DIY Truck Camper For short bed Tacoma

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool project, thanks for the update!

As I recall you used bed-liner directly on the plywood at first? And it cracked? They don't make ply like they used to, unfortunately...

I built one in the 90s that was 2.7mm luan ply sandwich, with just "epoxy paint" coating it. Even though that ply was cheap it was pretty decent quality back then. That didn't work either, but because the paint wasn't as waterproof as I thought. Really a stupid move as I should have researched that better, but I was in a hurry. I later coated it with Snow Roof, which sealed it for years.

I think epoxy and a layer of fiberglass on the outside is the best bet for plywood. I later built one like that and it was solid as a rock and waterproof.

Cool project, thanks for the update!

As I recall you used bed-liner directly on the plywood at first? And it cracked? They don't make ply like they used to, unfortunately...

I built one in the 90s that was 2.7mm luan ply sandwich, with just "epoxy paint" coating it. Even though that ply was cheap it was pretty decent quality back then. That didn't work either, but because the paint wasn't as waterproof as I thought. Really a stupid move as I should have researched that better, but I was in a hurry. I later coated it with Snow Roof, which sealed it for years.

I think epoxy and a layer of fiberglass on the outside is the best bet for plywood. I later built one like that and it was solid as a rock and waterproof.
Ya Raptor bed liner cracked badly. I think this liquid rubber product is going to work well (meaning last and not crack)....wish I had known this before wasting the time and money on Raptor. Hopefully my lesson will teach others what not to do :)

I used ALS, Advanced Liner System, on my truck/canopy job. The only issues in use were where I failed in the prep - however the product was extremely difficult to work with, setting up very quickly even with reduced catalyst in cool temps. I can't imagine using a spray gun to apply it.

I've got another project, and am looking for an easy to apply product. As it won't see the wear of bedliner, I'm thinking there might be a cheaper product available that would be durable enough.

The exterior water based acrylic enamel house paint has an almost rubberized characteristic property to it. Getting it to stick to the Tightbond Ii glue impregnated canvas coating on the camper was no problem but even with primer I have had problems getting anything to stick to new processed bare wood. Prepping is definitely required and the key to making a camper water resistant but even then flat surfaces that allow water to sit will eventually cause you problems. My flat roof became a wedge which actually helped most to solve my problems as water immediately ran off.

I used ALS, Advanced Liner System, on my truck/canopy job. The only issues in use were where I failed in the prep - however the product was extremely difficult to work with, setting up very quickly even with reduced catalyst in cool temps. I can't imagine using a spray gun to apply it.

I've got another project, and am looking for an easy to apply product. As it won't see the wear of bedliner, I'm thinking there might be a cheaper product available that would be durable enough.
I would check out the liquid rubber stuff: https://amzn.to/3Lap4kq (it comes in a gallon size for testing). I would apply directly to untreated wood so it soaks in a bit which will help durability.

I've used Herculiner and Raptor Liner. The raptor is hard and not so flexible but super scratch-resistant (sandpaper has a tough time). Herculiner is soft and more rubbery but contains bits of rubber for grip. I used Herculiner for a wet shower in a tiny house and it was great....although a bit rough if you bumped it while showering.

The liquid rubber is more flexible and stretchy than the Herculiner but probably not as durable. The application is much better. Its very much like a thick latex paint. Herculiner and Raptor have bad odors that take days to dissipate.

If you are coating plywood, you have to worry about cracking of the wood and the crack propagating the the outside. If you use quality marine ply that's less of a concern. Epoxy and fiberglass over ply is the best, but you need to paint over that as well.

Looking good! You really have a nice and comfortable looking space there. And I like the white coating better than the black.

I like your camper lifting setup. It's crazy how much jacks cost. I'll be mounting my camper onto a Tundra (bolted to the frame), and I was planning to wrangle a couple guys to help lift a side at a time, and just support it on concrete blocks and beams... but I finally broke down and bought some Brophy cable jacks. The jankiest, cheapest jacks that are made, and they were $500. I also am in the process of modifying them because my flatbed style camper is narrower than the tires (80" vs 83"), and jacks aren't made to accommodate that.

The first time will be relatively easy since I don't have to line up the bolt holes; rather I'll be glueing and screwing the frame interface part that is already mounted to the truck (it's a pivoting design) to the bottom of the camper. Well, that's a different sort of challenge. If I ever need to put it back on again I'll need to line up 8 bolt holes at once! That will be some tedious maneuvering for sure.