Discouraged.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canine

Reaction score
I don't know, I think my disability may prevent me from living the full time dream, even camping occasionally.  It seems as though things are so complicated. AC, solar, shower, security, bathroom.... Where to camp, where not to camp..... 

I can't use my left arm very much and my right arm is bad as well and heart problems if I use my arm the wrong way or turn my head. So I need all things RV related to be simple and this doesn't seem to be the case at all.

I will be okay with money but money doesn't buy ability or know-how.  :(

Depressing. Just put my house on the market a few hours ago, maybe need to rethink selling. :(

There are some 'camping' activities that can be accomplished by folks with limited mobility and health issues, but there are times when it can be physically demanding and challenging as well.

My advice would be to give it a try for a while and see how you do before you sell your house and get stuck in a lifestyle that may not be able to accommodate your mobility needs. That will give you the opportunity to see how you do with it, and still have a fall-back plan if it doesn't work out. And honestly, vans/RV/mohos are much easier to buy and sell than houses full off 'stuff' are.

Good luck!

I hear you Hopeful, its not all puppies and roses. And start up costs(at least for us) were a lot higher than expected. You mentioned maybe not even being able to camp, why is that? I don't know what its like in your area, but when we were in Iowa, we did find small county campgrounds for $7 primitive and $10 electric. These places seem to be closely held secrets because...well because people enjoy them and don't want them over run with an internet crowd. We heard of other places to camp from word of mouth when we would meet other campers. Our setup currently is still just a basic steel tent. We run a 120ah(ish) deep cycle battery($100) with a 100w renogy mono panel and cheap pwm charge controller. I think we paid about $250 for panel\cc\extra 20ft(40ft total) of cable\tray cable. Then maybe another $50ish for 12v cig adaptors, fuses. Although after I type all that(touch screen), I recall you saying money not the issue. So why not buy something already put together or pay someone to help you setup a more personalized something.

Also, have you camped for extended periods before? 2+ weeks. Its easy to idealize the life and not mention the hardships, because I think for many the hardships are just the cost of living the life. We don't have the budget that some do, so I can only speak of our experiences. Camping 6 months of the year and then S&B for 6 months was different for us than full timing is. We did the 6 months camping of the year for 5 years. Full timing is new to us(me) and abit more intimidating.

Best of luck to you no matter what you decide. If nothing else, take it slow and live vicariously through us here on the forum!

Welcome hopeful to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. I hope you realize in your other thread about the solar generator I was not trying to discourage you. I was just giving you my honest opinion. anyhoo welcome, hang around you can do it. you can get a lot of help here. highdesertranger

There are a lot of us facing physical limitations and medical conditions, Hopeful! I am certainly trying to build my van so that everything will be easy to move, pull, lift, etc., because of physical limitations! Once my solar set up is installed, I don't think I will have anything too physical to deal with, and if I need batteries replaced (they do weigh A LOT!), I'm sure where ever I obtain the new will take out the old... Anyhow, don't give up before you get at least a taste of the lifestyle! For you, I would definitely recommend renting an RV and taking it out for a week or two. That will give you a much better idea of what you can handle!!

If you're talking about occasional camping, you don't have to know a heck of a lot - a place to sleep (tent, car, etc), a folding chair, a cooler, a small stove, a lantern, a bag of groceries and you're on your way. Probably find it all on Craigslist for $100. Check out freecampsites.net for some free or cheap places in your area and give it a whirl. Free campgrounds usually don't have showers (but, who needs a shower every day when you have a bucket), but you'll find all the info on each site on freecampsites.

If my experience is typical (and from everyone I know, it was) closing on the house won't happen for quite a while. Why not be gone when they are showing the house? It's a pain when people are traipsing through while you're living there - you have to clean constantly. So, if I were you, I'd pick 3 spots not far from home and stay 5 days at each. It will give you time to think and you'll probably love it. There is no right way or wrong way - you'll find the logical way for you. If you hate it, you can always pull the house off the market and re-group.

As far as selling the house. Yes, it's a huge step to suddenly lose your home base. I went through with selling mine and I couldn't afford to rent a place now (my skills aren't that plentiful or in demand at 60) so it's a do or die situation now. I'm enjoying myself now, but after only 3 months, I can't say if I made the right move or not. There are times when the fantasy doesn't match the reality, but each person is different.

Good luck and have fun.

Thank you everyone. I"ve gone from absolute sure I wanted a TT, then sure I wanted a C, then sure I wanted a B, then tent, now a custom made cargo trailer. I've watched so many videos and everyone has something good to contribute but it all gets overwhelming. By overwhelming I mean trying to modify so much to fit my disability-that is really tiresome. I'm not complaining because of course there are millions far worse of than I. I'm just so used to being such a go-getter physically and now I need help-and that just pisses me off. I'm thinking that the accident and the subsequent severe stress afterwards has given me some sort of learning disability because I can normally get electrical stuff and I'm not getting it. My career consisted of significant physics so I'm not stupid but for some reason I have a mental block when it comes to Solar.

