Disabled Shower Tent?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Headache

Reaction score
I got around to using my shower tent and it worked out okay with some caveats.  I really need some kind of bar or chair to balance myself but it can't take up much more room because I take up a lot of space.  Also I'm trying not to bring a lot of stuff but this might be too important.   I love my showers!

I should have gotten one of those 2 room ones but this single stall one was super cheap because it was an open box so I couldn't pass it up. 

Has anyone made like some sort of changing room right outside the door?  Or what else have you done to mitigate balance issues without taking a bunch of equipment?

If you use a folding potty chair it solves two problems, just lift up the seat and set your 5 gallon bucket out side when showering. When breaking camp some fold flat and store. Another option is to use a milk crate or taller more sturdy water bottle shpping crate to steady the 5 gallon bucket and sit on it. Another is an old walker you can sit it out side and use it as a towell rack when done, the old ones fold flat also.

If you have an aluminum portable toilet they can be used as a bathroom with a shower. Dual use is always good! I've helped build a van that the toilet portion could be put inside at night by cutting an opening in the bed platform and by flipping the foam pad back can be used at night without having to get completely out of the bed. And during the day was put back in the shower tent for use. He also kept a folding walker handy in the tent to keep his Ballance and independence. I've caught up with him a few times and it's better than the equipment he had in his house. Mainly not having to move very far is the key to him being able to do more without help.
And it's been life changing for him to have that freedom to do things on his own. I hope you can do the same and open up more options for your travels.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I have a folding plastic stool that is the perfect height for perching ones hiney on when showering, then dries easily and can also be used for other things, like a small table.

Balance when showering is important, and one would not want to fall, taking shower tent along with. :angel:

If you have one of the folding aluminum , two wheeled, walking frames you can use it for your balance bars in the shower. They are not heavy and they do fold up flat for portability in vehicles or for storing in a closet. They are designed to be stable to support people with balance issues. I frequently see them for sale in thrift stores so it won't be a high priced item. Look for one that includes a seat. If you have balance issues it will be good to have around for walking over uneven terrain when out camping. They are made for indoor and outdoors so using it in a shower tent should be just fine. It will take up less room than a traditional chair but at the same time give you more support when you sit and when you stand back up as you can put your hands on the bars while making those moves. They do come in X-large sizes if you need that version.

I'm really liking the folding walker idea a lot also because I can set my things on it while I shower. It will also come in handy when I get knee replacements.

Headache said:
I'm really liking the folding walker idea a lot also because I can set my things on it while I shower.  It will also come in handy when I get knee replacements.

Headache, thank you for bringing up this issue. I too have permanent brain damage, along with other health problems.  Balance is a big deal for me, even when laying flat in a bed.

Thanks again, gives more to think about and make changes for the better.

WanderingCanuck said:
A quick search revealed this chair/cane...

Something similar might be obtained or cobbled together from things you already have.

Not really.  I don't have any extra space to accumulate anything but the most useful.  That might be true if I lived in a house or apartment. 

Also I need this for balance.  If I was to lean against that one(especially with only 3 legs) it would tip right over and I along with it.

broken ed said:
Balance is a big deal for me, even when laying flat in a bed.

Thanks again, gives more to think about and make changes for the better.

It is imperative to ensure you are comfortable, reasonably happy and SAFE when doing this.   You never know when you are going to find yourself alone and on your own.   Or if you are like me, feeling awkward enough around others that you can't stay around for long but at the same time don't feel safe alone. 

It could mean your life if you aren't careful and cognizant of your reality.

Latest posts