Greetings from the Pacific Northwest!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings from The Pacific Northwest!  

I’m happy to be on the forum after lurking on Youtube for the last several months.  I actually found Caroline’s RV Life videos first then found Cheap RV Living.  It really makes my heart happy to see someone helping people live in their cars successfully and happily, and changed my attitude about people that live in their cars!

I’ve always known I would be an RV snowbird when I retired.  What’s changed is my timeline.  The biggest catalyst for this was the sudden unexpected death of a friend that was just one year older than me.  I felt so overwhelmed with grief that she worked so hard and never got to spend a single day enjoying retirement.  Looking at Bob’s videos has changed my view of what I need to retire and hit the road.  

When my kids were little in the 1980’s we had an old Alaskan camper.  So much fun and so many great memories with that rig.  When the kids were older in the 1990’s  I had a Dodge high top conversion van.  Early 2000’s it was tent camping with a truck and canopy.  Eleven years ago I bought Gertrude, a 1995 21 foot Jamboree Searcher Class C on a Ford E350.  I had thought I would get a newer 24 foot when I retired, but…..I had a moment of clarity.  Why the heck would I want to spend all that money on a newer RV?  I love Gertrude!  And I realize I never want anything bigger than 21 feet.

I’m slowly making modifications to her.  I am fortunate to have a secret weapon, my #1 son that helps me so much.  I added heavy duty sway bars a few years ago, wow what a great improvement that was. New shocks are on the “to do” list.  We have completely rewired the coach, and changed all the lights to LED’s.  New charger that charges my batteries super fast with the generator.   It’s all wired for solar panels on the roof, the panels will be purchased and installed in November, so hopefully I will rarely need to use the generator.   Ripped up the carpet and put down the vinyl planks, painted EVERYTHING inside, purple, gray and white.   Took out the bathroom door and put up a curtain.  New curtains with blackout liners on every window.  Ripped out the monster microwave and reclaimed a huge cupboard.  I did add a tiny under counter microwave because it was easy and I had room.  Still working on numerous other little projects to make it work better for me and the “to do” list is still active, some of it just waiting for the $.  I think I can get through most of the "to do" list by late spring.

Right now I just travel when I can with vacation time.  I’ve taken quite a few trips with Gertrude, she had 28,000 miles when I bought her, and we just rolled over 70,000 on my last trip earlier this month.

RTR or bust!!!  I‘m taking off 3 weeks in January to come to the RTR!   My mom is 87 and still full of piss and vinegar.  Nothing makes her happier than going on a road trip with me in Gertrude, so I’m bringing Mom to the RTR too.   With a 3 week timeline, we should be able to enjoy the trip down and back without having to drive 700 miles a day. 

See you at the RTR!

Tammy
The View From My Place – it’s great because it’s always new!
Mom at Lake Wynoochee.jpgRV interior.jpg RV interior 2.jpg

Attachments

• RV interior.jpg
    RV interior.jpg
    743.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Mom at Lake Wynoochee.jpg
    Mom at Lake Wynoochee.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 28
  • RV interior 2.jpg
    RV interior 2.jpg
    955.9 KB · Views: 34
OH MY.. that is so inspiring... I seem to get so caught up in the details that i miss the opportunities... learning to live... little by little 
best to you, and ty

Very inspiring, I have a feeling you are going to have an awesome trip with your mom! I miss my mom so much, good for you. Have fun!

Welcome to the forums and nice ride. My grandmother was named Gertrude and I named my first semi truck Gertrude. Grandma Gertie used to take care of me a lot since my parents where less than ideal in that respect. My truck took care of me when I was out on the road alone. What a great name for your ride! Hope you have a great time at RTR.

I love what you've done to your RV! My water pump just happens to be named Gurgling Gertie by the way... [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome Tammy to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

TheViewFromMyPlace said:
I’m happy to be on the forum after lurking on Youtube for the last several months.  I actually found Caroline’s RV Life videos first then found Cheap RV Living. 

Eleven years ago I bought Gertrude, a 1995 21 foot Jamboree Searcher Class C on a Ford E350.  I had thought I would get a newer 24 foot when I retired, but…..I had a moment of clarity.  Why the heck would I want to spend all that money on a newer RV?  I love Gertrude!  And I realize I never want anything bigger than 21 feet.

Ripped up the carpet and put down the vinyl planks, painted EVERYTHING inside, purple, gray and white.   Took out the bathroom door and put up a curtain.  New curtains with blackout liners on every window.  

Tammy
The View From My Place – it’s great because it’s always new!

Like you, I discovered  both Bob's and Caroline's YouTube channels and have been watching and learning for the past year.    Now I'm  also subscribed to several other full time RVERS and van dwellers.

I am so glad you decided to stay with your class C and didn't buy newer.  With some work and a few $$$ you will have everything you could possibly need!  

I absolutely love your colour choices!   (can you tell by my spelling of colour that I am Canadian?)
I like the layout of your right too.  

I would have liked to have bought a class C but decided on building out a cargo van instead for many reasons.  The build is taking longer than I would have liked but life gets in the way and I have to try to remain balanced.

I was so hoping to be able to go to the RTR this coming January but it just won't be possible due to a conflict in events that week and I have to attend the other event instead.  However, I will be heading down to Arizona afterwards.  

Where in the Pacific Northwest do you live ( which state, not a specific location)?  I am in the lower mainland of BC so we may be sort of neighbours!

