Toyota Tacoma Short Bed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Day Dreamer

Reaction score
I'm in the planning stage now. Right now I drive a nice 2011 Tacoma DCSB with a towing package. It only has 65k miles on it and is paid off. I have more confidence in the reliability if this truck than anything else on the road. I also want to go off the beaten path at times to hike, fish, etc. 

I want to outfit for camping, obviously. This is the one time I have ever thought I'm lucky to be short. LOL. My plan (so far) is to buy a mid high topper and build a sleep platform in there. I have a smallish dome tent as well. I was also thinking I could take a tarp and make an awning off the back when needed (rain, etc.) or buy a side awning to roof mount. 

I looked into truck campers but options are limited for short beds and I don't know if I want to deal with the weight, etc. 

Thoughts and suggestions?

Last year I came across a young mountain biker camped in an awesome overlook. He had setup the back of his Taco and cap with a platform bed, storage underneath, and was traveling around in it.
Limited space of course but doable.
Lots on YouTube or Google, of truck camper cap setups. Quick and easy to setup.

Here's an example of a self built cap that actually opens for full standing height.
https://gearjunkie.com/custom-pop-up-camper-build

Google pop top camper and you'll find many that fit the Taco. Then there are the roof top tents as well.

Here's another self built from foam.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=64361#p1145004

Couple ideas for you, there are many more online, depending on what you want to do.

Roof top tent options might be worth considering!

SD

Do not give up that truck for anything !!! --Even if I beg

If you have the means and you want to do bigtime camping, I'd look at a new Casita or Scamp. Reason I say new as they want wild stupid prices for used ones even 20 years old and tired. Assuming the truck can safely pull these small RVs.
Look up RVsueandcrew and her adventures with her Casita for 7 years.

I have also seen some doable sleeping in truck shells. Try it. You dont have to go to the effort of building a bed. Just plywood on the bed to even out the truck bed bumps and a Military Surplus, REI or Thermarest sleeping pad, sleeping bag, etc and you are ready.
As mentioned I would not do a truck camper.
Checkout the youtube cheaprvliving video Essentials List. That will get you thinking

Late last year I was camped at a small local park and this guy came rolling in with a Toyota Tacoma with a cool pop-up tent.

Storage in the bed area, and with the overhead tent deployed, he climbed in thru the back and up into the sleeping area. The tent overhead makes a nice place to sit underneath it in some shade or out of the rain. Plus the tailgate became his 'kitchen' area.

IMG_20181018_094304.jpgIMG_20181018_092855.jpgIMG_20181018_090649.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181018_094304.jpg
    IMG_20181018_094304.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20181018_092855.jpg
    IMG_20181018_092855.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20181018_090649.jpg
    IMG_20181018_090649.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 29
Those look cool but I would only use one in the wilderness. It would seem odd anywhere else (like a Walmart parking lot).

Firtree said:

If you have the means and you want to do bigtime camping, I'd look at a new Casita or Scamp. Reason I say new as they want wild stupid prices for used ones even 20 years old and tired. Assuming the truck can safely pull these small RVs.

I have also seen some doable sleeping in truck shells. Try it. You dont have to go to the effort of building a bed. Just plywood on the bed to even out the truck bed bumps and a Military Surplus, REI or Thermarest sleeping pad, sleeping bag, etc and you are ready.
Checkout the youtube cheaprvliving video Essentials List. That will get you thinking

My original thinking was to be "stealthy". Maybe I've been reading too much about "stealth tactics". 

I do have concerns about getting through gnarly terrain though. 

You got me thinking why would I need to hide? I can just buy a trailer and go on a perpetual vacation. Thinking of one's self as "retired" puts you in a whole different mindset. I will just "retire" early!! 

I will buy a cap/topper/shell for my truck anyway so I can start by getting that now while I save up some money to purchase a TT right before it's GO time. 

Casita and Scamp are hard to find used around here but I like the Forrest River R-Pod.

I bought a used cap/topper this weekend. Check it out.

20190527_142034_7_bestshot.jpg

Attachments

• 20190527_142034_7_bestshot.jpg
    20190527_142034_7_bestshot.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
congrats. very nice, the color is even close to matching. most of the time when someone buys a used one the color is the exact opposite what it should be. highdesertranger

Looks good, kind've a charcoal/titanium combination...

