Do you LOVE coffee?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mert6706 said:
I don't know what to call it, and have never seen another, but I have a little device with a ring that sits on the lip of the cup with a little cloth mesh bag that hangs down inside. 

I too love Folgers Black Silk when I can't afford to buy thepremium  beans and grind my own. 

That sounds like the pour over Mert, that's my backup choice, pretty simple.  I'll try that Folgers Black Silk, I like many types of coffee.  Thanks!

Queen said:
I worship at the altar of coffee

Amen to that Queen!

I'm glad this is a thread, because coffee is one of the things I can't live without*, and I was wondering how everyone was making it on the road. About a year ago I found myself drinking nothing but the Starbucks bagged coffee to go, but it was purely out of necessity. When my Ex and I split, I found tons of gift cards we had gotten around the holidays and never used. They used to also give out lunch gift cards at my job and being a vegetarian that hates fast food I would just take the Starbucks card and throw it in my desk drawer. I finally added it all up one day and I had close to $300.00 in credit. So, when things got rough and money was tight, I was eating rice & beans everyday but I also had a nice pot of good dark roast in the morning so it was all good.  These days I've been trying different kinds, but dark roast with a little brown sugar is my jam.

* Now if anyone has suggestions on how to make pizza on the road, please let me know and I'll be all set.

mert6706 said:
Now that's what I call coffee, Queen!!

I really like farmers brothers but it's not sold in stores only restaurants. You have to talk a restaurant that has it into selling you a bag of it. Also means you have to grind it as well.

Bill

Boyntonstu said:
How do you brew it?  I use pour over.

If it is great coffee, I drink it black.

Less than great, I have to doctor it up with lightener and with sweetener.

Any recommendations?

We also use the cone pour over method and the best coffee we've found is Melitta because it's a fine grind that gives you a really rich cup of coffee - no burnt taste.  Aldi also sells a German brand of ground coffee that tastes good and it's also very finely ground.  Coffees like Maxwell House, Folgers, etc. are too coarsely ground to yield a decent pour-over cup.

Folgers Classic Roast for me with a little hazelnut creamer. Black & Decker drip maker at home, stainless steel camp percolator on the Coleman gas stove in the wild. I like it and everyone sells it.

I love Mc Donald's coffee lol!
Home brew I pick up organic beans from Sprouts (farmers Market) to grind.
I do really like the really cheap brand Café Bustalo however, its like some of the cheapest coffee you can get.

Any coffee a friend offers me is usually the best though.

Love the smell of the beans roasting and the coffee brewing...but it can't pass my lips. Combine that smell with bacon frying and that is the best smell in the world to wake up to. Of course being a vegetarian, I don't consume bacon either!
When I stay at a motel, I will brew up coffee in the morning just because it smells good. :)

duckwonder said:
Hi All.  If anyone is interested I'm doing some coffee method testing, yes, that's my kind of testing!  This test assumes not much solar.

So far, the Mr. Coffee 4-cup electric - 6 min to brew.  No need to boil water.  Little to clean up.  Need the generator.
Pour over - 6 min to brew with babysitting, after near-boil water.  Little to clean up, and don't need the generator.
French Press - longest brew/steep time, more water than I would like to clean up.  Might get grounds in cup.  Don't need the generator.
Percolator - 8 min to brew after near-boil water.  More water than I would like to clean up.  Don't need the generator.
Instant - Just the nearly boiled water.  No clean-up.  Takes up less space in the van.  Does not taste as good.

Any other ideas I'm missing?

I'm experimenting with cold brew.  Would just require hot water and then add the the premade elixer of life to the hot water to taste.  Had a french press, hated the clean up.  I'd rather have one clean up, once a week.  Still yummy.

I'm an instant coffee girl, I like my moccona and nescafe instant coffee granules, black no sugar no milk.

I love all coffee, it has to be strong though. For home brewing, I like Yuban the best, but it is pricey. We have a Vietnamese coffee maker contraption for camping coffee. Similar to a French press but still pour over.

I get decaf beans from monks coffee....grind the beans for each cup and use a French press. Love my coffee and especially French press.

I knew there was a stove top version of the drip coffee maker, I didn't know they had a stand alone version. How cool!

Since I had my Mr Coffee out this morning I made a second pot, mixed in the creamer, sugar and chocolate so that it could be chilled and enjoyed later.

My coffee rig:

20171223_061839.jpg

My morning routine:

Always use fresh roasted whole beans.

Ground fresh daily.

Water just below boiling.

Wet the grounds in a pour over for 30-45 seconds.

Enjoy the aroma and dopamine hit.

Slowly pour over to taste.

Enjoy your little slice of heaven........

Rinse and repeat if necessary.

Attachments

• 20171223_061839.jpg
    20171223_061839.jpg
    594 KB · Views: 15