• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Do you need a place to semi-boondock? NW Pima County AZ ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactus wren

Reaction score
Hello to everyone.  

I'm a such a recent member that the paint's barely dry.  You can see my intro under the newcomer's section. I'm looking for a few van or car dwellers to stay on my 1.5+ acres.  It's semi-stealth (no RVs/motorhomes), van or car dwellers only.

Basic details on CL ad here, please have a look before asking questions, will discuss my situation in more detail in the miscellaneous forum:   [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]https://tucson.craigslist.org/prk/d/marana-are-you-van-dweller-looking-for/7180613078.html  [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Not selling anything, not looking for $$, so I ask your kind indulgence, h[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ope [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]this post flies, know I'm new.  Was, [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]going to delay the ask, but unfortunately, had one scary troll response on CL already.  The others were decent, considerate people, but they wanted something more developed.  What is in the ad is what's available.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I know there is someone out there who is a good fit ,and this can be a great, mutually beneficial [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] experience. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Will post later in the vandwelling topics that don't fit in other forums.  [size=small][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thank you all so very much. Look forward to getting to know you.[/font][/font][/size]

You might check out Hipcamp.com. It's paid camping for private sites, but you can set the price as low as you want if you're not looking to make money. As far as can tell the people over there seem generally rad.

I personally wouldn't be the slightest bit stealth, so not interested myself, but best of luck.

Arizona is one of the very best states for BLM boondocking, including in that area, so I'm not sure how much the demand will be, but maybe there will be someone that's tired of those spots, not comfortable with it yet, etc. that may be interested.

Barleyguy, thanks for the feedback and advice. 

What's sad is that I know there are people living in their vehicles that aren't quite set up for the long term yet, or are trying to find work, and plan to live in their vehicle until they accumulate a little more of a financial cushion. 

I guess I'm at a loss as to how to find someone for what could be a mutually beneficial relationship for someone who's not looking to be a nomad but can't afford to rent a place.

It's stealth only insofar as in no zoning for living in an rv on this property.  No law against someone living here in a van.  I just wouldn't advertise that someone was living in it, that's all.

It's also still very hot.  Maybe I need to rethink the access to electricity. Don't want to overload the circuit.  Small evap cooler would be OK.

I live very close to Ironwood National Forest.  I wouldn't recommend anyone to camp out there alone, which is really, really sad...but the warning signs are posted for a legitimate reason.

Anyway, nice touching base, and thanks again.  Also think I'll contact HOWA and see if they know of someone who this would work well for.  There's a major VA medical center that's less than 40 miles away, plus a closer satellite.

Take care, happy travels!

Cactus Wren I used to dream of living out there in the late 1960’s while I pulled shifts in the Titan II missile silo which was demolished. Really pretty desert hills out that way and deserted mines.

Hi Mr. Noodly, nope, I be near the Silverbell side of things. Are you currently in AZ?

bullfrog said:
Cactus Wren I used to dream of living out there in the late 1960’s while I pulled shifts in the Titan II missile silo which was demolished. Really pretty desert hills out that way and deserted mines.
Hi Bullfrog, thanks for responding.  

Sounds like you were stationed around Missile Base Rd?   I'm just outside of Tucson in Pima County, w of I-10.  I"ve been in the Tucson area since  '77.  Worked next door to a missile maintenance hangar back then.  Are you thinking of returning to this area?  It's changed immensely.

Me?  I haven't hammered out a post with particulars yet.  Barleyguy's post helped me realize that I need to do this so what I have in mind is clear.  I wish I could say that I live in the hills.  Have mountain views, though, and roadrunners, rabbits, ravens, hawks, ground squirrels, a huge resident king snake I've only seen 3 times in 30 years. Lots of lizards, including desert iguana.  Cactus wren, dozens of dove, Gila woodpeckers, hummingbirds, cardinals... Saw one young rattler when I tried growing a patch of oats for cats.  Took a ton of water and attracted a Sonoran shovel nosed snake and the rattlesnake, so I grew the oats in a cement mixing tub instead, grew great oats, no more snakes.   

Nice to meet you, thanks for responding.

My son now lives in Marana(he is west of the mountain pass at the end of Silverbell)and we have a boondocking lot at Caballo Loco down Hwy 286 towards Sesabee about 45 minutes away via Sandario road where we usually go for the winter. We looked out your way at property but it was pretty expensive for us. We thought of putting up a building and pulling our RV inside, sort of a garage with utilities, again way to expensive for us. Nice to hear from people in the area.

Good idea not to charge rent, because as soon as you do the 'tenant' has 'rights' on your property.

You want them to understand they are 'temporary' guests. Probably seasonal. Of course they can donate a little cash or time/labor for electricity and water if that is acceptable to both parties.

You might want to list your place on boondockerswelcome.com and kinda test the concept. 

Good luck with it!

Thanks for the referral. Will check it out. Continued chaos w/Craigslist. Seems like there are a bunch of juvenile delinquents w/nothing better to do than to antagonize people who post there. Sad.

bullfrog said:
My son now lives in Marana(he is west of the mountain pass at the end of Silverbell)and we have a boondocking lot at Caballo Loco down Hwy 286 towards Sesabee about 45 minutes away via Sandario road where we usually go for the winter. We looked out your way at property but it was pretty expensive for us. We thought of putting up a building and pulling our RV inside, sort of a garage with utilities, again way to expensive for us. Nice to hear from people in the area.
Bullfrog, thank you again for responding.  I'm north of Ajo/Sandario, but E of Silverbells and W of I-10.  You son sounds like maybe he lives near  Ragged Top? If you know you'll be out this way, you & the missus can give me a holler if you like!

Yeah that's why I suggested boondockerswelcome....its free to sign up as a host.

It's really set up for self-contained RV guests but you can enter your preference or allowance for vans and such in the description. Also the limit that someone can request thru the website is 5 days but that does not mean you have to kick them out in 5 days...that is up to you and the guest.

You have granular control of dates and times available, at your discretion. You can block out entire weeks or months if you want. So you could accept say, 3 guests, for 3 months, and block out those three months for new requests....again, up to you.

You could sign up and see if you get any requests...its costs nothing, and then continue to offer your location on other websites as you see fit. You can of course cancel your membership and remove your listing any time you want. 

Good luck!

Thanks for the offer. My son’s place is off Twin Peaks road west of Silverbell but before Sandario. We sometimes sneak the truck camper out front of his house when we babysit so short term parking is possible.

cactus wren said:
Hi Mr. Noodly, nope, I be near the Silverbell side of things.  Are you currently in AZ?

Ah, Silverbell. I spent a few weeks in the Ironwood Forest this past winter. Being a bit of a geography nerd with a pedantic streak, I'd say that's north central Pima County since the county goes all the way to Ajo, Why and Organ Pipe. I guess the Tohono O'Odham Nation acts as sort of a mental barrier for people in the Tucson metro area. :)

No, I'm not currently in AZ.