RTR or bust!!! I‘m taking off 3 weeks in January to come to the RTR! My mom is 87 and still full of piss and vinegar. Nothing makes her happier than going on a road trip with me in Gertrude, so I’m bringing Mom to the RTR too. With a 3 week timeline, we should be able to enjoy the trip down and back without having to drive 700 miles a day.

I love your color scheme! Just saw a video about how much and how quickly new RV's depreciate. You're wise to go with a used one. Lived in the PNW for a few years and loved it. I camped all over the Olympic Peninsula in a tent by myself. According to disapproving relatives/friends, I was foolish and should have been killed many times over by animals, two-legged beasts, the weather, an accident, health problems, etc. The only things I encountered were kind and helpful people. Fantastic campgrounds and sites there. Had to leave due to family's needs, but didn't really want to. I'm still stuck in a "typical" existence but hope to go full-timing soon. I'm tentatively planning to go to RTR and hope to meet you and your Mom. She and I are in the same age bracket.

Motrukdriver said:
Welcome to the forums and nice ride.  My grandmother was named Gertrude and I named my first semi truck Gertrude.  Grandma Gertie used to take care of me a lot since my parents where less than ideal in that respect.  My truck took care of me when I was out on the road alone.  What a great name for your ride!  Hope you have a great time at RTR.

Thanks Motruckdriver.  I love the name Gertrude.  Growing up in the Seattle area in the 60's there was a morning kids show called JP Patches, a clown that lived at the city dump.  His wanna be girlfriend was Gertrude!

Elaine K said:
Like you, I discovered  both Bob's and Caroline's YouTube channels and have been watching and learning for the past year.    Now I'm  also subscribed to several other full time RVERS and van dwellers.

I am so glad you decided to stay with your class C and didn't buy newer.  With some work and a few $$$ you will have everything you could possibly need!  

I absolutely love your colour choices!   (can you tell by my spelling of colour that I am Canadian?)
I like the layout of your right too.  

I would have liked to have bought a class C but decided on building out a cargo van instead for many reasons.  The build is taking longer than I would have liked but life gets in the way and I have to try to remain balanced.

I was so hoping to be able to go to the RTR this coming January but it just won't be possible due to a conflict in events that week and I have to attend the other event instead.  However, I will be heading down to Arizona afterwards.  

Where in the Pacific Northwest do you live ( which state, not a specific location)?  I am in the lower mainland of BC so we may be sort of neighbours!
Hi Elaine, I'm in western Washington, so we are probably not to far apart.  Your van build sounds like a big undertaking, but I'm sure will be worth it.  I think if I was looking to buy now, I would go with a van.  I've had Gertrude for 11 years now and I just really love her.  I almost let my ex take her in the divorce, but then had another moment of clarity, and am so glad I kept her.  Bummer about the RTR.  It was a pretty big decision to make the trip this winter, but am getting pretty excited about it.

mert6706 said:
 I camped all over the Olympic Peninsula in a tent by myself. According to disapproving relatives/friends, I was foolish and should have been killed many times over by animals, two-legged beasts, the weather, an accident, health problems, etc.  The only things I encountered were kind and helpful people. Fantastic campgrounds and sites there. Had to leave due to family's needs, but didn't really want to. I'm still stuck in a "typical" existence but hope to go full-timing soon. I'm tentatively planning to go to RTR and hope to meet you and your Mom. She and I are in the same age bracket.

Thanks mert6706.  I do love the Olympic Peninsula and make a trip around it every year with mom.  I used to do a lot of backpacking in the Olympics.  When I was in my 20's I wanted to go backpacking by myself, but my husband and dad both had such a fit about it, I'd always find a girlfriend to go along with me.  
Looking forward to seeing you at the RTR!

Hi Tammy, I have enjoyed reading your posts.

I love what you've done to your RV. The color scheme is beautiful and really gives your motorhome a warm comfy feel.

The Pacific Northwest is lovely. I grew up there, mainly in Portland. My dad adored camping above all things so we camped all over the area. Recently I got to spend some time in Port Townsend and it really brought back memories. Can't wait to go back to the Olympic Peninsula.

I hope I get a chance to meet you and your mom (she sounds like she's a hoot) at the RTR. Happy travels!

What a great message and I feel a truth for us all..Donnie released the RV world o me back in 2005 ..he was Trucker.. broke all the rules.. and showed me a new perspective on life with no boundaries..it was an instant connection and intense love that showed me the best and worst of myself....such amazing time  that had to quick an end date..he also died quite suddenly and at 52.. Death truly changes life's perspective..we never had regrets..
I found Gypsy on Craigslist a few years ago and intended to do just what you are doing..she was a Tioga ..Half made in Canada the other in the states..she was my home and escape from the " boundaries" created by the system. Unfortunately my plans to fix her up require  more mechanical and electrical abilities which I just don't have ..so I now have Gina.. who is a Ford 1500 Cargo Van..I'm in the process of removing windows poorly installed ( anyone in or near Tarpons Springs Florida with any experience ... would be appreciated!!)
Like you cash flow ..little bit at a. Time.. am planning to have  solar as well.. one day a hightop Dodge for the next home.Exciting times and the fact we are free to see how free we truly are!!
Spark...the ShiftChick  :D

TheViewFromMyPlace said:
"Eleven years ago I bought Gertrude, a 1995 21 foot Jamboree Searcher Class C on a Ford E350.....purple " 
Gertrude is looking so good in purple...expect many visitors wanting to check out Gertrude at RTR. Hope she doesn't mind.

"My mom is 87 and still full of piss and vinegar."
That's always great to hear !

"See you at the RTR!"
A BIG shout out to your #1 son for helping you, Tammy.