Toyota Tacoma Short Bed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The camper top is the option I'm going with for now. I've got a 07 Tacoma 4x4 with 150k. I've done all the maintenance by the schedule and it is in great shape. Looking for either an A.R.E or Leer, I've built both up on their websites, just need to go to a dealer and get a quote. I've got a list of specific requirements, I'll never find a used one.

For now it will just be camping and going to century rides until I retire at 66 in a year and a half. Will be full time after that so I want to get exactly what I want.

Al

Knox Al said:
... just need to go to a dealer and get a quote.

If you are getting close to pulling the trigger on one, keep in mind the wait time. It can take several weeks if your choice of topper is for a pickup that is one or two models back, and of course, a custom color.

I went with an ARE DCU, commercial style, all aluminum, more like a 'tradesman' or contractor topper for a work truck. I can highly recommend having the 'felt' style fabric liner installed, it really helps with comfort and condensation, at least on the aluminum toppers.

JD GUMBEE said:
Buy a small used travel trailer as a primary camp unit and go 4X4 as you see fit.
Pickup caps are small.
Mini truck caps are REALLY small.

I read the entire build on the foam truck camper and must take a moment to thank you for posting the link - I have been working on buying all my supplies, tools, and so on and my main concern was with using so much plywood - I have been worried that my Dodge Dakota Extend wouldn't hold the weight - now I am convinced to build out of 2"x2"s and foam - while I am currently at a stand-still until next month, I am so anxious to get it started.