Do truck bed covers improve gas mileage?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonhash

Reaction score
I am getting myself bored with my living style. It is my dream to buy an RV. But, I have a unused truck at my garage and working for repairing to ensure my first camping with that. Some one suggesting myself to buy a truck bed cover, which has so many benefits. I got impressed when he suggested me about improved gas mileage. Do you guys have any idea about it? Please share your ideas...

Short answer: it depends. A study done a few years back indicated that a short spoiler angled down a bit from the back of the cab, and a bed cover over the rear third of the bed would provide the best aero effect, short of using a full aero shell. A simple bedcover provided differing results, which were within the margins that could be explained by driver skill/habits.
But... even at 5%, that's a measurable improvement just for the tonneau cover.

Attachments

• PickupAero1.jpeg
    PickupAero1.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 19
If you plan to camp out of that truck, it might make more sense, and possibly save gas too, to buy a topper shell for it.

I have a canopy based system and love it. The side opening awning windows are a big plus for access. It's an older aluminum style that I painted with tan bed liner.

This style of truck camper looks promising & could get more MPG than some of the taller ones

rm.w/aview said:
This style of truck camper looks promising & could get more MPG than some of the taller ones

I just put a hard-style tonneau cover on my 2016 Silverado 1500, for reasons that had nothing to do with MPG. I'd heard a lot on both sides of the argument about improved economy, however, so out of curiosity I paid attention. The result? In my case no detectable difference. I can easily see how the results might be different for different make/models, etc.

I had a 2000 Sonoma, with the somewhat underpowered 2.2 i4.
On trips to NM from AL I was able to get about 28 mpg round trip.
After buying a cab-height camper shell, I made the same trip a couple more times, getting.... 28 mpg.

This wasn't done scientifically, but I don't usually drive scientifically.

Thanks for the attachment @velojym and all of you left your suggestions. I am not going to buy one only for reviewing the facts....

I've had tonnou covers on both a Nissan Titan and a Toyota Tundra, my experience is no noticeable our measurable difference. If anything I'd guess the cover on my 6'5 box hurts a bit ass at highway speeds air gets under it and it sorta has done flop from the air bouncing around trying to get through there. Maybe not measurable but has a bit of a parachute affect.

Latest posts