Do you guys with high top vans have problems parking inside parking structures?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magentawave

Reaction score
Hey I was just wondering if those of you with hightop vans have problems parking inside parking structures?

The short answer is YES!&nbsp; Can't even use the drive through pick up service at the local supermarket where I am at present.&nbsp; It has a 7' clearance.<br /><br />The other thing I never considered is that it will not go through a drive through carwash.&nbsp; I am neither tall enough nor strong enough to use those do-it-yourself wand contraptions.&nbsp; <br /><br />Neither am I able to reach my windscreen to clean that.&nbsp; Have always been able to get someone to clean it for me, when I fill up.&nbsp;&nbsp; The advantages of being a lol.&nbsp;&nbsp; :)<br /><br />Lifey

Well thats a problem so I think I'll stick with a regular top and plan my layout so I'll be doing everything sitting down. <br /><br />Those fiberglass hightops must produce a lot of condensation, right? How are people insulating those things with all their curves?

Furthermore.....<br /><br />I have just discovered that on some toll roads (e.g. NY Thruway), vehicles over 7' in height, pay double the tolls.<br /><br />Go figure!<br /><br />Lifey

<p>I don't have a high top but have a ladder rack and solar panel on the top.<br /><br />My experience is that some parking ramps are even too low for a standard height cargo van with&nbsp;just a&nbsp;vent&nbsp;on the roof.&nbsp; I scraped the roof vent at a hospital parking ramp one time.&nbsp; <br /><br />Now with the ladder rack and solar panel, I'm not able&nbsp;to park in most ramps.&nbsp; I don't park in or drive through&nbsp;anything that doesn't have at least an eight&nbsp;foot clearance.<br /><br />Fortunately, even with a roof rack, even I can get through the fast food drive up windows but keep a wary eye on upcoming overhangs.<br /><br />I do have to wash the van&nbsp;roof manually, but by standing in the doorways, it is possible with the wand.&nbsp; If would be more&nbsp;difficult for a shorter person or perhaps for a lady.<br /><br />If you go with a standard height van, don't put anything higher than a roof vent (such as Fan-tastic type) on top and you should be okay in many&nbsp;parking ramps.&nbsp; There are still some that might cause you trouble.<br /><br />V.T.</p>