helper springs would just make a stiff suspension even stiffer.

Just my opinion, but the tail of and extended Dodge (or extended Ford) is the worst place to put the weight of a water tank. It's like putting the fat kid on the end of the teeter-totter.

yeah Rancho shocks aren't anything special. I would go with KYB or Bilstein. but changing shocks are not going to help it sounds unless, does it bounce more than once when you hit a pot hole or dip? highdesertranger

I have a 1989 Dodge and have the same problem (bouncy rear). I had installed new rear shocks, helper springs, and recently even installed airbags. None of those will or was planned too help with the rear hop. In fact, other than the shocks, the springs and bags only make it worse.

Bump stops will have no effect on the ride.

Sway bars (or anti-roll bars) will also have no effect on a straight-line ride. They will help prevent body roll in corners, but not help with the problem you describe.

Spring helpers are intended to prevent rear suspension sag, not make the ride any better. In fact, the higher the spring-rate, the worse the ride will get on washboard roads.

Luckily there is an easy fix that costs little to no money. If you do not already have one, get an air pump. Then, simply deflate your tires for the washboard roads. You will have to deflate them into the low 20's or teens, but then your tires will absorb much of the washboard, not your springs and chassis. Re-inflate with your pump (which will take a fair amount of time) when you return to paved roads. Obviously which tires you have dictate if you can deflate them real low or not.

If you want to throw more money at the problem; bigger tires (of the all-terrain type) will help. Get 31 inch (or even better, 33 inch) all terrain tires. I have 31's on my 15 inch rims. They fit under the van... barely. Look damn cool, and ride a lot better off road. Still a fair amount of rattle through. Nothing will prevent it 100%.

Thanks to each of you for your thoughts. All very helpful.
I have not loaded the van yet, but it does have the cabinets and sofas installed by Roadtrek. Jumping on the back bumper (less than 150 lbs) causes only one hop although there is some side to side movement after that.
Totally agree about the water tank placement. At least it’s not the 35 lb gas tank.
Also glad to hear about the easy solution and will try that. Have a DieHard backup/recharger that also has an air pump which works great.

Van-Tramp, why did you install the air bags? Was that to help with the load?

Tires are a huge part of off-road suspension. Big balloon tires at low pressures, with moderate compression and lots of rebound on the rear shocks... Real life example 4500# race truck 31/10.5's at 18 psi.

I'm a little late to this discussion but wanted to add....

I too have a 1990 Dodge B250 Roadtrek. It also had a very bouncy ride.

The best money I ever spent on it was to get Bilstein shocks. I hated to do it as the previous owner had just bought new shocks for it - Monroes. And the Bilsteins weren't cheap. Around a $100 a piece I think. But wow, what a difference! Would do it again in a heartbeat. Just my two cents.

good point Vonbrown.

only air down when off road and only if you have a way to air up BEFORE you get back on pavement. highdesertranger

Doubleone said:
Tires are a huge part of off-road suspension.  Big balloon tires at low pressures, with moderate compression and lots of rebound on the rear shocks...  Real life example 4500# race truck 31/10.5's at 18 psi.

ya, and they last about one race. use like that on a road rig would require deep pockets just for all the replacement tires. not to mention they would be a little squirrely on the street

Mitchell, also previous owner of my 1990 Roadtrek has installed new shocks. Do you happen to remember which models of Bilsteins you got?