DIY Fiberglass Hightop

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraz627

Reaction score
I recently received a quote from Fiberline in regards to a 30" high top, and it was expensive. Has anyone there built there own using fiberglass?
I was thinking of building the top using 1/8 plywood (easier to bend). For framing using laminated strips of 1/8 plywood. Once the wooden top is formed then lay fiberglass mat and finish cloth. Not really sure how to build in a flange or what material. I know that an RV type mastic must be used to seal the top.

Any advice Fiberline quoted a price of 4300 for the bare top alone.

go find one at a junk yard. there is no way you are go to build one cheaper then buying a used one. repairing fiberglass is easy building something from scratch not so much. highdesertranger

I have made quite a few things from fiberglass. What i would do if you cannot find a junkyard hightop is use foam block. Carve the foam with a hot knife to the shape you need. You can get it on the roof and take measurements and get the general shape much easier.

After starting the thread, I did some research on building with Fiberglass, they also sell foam sheets. Then the more I read the more I will either go the junkyard approach, or do with out, its just that I'm getting up there in years and the back is letting me know it.

Ill be honest you need to vacuum mold it too or its easy to get bubbles and delamination issues.

You could modify a fiberglass truck canopy topper. There are some around that don't have windows but for some people an operable screened window up top is desirable. People do give away fiberglass truck canopies on craigslist or sell them for very little money.

Adding a flange is not all that difficult. You can create the flange pieces in sections and then adhere them in place using thickened filler to bond them and also thickened filler to create a smooth radius at the joins.

Filling in the back is not that difficult. You build the flat panel up on top of a piece of "peel ply" which is a non stick sheet of material made for working with fiberglass. You can create it in sections and then join them. The corners would be the tricky pieces to form but they are done over a form.

You will be doing a lot of sanding and then need to paint the exterior with a good quality marine paint.

I would build the desired frame and skin it with aluminum just like an airstream trailer. Rivets and aluminum are far easier to work with.

Are you sure you want to experiment on your future home?

I think for now at least I'll do with out, unless I can find a used one. I've read where people have bought the donor van set them side by side to do the swap. However my facilities don't have the room for two vans. My garage is big enough to build one, and take it to my work and take a day to attach it. So in short until I find a used one ready to install, I'll do with out.