Do I really need fuses for my set-up?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamsack

Reaction score
Hi all,<br>This is probably an uneducated question, but won't my solar charge controller have built-in protection that will prevent any excessive current from frying the system?&nbsp; If that is the case, do I really need to install inline fuses, or is doing this only an extra measure of protection in case the controller fails.<br><br>

<P>If you dont want to use inline fuses (between the battery and the controller on the +), then you will want to ensure that you have the negative battery conductor adequately&nbsp;grounded.&nbsp;</P>

I guess my thought is why not, its cheap and easy to install. I was under the impression it was to protect the controller from a surge coming from the battery, not the other way around, but I could be wrong. Bob<br>

<font face="Arial">My son is an electrical engineering technie. I asked him to check out my&nbsp;installation&nbsp;and he looked at the&nbsp;schismatic. Something about diodes. Something about them acting as switches. &nbsp;Can't burn out anything. Only&nbsp;allows&nbsp;&nbsp;the amps and volts it's rated for. I actually called the manufacturer before my son looked at it. He said the same thing. I have 2 power boxes with 12 and 110 outlets. They both have fuses built in the box. These can also be charged from the cigarette lighter when I'm driving. No complex wiring system.</font><div><font face="Arial"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial"><br></font></div>

<P>Diodes are like backflow water valves, they let&nbsp;the the current only go one way. These are important on solar panels where the current can come&nbsp;out from the battery at night.</P>