dirty job

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canine

Reaction score
Beet harvest inMontana/N. Dakota.2 weeks straight,12 hours on,12 hrs off.Pay usually comes in around $2500 for 2 wks.Maybe me and Vic will see you there.

It is a dirty job, but there are much worse jobs out there. This one if you show up on time, make a decent effort, and stay for the entire obligation, it is a good deal. I have friends that do it and they make their food ahead of time so they don't need to cook every day, which makes it a lot easier with the little time they have at the end of the day. I believe one does the night shift while the other does the day shift so they don't have to fight (lol) over the shower and can take care of their kitty more easily.

Whenever I hear of jobs like this, I just repeat my personal mantra over and over:

"Hard work is fascinating.  I could sit and watch other people do it all day."

Regards
John

I haven't done it, but what I've heard is that the RVers they hire aren't doing the harvesting, most of them wouldn't be up to it and it is mechanically done.

Every truckload of beets has too be tested (I don't really know what that means) and the RVers are doing the testing.
Bob

That flyer confirms my understanding, you aren't a field hand out working the fields. They know that the RVers they are trying to get to work for them are 65-80 years old, they don't want them to be farm hands.

It's still hard for us older folks but mainly because they work 12 hour days. BUT, it's only for a very short time, I'd rather go there knowing I was going to be in misery for 2 weeks and get a bunch of money rather than go to Amazon and be in a dull misery for 3 months.

One thing to be aware of is it is extremely weather dependent. Anything wrong at all with the weather and you don't work. But, I've been told you have contracted to work a certain number of days. You may be there a month to get your 2 weeks.

I've given thought to doing it just so I can report on it. I still might.
Bob

Just got the call from the beet harvest.Me and Vic will be working in Drayton ND.About 30 miles from Manitoba.Guess we'll jump on the camper remodel and try to get it ready.We were planning on going to the UP in August,so I guess we'll slide on over to ND for the harvest.

I used to work 12 hour shifts in retail. I'd rather harvest beets all day. But, as others have pointed out, you're not doing the harvesting.

Sounds like good pay though.

12 hour shifts on a 4-3 or 3-3-2 schedule are not bad if you keep busy. The longer "weekends" on the 4-3 are great, but that 4th 12-hr day kinda sucks. I worked it in Semiconductor Manufacturing for years as an equipment maintenance technician. The worst part was being on the factory floor for morning pass down at 5:45 am, and for the two years I did it on the east coast, I never saw the sun. If there was nothing broken or needing preventative maintenance, I got bored out of my skull sitting in my cubicle.

I would bet the beet harvest thing is pretty good. 2 weeks of 12 hour days would be grueling, but I think that would be offset by the light at the end of the two week tunnel and the camaraderie at the campground in the evenings.

um bobcat operator. I could to that. although 12hrs in a bobcat, I would be beat. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
um bobcat operator.  I could to that.  although 12hrs in a bobcat,  I would be beat.  highdesertranger

My kidneys would be sooooo angry!