Besides my daughter, nature and animals make me happy so I"m looking forward to that part of travel. PTSD is something else! I am lost.... trying to find solace and figure out what the hell happened. Hitting the road seems like the right prescription for me for a while at least.

Ian- I've decided I'm gonna do that next month..Maybe for a few days at a time.

My daughter goes off to college in the fall, and I'm still caring for my mom and trying to dump my house so it will still be a while but in that time I hope to learn more and get the best rig I can for my situation.

You have all been so kind and I hope to meet you all some day on the road-God willing.

Hopeful you sound just like me. I was a go getter and now I'm pissed too. I just muddle along and found a Class C that works for me. If u ever need to cuss, whine or just talk send me a PM and I'll get back with you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefull;  Solar is just two wires.  

When you are ready for more, just ask and someone will help you through it.  :D

Take your time

Attachments

• Sunrise RTR.jpg
    Sunrise RTR.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 9
Hopefull

It is certainly something you should go into eyes wide open. Finding out where and where not to camp is a lot easier than learning about solar and such. Then again you can buy a rig ready to go in a way that you never have to lift much more than you do in your house. Like you I have some pretty severe limitations and have done everything so I don't have to push my limits.

Another thing is once you are out there you will find that there a small groups that camp together and help each other out. I thought I'd be out here in the middle of no where all the time yet I spent last week with a group and will meet up with another next week. There are those that insist on helping me by lifting heavy things like my water bottles and I've helped a few along the way too.

So it can be done, just don't take it lightly. Like anything that affects your life to such a degree. it requires thought and learning to make a comprehensive decision.

I might be wrong but with weight and lifting limitations you might want to think about having an all in one unit like a converted van, a Class B or C RV. I say this because setting up, disconnecting and reconnecting any type of trailer, be it a travel trailer or a converted cargo trailer is going to take some manual dexterity that you may not have. Yes, you can buy a luxury trailer that has electric hitch and electric jacks but they're at the high end.

As a woman travelling solo, I chose a van so that I didn't have stabilizer jacks and hitches to deal with. The heaviest things I lift are the 27 lb generator and my solid waste bucket if I don't get around to emptying it until it's damn near full. :rolleyes:

Gallon jugs of water only weigh 8 lbs apiece. My solar panels are only 18 lbs and are easy to swing around.

I didn't plan for a disability but I did plan for a short ass weakling.... :D

I downsized from a class c to a van to simplify everything. Sometimes, I miss some of the class C's amenities. But mostly I appreciate that the van allows me to live a life of freedom. I have mobility issues, too. On bad days/weeks I don't move if I don't have to.

How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time.

Each question, each challenge, one small piece at at time.

Welcome!
I'm disabled physically also...and with PTSD. Just had a major trigger due to overdoing and regular "house life" events compiling all at once. :(

I went with a new large van that I can stand up in. You can find some of my van fixing here: http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/forumindex.php "Mulligan Stew" (Mulligan is my van's name.) I can't do the physical upfitting that most of the guys over there are doing... so I'm going "good enough" for now. If I find I really want to live this way for a long time, then I'll consider more permanent fixes.

I have to have some organization or it's sensory overload. You understand that, I'm sure. And since my disabling accident came from a collapse from above, I have issues with heavy, nontransparent type items overhead. (So you'll see, I went with ventilated shelving and baskets.) Also, due to the head trauma, out of sight out of mind. I've tried putting sticky notes on cabinet doors here at home and that helped a bit...but when my assistant moved something I couldn't find it or remember it's new home. :(

I just can't handle the full time upkeep of home ownership, and the requirements society demands so I'm telling myself it will be easier in the van. My doctor isn't so sure I'm not just trading tough decisions for tough decisions. (Like where will I park tonight?) So I plan, once I can get going, to spend the majority of the first few months at established campsites.

I've downsized and begun doing things at home that I know I'll do in van. I've always been a camper, and taught advanced outdoor living for eons, so I do know a bit. But knowing and being able to do are two different things. I have to do easier, work smarter not harder.

Where there is a will, there is a way. Find out what you can live without, and what you have to have to live. I've done that and am making room and access for what I really need to have.

You can do this. Slowly but surely?

My doctor just reminded me today to step back and give it time right now.... wait to put house on market bc so many stressors right this week.... I hope to get it on the market by Jun 1st now.... orginal date was Feb 1.

Hopeful,

I understand the mental block when it comes to solar. I have always been curious (still am), never had an issue with researching any topic to death..till I understood it completely. Yet...somehow when it comes to solar and 12v , my brain just refuses to knuckle down and get to it! I've had to force myself to learn this! Something I am not used to having to do!

Each night I set a period of time aside and I just do it! I make notes, and write questions out to keep me on track. Just like I was in school again.

For me, this has been the "price" of choosing this lifestyle. I spent years living out of a car basically...now I want a bit more of a platform to live in. So, this is what must be done to have both some creature comforts and mobility both.

