Different Method Securing Furniture

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattkcc

Reaction score
When I was building my camper van I didn't want to permanently secure the furniture to the van floor. I've built several boats in the past but couldn't figure out a method that wouldn't be a pain in the butt to remove. My interior is built out of one by lumber and 1/4" and 3/8" [plywood. Building boats teaches you how to built light and strong. I decided to eliminate screws or nuts and choose industrial hook and loop 2" wide adhesive backed. My bed legs are six 1x3's on the legs on the ends I made a runner 1x3 that runs flat and secured to the legs. I ran the Velcro on the full length of the runner and on the floor. Then carefully laid down my bed onto the Velcro, this Velcro is for semi-permanent installation. Later I needed to remove the bed from my van to work on the van and I couldn't pull the darn bed up, I finally got a pry bar and was able to get the bed out, my bed is 34"x74". 

The Velcro got tested when I was returning from a month long trip to Colorado on I-70 East bound crossing Kansas. I was doing 65 mph when a slow vehicle suddenly turned into my lane cutting me off, I slammed on the brakes and everything in the back that wasn't secured came flying into the bulkhead. When I was able to get off the highway and check out the back off the van it was a mess. However, my bed was secure even though containers under the bed had slammed into the front legs. I've also used the Velcro to secure the battery box and will use it for a future cabinet I will build this winter. I can get away with building with thinner wood by not buying the cheapest stuff the big box stores sells. I go to the "premium wood section" this premium wood is nothing special 20 years ago it would of been graded much lower. I look for boards that have the straightest grain that also is close together, any nots must be small and stable. When I build the cabinet it will be with 1x2 frame and 1/4" ply, I also select a higher grade exterior plywood. I would use marine grade but the quality of it has lowered so it will still have some voids.

i had the same concern when building my van. i wanted to be able to pull everything out easily if i needed to. i used screws on somethings and stainless steel cable ties on others. my bed frame is just held down with ratchet straps.

nice to hear others sharing options! thanks

Cool, needing a crow bar to get the bed out, LOL. My van build is very minimalist, and I also wanted to be able to take everything out in 15-20 minutes, and also not make any permanent holes in the body or frame of the van. So I have tied the table to the wooden lashing boards using eyehooks and strong nylon ties, and similar for a small cabinet with the nylon ties going into preexisting holes in the inner walls. The ties probably would not hold in case of a real accident, hmmm.

My mattress is across in the back, as I removed the lower lashing boards, like Matty did. This month I plan to build 2 frames, 55" long and 13" high, out of 1x12 boards to go over the wheel wells, and then use a piece of plywood over this  behind the vertical strut to hold the mattress. That strut will keep the whole thing in place. The mattress is foam 8" thick, also 74"x38".
- https://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/10/2015/11/2013-gmc-savana-1500-cargo-van-trunk.png