You mentioned earlier in the thread that you are short, so that should work out ok for you....you still have a lot of room for supplies in the cab's rear seat, and if you carry a big tent or easy-up canopy, you will have plenty of room.

Thanks!! The photo in the CL ad made it look more silver so I knew it was a mismatch but found out its pyrite mica color when I got there. I was committed either way and drove 1.5 hours each way to buy it because used shells for short beds don't come up often and when they do they go quick especially a good deal. The guy had 20+ calls that day but I showed up first. Crazy!!

Anyway still not sure about it but it's growing on me. Doesn't let me forget I have a truck. ;-)

Day Dreamer said:
I'm in the planning stage now. Right now I drive a nice 2011 Tacoma DCSB with a towing package. It only has 65k miles on it and is paid off. I have more confidence in the reliability if this truck than anything else on the road. I also want to go off the beaten path at times to hike, fish, etc. 

I want to outfit for camping, obviously. This is the one time I have ever thought I'm lucky to be short. LOL. My plan (so far) is to buy a mid high topper and build a sleep platform in there. I have a smallish dome tent as well. I was also thinking I could take a tarp and make an awning off the back when needed (rain, etc.) or buy a side awning to roof mount. 

I looked into truck campers but options are limited for short beds and I don't know if I want to deal with the weight, etc. 

Thoughts and suggestions?
Sure. Watch some of Little House on the Road's videos. Yeah, yeah, I know a lot of people think he is goofy and negative. But some of his technical videos about how he is set up in his home made truck camper and his equipment are pretty good.

tx2sturgis said:
Looks good, kind've a charcoal/titanium combination...

You mentioned earlier in the thread that you are short, so that should work out ok for you....you still have a lot of room for supplies in the cab's rear seat, and if you carry a big tent or easy-up canopy, you will have plenty of room.

I plan on adding a roof rack to the cap with an awning attached on one side (with removable walls) and a pvc pipe type shower on the other.

BTW, if that topper has the single-handle opening latch, and if you want to be able to 'lock' the cap's lift door while you are inside, you can get one of those really small 'vise-grip' pliers and then use it to lock the moving rod against the slide bracket it passes thru.

Firtree said:

Strongly agree. That is nothing mileage on a good Toyota truck.

Casitas are wonderful by virtually all accounts.  If you can hack dealing with a trailer, I think you're on your way.  Even if you have to get a "make-do" trailer for as long as it takes to get your ideal trailer. But geez, you've got a wonderful truck from what it sounds like.  And that's actually more important than a trailer.  Heck, you could live in a tent.  But a good truck, well-maintained, and if bad luck avoids you reasonably, you will have something to attach it to eventually.  And worse comes to worse, you still have that darn good truck!

Dingfelder said:
Strongly agree. That is nothing mileage on a good Toyota truck.

Casitas are wonderful by virtually all accounts.  If you can hack dealing with a trailer, I think you're on your way.  Even if you have to get a "make-do" trailer for as long as it takes to get your ideal trailer. But geez, you've got a wonderful truck from what it sounds like.  And that's actually more important than a trailer.  Heck, you could live in a tent.  But a good truck, well-maintained, and if bad luck avoids you reasonably, you will have something to attach it to eventually.  And worse comes to worse, you still have that darn good truck!

Yea it's really the best vehicle I have ever owned. And it's paid off.

I'm going to set this up for camping out of the back for now while I save up for a travel trailer and prep for full timing in the future.

tx2sturgis said:
BTW, if that topper has the single-handle opening latch, and if you want to be able to 'lock' the cap's lift door while you are inside, you can get one of those really small 'vise-grip' pliers and then use it to lock the moving rod against the slide bracket it passes thru.

It unfortunately has two handles. I'll figure something out.

IMG_20160910_165510.jpg... had this for a while back in 2016 ... oops just saw you said short bed, guess it depends how tall you are , whether it would work for ya ...

Attachments

• IMG_20160910_165510.jpg
    IMG_20160910_165510.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20160910_203837.jpg
    IMG_20160910_203837.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 0ff road -1.jpg
    0ff road -1.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 13