Do you ever feel like you'e "seen it all?"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bster13

Reaction score
To me, a great motivator to being full time is to see lots of new places and always have new experiences.  I wonder for those of you who have been on the road awhile, do you ever feel like you seen everything and get a little bored?

Taking a leap of faith and leaving a good paying job, friends/family, and venturing into the unknown is a pretty big risk, but most of my reason for doing it is because I'm stuck in Groundhog's Day doing the same thing, seeing the same people, visiting the same places over and over again.  I want "new and exciting" (ok, "new and relaxing is good too.") and I worry about getting bored.

I liken it to the Internet... we all know we'll never see everything there is to see on the Internet, but I'm sure we've all surfed the web for extended periods where you suddenly feel like you've reached the end of the Internet and there is nothing more to see/read. :p

It's also kind of like your hometown's restaurants.  Sure it takes awhile to sample all of them, but eventually you eaten at all of them, and you have your favorites.  Sure there may be a new restaurant or two over time, but most likely you visit what you're used to over time and just cycle through.

So after you had your first year or two running around the country like a mad man/women seeing every site, do you find yourself in a repetitive cycle?

Thanks.

I just said this am to tjaybird I had thought I had seen it all and nope surprise again! Seriously though no always new as long as I keep going to different cultures and climate. It constantly amazes me how diffently things are, especially cultural norms, which fascinate me, if I get stuck somewhere, like now I read a travel book, learning about back packing now and lions and tigers and bears!

Obsessing about anything probably leads to boredom, eventually. The only guarantee about seeing new places is that it tends to be less boring than staying in one place, doing the same things, seeing the same sights. When you've been doing THAT for 40 years, anything would be an improvement. IMO.

Yes, I just logged back on to add when I was trying to stealth it around my hometown for a few months recently, that got real old, real fast!

Bster13 said:
To me, a great motivator to being full time is to see lots of new places and always have new experiences.  I wonder for those of you who have been on the road awhile, do you ever feel like you seen everything and get a little bored?

Are you kidding me...sorry but the words just flew out of my fingers... :D

I could live to be a 150 and still not see everything that there is to see. I don't even write out a bucket list because it would be too long to be practical.

If anyone is running out of things to see, you're not looking hard enough.

I'm continually amazed that even after more than 20 years on the road we still haven't seen or experienced it all. Of course there is nothing like seeing some things such as the ocean, the mountains in the west, the vastness of the desert, or the rain forests in the PNW for the first time but each time we return there's always something different.

We are also fascinated, like Yogidog, by the cultural norms in different parts of the country. We like visiting museums and learning a bit of the history wherever we go. Everyone and every place has their own story. Sometimes they don't match but a bit of digging usually yields more information - kind of like history detectives. ;-D

"Bored" has more to do with your state of mind that your surroundings. I think you can get bored just going to places to see them, like on a bucket list, "see this, see that...." but "experiencing them is not "seeing" them. Also, it isn't just about the places for me, but the people. I have moved around and RV'd most of my life now, and I have come across so many wonderful and interesting people, all with stories to share. So many wonderful people and places to experience out in the world.

So, if you are just "seeing" and not "interacting", I could see a problem.

I love photography so if I were to get to saw it all once, I'd want to come back when the light was different or a different season, etc. That way even though the attraction is the same, everything around it changes. Different times also bring different birds, bugs and floral to shoot so it's hard to get bored.

For 25 years we have had a policy of not using the same boondocking spot twice and we haven't scratched the surface of what's available. It's taken us six years to use the spots we want in one area of one rangers district in one of the National forest here. I think I could do it forever and not run out of spots just in Colorado.

Out there, the possibilities are endless. Places to see, things to photograph and the food. I love to try foods from different areas and going for a burger when local taste can be had should be a crime. Come to think of it, I could spend a few years doing a food tour. I would be in heaven.

jimindenver said:
For 25 years we have had a policy of not using the same boondocking spot twice and we haven't scratched the surface of what's available.

Holy crap.  To a guy who has spent limited time outside the Northeast, this part of your reply is both uplifting and puzzling.  Can you describe your "Style" of fulltiming?  Are you parked for 14 days in one spot, then move 25 miles to the next, then back to the original spot, but one camping spot over?  Are you in a Class A with tons of solar out in the wilderness or in a Cargo Van hitting up every Walmart &  Cracker Barrel in the country?  How the heck....   :huh:  :)

Bster13 said:
Holy crap.  To a guy who has spent limited time outside the Northeast, this part of your reply is both uplifting and puzzling.  Can you describe your "Style" of fulltiming?  Are you parked for 14 days in one spot, then move 25 miles to the next, then back to the original spot, but one camping spot over?  Are you in a Class A with tons of solar out in the wilderness or in a Cargo Van hitting up every Walmart &  Cracker Barrel in the country?  How the heck....   :huh:  :)
I don't fulltime yet, that's coming up here soon though. We make a dozen or so trips a year for up to two weeks at a time. Even if we do decide to stay we have to move anyways so it wont be much different when I do hit the road. Come to think of it, even had I been fulltiming, I couldn't have hit all the spots availible, there are just too many I want to use. :)

Right now I have a 25 ft trailer and use a 750w system that will be mounted and a 235w portable. They keep a 675 Ah bank charged that gives us all the comforts of home including A/C. There are no Crackle barrels where we go but 4X4 low is a good thing.

The landscape is constantly changing due to the elements. And there will be differnt people, no matter how many times you visit a place that will change your experience.

No. I never tire of visiting some places. Others? Once was enough.

We aren't always on the move. Sometimes we'll find a good camp and kick back a few weeks. We enjoy going new places and meeting people but are also happy camped alone or near others in the tribe.

I can't imagine feeling I have seen it all :)

I can't even imagine seeing everything. how is that even possible? I stay in the west and haven't even scratched the surface. I do have a long list of places to go, I will get there one day. I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. highdesertranger

My Rules....
#1 Impossible to see everything , just impossible !!!!!!
#2 If you have a huge list of places you want to see ..
Don't try to cram them all in one trip like someone on vacation.
Slowly drink them in one at a time.
#3 If you feel like you've seen it all ....just slow down , you'll see things you missed going so fast !
#4 Already mentioned , they all change with the seasons or even time of day...