Step back, close your eyes, and breathe
Solar can be hard or it can be easy, depending
I find a lot of the discussion on solar makes my eyes glaze, and I actually understand 12v to the extent a mechanic has to
My plan, if I do solar, is just figure out what my usage is, then ask not what all the theory is, but 'what do I need?' and go from there
Yes, I will kill some batteries, and yes, I will get some things wrong, nobody is perfect, but I think I'll muddle through OK
As to builds, Van Life Crises has two good (IMO) no skill conversions using off the shelf stuff

Now as to the physical limitations, that's hard for me because I really don't have any, so I never have had to learn to deal, but I agree with AT that hooking and unhooking a trailer might not be a good idea with 1 arm that 'sort of' or 'mostly' works
here are the two van builds i referenced, maybe you'll get ideas, either of them can be modified as needed, or maybe they're not so good with your limitations, it's hard for someone with full use to really understand the levels to which not having full use affects things
http://www.vanlifecrisis.com/2015/09/the-320-1-hour-van-conversion.html
http://www.vanlifecrisis.com/2014/12/van-life-crisis-1-week-no-skill-van.html
Maybe this helps, maybe it doesn't, I dunno

Definitely try a rental. I presume you've done some camping out of your current vehicle and aren't confident using that route. That experience will however give you a base line to evaluate other vehicles. Buying private party used is the way to go - you can tell more about the vehicle from talking to the owner than you can with a mechanical evaluation. Which you should do of course as well. With vehicles there is a point where the market for cash buyers drops off. If you have that amount of cash you can probably offer a better deal than what a dealer, with financing, would offer. It may also be possible to arrange your own financing, but I am not an expert in that. To close the transaction take a cashier's check etc to the DMV and finalize the transfer title at the counter.

Stress related fatigue is a complex issue. I've been told I don't have PTSD but I don't believe that, even if it is only moderately severe. The science around chronic fatigue, which has stress triggers both at onset and during flares, is getting better. It is still controversial and also mired in institutional bias. Keeping up the fight as your energy allows and walking away when it doesn't works for me. There are a lot of overlapping conditions, Post Exercise Malaise Syndrome is one of the more recent and promising. Google it.

Hopeful said:
I don't know, I think my disability may prevent me from living the full time dream, even camping occasionally.  It seems as though things are so complicated. AC, solar, shower, security, bathroom.... Where to camp, where not to camp..... 

I can't use my left arm very much and my right arm is bad as well and heart problems if I use my arm the wrong way or turn my head. So I need all things RV related to be simple and this doesn't seem to be the case at all.

I will be okay with money but money doesn't buy ability or know-how.  :(

Depressing. Just put my house on the market a few hours ago, maybe need to rethink selling. :(

Money is most always an issue but it can also overcome a lot of problems. 

Only you can decide if money can overcome your problems.

Can you physically connect & disconnect a trailer? 
The backing, parking, setting up and tooling down the road are all skills that are not too hard to learn. If your body will allow it. 
Get a used trailer, find someone to help you learn what needs to be learned (a couple of hours in a large empty area & you can LEARN to back up a trailer).  The same with all the rest of this.

Cannot physically do a trailer?  
A small class "A" does not take as much labor in setting up (no hook up & they do have automatic stabilizers). You will still have to hook up the electrical plug in & maybe the sewer hose.
The class A has the room for a full time bed (on climbing required), a full time table, couch, bathroom (shower)  and kitchen.

Where to stay is another question... there are campgrounds all over the place either for a single night, a week, a month or the season. Public places, free places & everything in between.  I use http://www.rvparkreviews.com/ to look at parks in an area I'm interested in. If I'm traveling or looking for something different I like http://freecampsites.net/

For some 'camping' is being out & away from everyone sitting around a campfire others don't mind neighbors in an RV park or campground where the scenery is great. I've looked at an RV as a way to live with "cheap rent",  I've stayed at some places I liked for really cheap in a park with the full month rate.

All the bits & pieces of RVing that you read about & listed are simple things to learn or do when the time comes, most of them will be taken care of by the second day you're living the life.

Not sure that selling your house is the best idea without a sold plan but your circumstance might make it the right thing.

Don't give up hope, if you really want to give the mobile life a try it can be done!

I would put the house sale on hold for now. Try car camping to see if you even like camping for more than a weekend at a time.
Like others have said, a place to sleep, a means to eat, some plastic bags a bucket with a foam seat to dispose of the old food. None of it needs to be heavy.

Great advice here. There's an RVing with disabilities Facebook group as well that you might want to check out. I had heard about it but hadn't joined it cuz my longtime fibro and chronic fatigue have gotten a lot better recently. Your post made me remember it and I just joined because I'm still feeling somewhat limited.

I'm also trying to do this for the first time but unlike you I'm living with family and don't have a house to sell. That's a tough decision, I don't envy you.

I'm trying to go the cheapo route first and buy an older used van to do a simple conversion, and take short trips to see how it is...though I know this can backfire on me with unforeseen repairs to the van. But then I figure I can ditch it or sell it for parts. And I don't want to do a more expensive option when I don't know if I will like it.

Good luck to you!